Top 10 College Wrestlers

cbg

I agree with much on both sides of this discussion. My wrestling mentor was Coach (Turner)Jackson, who was a 2X DII Champion. In our discussions over the years, he has told me several times that he would have traded both of his National titles to have been a DI All-American. He failed to make weight once and lost close matches his Senior year. This attests to the fact that DI is a tougher, more respected tournament and competition level in general.

With this said, however, let me also illustrate that there are exceptions. During his career, he also had wins over 3X DI Champion (and OW?), Mark Churella (Michigan)...2X DI Champion and OW, Mike Sheets (Ok State)... and DI National Champion, Ricky Stewart (Ok State). Obviously, this type of performance is the exception rather than the rule, but still impressive regardless of classification.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

taketop no where in any of my posts did i say that if you are a division two wrestler and you win nationals you cant be as good as the division 1 champ. i simply stated facts about wrestlers performances against division one competition. if you cant win at the division one level then you dont deserve to be on a list above someone who can. i thought the argument was about TN college wrestlers and who was better. so im not really sure what those athletes have to do with it besides turner jackson.

good post legman. that is exactly the right way I look at it. you have to take it on a individual basis. turner jackson was very good and had quality wins over division one competition. thus i would put him on the list because he has proven he can compete at the highest level.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just looking at the DII national rankings and noticed that Raymond Dunning is currently the #1 ranked 141 in the country!

Not saying that he belongs in this list, but I thought this was a great accomplishment from a former TN wrestler and thought this would be the most acceptable place to make this post.

Congratulations to Raymond!

Pat Smartt from Chattanooga might break into your top 5. placed 6th at NCAA for Lehigh in 1963. grew up in Chattanooga ... Howard L. was 8th at NCAAs ..

Pat won two Eastern Conference titles at Lehigh and is first national prep champ from the South (1959 as a senior at McCallie).

Harlow was s 3x NCAA finalist .. won it once. 3x National AAU champ and 2x OW

World Silver Medalist

Tablishi Bronze Medalist

Mid South, state and national prep champ in 1962 .. OW at all three