Smyrna 2009 schedule

my2cents

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with that is what a number of teams are going to face. With 6 teams only 3 teams will be automatic qualifiers. Everyone (and anyone) else will have to qualify as wild cards. If I am not mistaken, the first tie breaker is overall record. There are going to be a number of schools that will guarantee themselves wins as opposed to playing somebody tough just to give themselves a shot to get in the playoffs. Now IF (and this is a big if) you KNOW that you can get one of the automatic spots every year, then go ahead and schedule away to your hearts content. I just don't know how many schools and coaches will do that.

This is the problem I have with the new system and I'm sure Smyrna may have the same issues as my team Ravenwood. Smaller or weaker teams wouldn't schedule them in the past when non region games really didn't matter. Now that they weigh much heavier, no one will want to play a good team if they think they have any shot at the playoffs. It was hard enough for Ravenwood to get 3 non region games and look who we had to get...BA,MBA,and Goodpasture, all strong D II schools. No way we can continue to play that type schedule, but who do you get, and now they need 5 non region games. This may end up being a major mess IMO. What's everybody elses opinion?

This is the problem I have with the new system and I'm sure Smyrna may have the same issues as my team Ravenwood. Smaller or weaker teams wouldn't schedule them in the past when non region games really didn't matter. Now that they weigh much heavier, no one will want to play a good team if they think they have any shot at the playoffs. It was hard enough for Ravenwood to get 3 non region games and look who we had to get...BA,MBA,and Goodpasture, all strong D II schools. No way we can continue to play that type schedule, but who do you get, and now they need 5 non region games. This may end up being a major mess IMO. What's everybody elses opinion?

100% agree. My team, Gallatin, is having a really tough time scheduling opponents so I hear. Even Smyrna opted not to continue the series. Not sure why?

100% agree. My team, Gallatin, is having a really tough time scheduling opponents so I hear. Even Smyrna opted not to continue the series. Not sure why?

Not sure that the Bulldogs didn't want to renew the series, but Gallatin only had two open games to schedule and I think they already had them filled when Smyrna called. Smyrna so far is having a tough time finding games. Possibles seem to be Cookeville and maybe Tullahoma and that would still leave three games open. The new districts with 8 teams had no trouble filling in their open spots, with only 6 teams its going to be tough to find 5 games.

Not sure that the Bulldogs didn't want to renew the series, but Gallatin only had two open games to schedule and I think they already had them filled when Smyrna called. Smyrna so far is having a tough time finding games. Possibles seem to be Cookeville and maybe Tullahoma and that would still leave three games open. The new districts with 8 teams had no trouble filling in their open spots, with only 6 teams its going to be tough to find 5 games.

The idea behind the new regions was mainly geographic. It seems funny that the new region is going to force Smyrna to play Cookeville and Tullahoma. Did they trave that far in the previous region set-up? Looks like the TSSAA had a good idea, but it needs to be fine tuned. Has anyone thought about out of state teams? It is a quick ride up I-65 to Franklin, KY and Bowling Green.

Guest catsvoice

Smyrna won't be scheduling Tullahoma this two-year cycle because the Wildcats' schedule is already set. However, being in a six-team district (8-AAA) like Smyrna we can feel your pain. Tullahoma has a full slate next year, with all five non-region games against 6A teams: Blackman, Coffee Co., Warren Co., Cookeville, and Siegel.

The idea behind the new regions was mainly geographic. It seems funny that the new region is going to force Smyrna to play Cookeville and Tullahoma. Did they trave that far in the previous region set-up? Looks like the TSSAA had a good idea, but it needs to be fine tuned. Has anyone thought about out of state teams? It is a quick ride up I-65 to Franklin, KY and Bowling Green.

Our out of Region games this season were Brentwood High, Brentwood Academy and Gallatin. The Bulldogs in the last few seasons have not really had to travel far for games. The staff may have to look at some long distances to get the schedule full. I guess they could just play every team in Rutherford Cty twice.

Our out of Region games this season were Brentwood High, Brentwood Academy and Gallatin. The Bulldogs in the last few seasons have not really had to travel far for games. The staff may have to look at some long distances to get the schedule full. I guess they could just play every team in Rutherford Cty twice.

It is a shame that teams have to try so hard to find teams to play. You can't blame anyone for wanting to play easier teams to get wins. The playoffs are the goal, so you have to do whatever it takes to get there. I just hate the fact some teams are willing to skip on good games out of fear of what it'll do to their overall record and chances of getting the wildcard berth.

It is a shame that teams have to try so hard to find teams to play. You can't blame anyone for wanting to play easier teams to get wins. The playoffs are the goal, so you have to do whatever it takes to get there. I just hate the fact some teams are willing to skip on good games out of fear of what it'll do to their overall record and chances of getting the wildcard berth.

That seems to be the case. Coach contacted several name schools who only needed two games and you wouldn't believe some on the teams they scheduled out of region games with, I think you only get to the top by playing the top teams. Thats what Coach Shad always said!!

That seems to be the case. Coach contacted several name schools who only needed two games and you wouldn't believe some on the teams they scheduled out of region games with, I think you only get to the top by playing the top teams. Thats what Coach Shad always said!!

Do you know what weeks (0-10) are the non-region games for?