Knoxville Catholic vs. Mitchell

playoffsarecool

That originated back in the 60's. It was used quite often in west Ky and west Tn when schools often had 11 two way players. It was called hotdogging at first....but later became known as the "James Brown , the king of Soul," injury. If you remember at the end of one of James Brown's songs , his backups would help him off the stage repeatedly as he would be near collapse......and he would come back repeatedly run back onstage to continue to sing. We would play a team that would use all its time-outs and a player would be "injured" every minute during the last 6 min of the game and prolong the game....rarely when the team was ahead would this tactic be used. Players always would come back in the game. The fad got around and people would say, ...if we get tired...we'll pull a James Brown on them....the refs have to call time out to "protect" the player......when the refs caught on ....and would start to warn the teams about their actions bordering "unsportsmanlike conduct".... the refs would then be called "Sgt Friday"....because they went "by the book".....even the bands would play the theme from Dragnet.

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> There you have it!!!!!!!!

That's some funny stuff! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WH has a long history of thinking and acting like they are God's gift to football. However, they are a good football team. If KC beat them then I think that KC will win it all. Sounds like Mitchell isn't a very well coached team, especially on Special Teams. KC should be able to capatilze on that.

Ace,

1) What makes you so sure that Memphis Mitchell is not better than White House, as your statement boldly implies?

2) Have you stopped to consider the distinct possibility that, despite their unimpressive won-loss record (and other alleged short-comings), Mitchell could still very well be better than BOTH White House and Knoxville Catholic?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look-- I strongly suspect that many people on this board (especially those who have not seen Mitchell play) might be guilty of dismissing Mitchell's chances to defeat KC, merely because of Mitchell's less-than-stellar record!

On the surface, such a conclusion is completely understandible and rational. It's quite logical.

A closer inspection of Mitchell's won-loss record, however, reveals a radically different picture of its TRUE team strength: Mitchell is a supremely tested, formidable & dangerous opponent for anybody in Class 3A, including the undefeated Knoxville Catholic!

Of course, we all know that the (undoubtedly) heavily-favored KC may still defeat MM...

News Flash: Folks, do not be shocked to see the 9-5 Mithell Tigers defeat the 14-0 KC Fighting Irish. It would NOT be an upset!! Trust me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line: Forget about Mitchell's poor won-loss record! They are no fluke. They are uniquely prepared & equipped to win the 3A State Title!!

As a Lipscomb fan, I know nothing of Catholic. However, I've seen Mitchell three times over the years and twice in the last 16 games.

They are very big. Offensive line averages 306 lbs a man. A different kid on the d-line, the nose guard is 372 or so. They are good running the ball straight ahead. Couldn't go wide at all. They quit trying after the first four or five times went poorly. Slant pattern to number 7 is good play. They only threw over the middle one time and our guy dropped what would have been a returned interception. All passes are short and to the side. Athleticism makes them yards after the catch. Kicking game has improved; but, still not what I would call great.

Their approach to playing has improved greatly. They did have two late hits five yards out of bounds; but, overall played much better as far as mistakes go. Penalties and stupid things were really cut down from prior meetings. Overall they played solid football.

Note to Mitchell coaching staff: when receiving a punt you are allowed to play with eleven players. I didn't count on the first punt when our longsnapper airmailed the ball. However, on the other three punt plays you lined up with nine, ten and ten players. Now that you've done that on film, it would probably be best to rectify that situation.

Sounds like the are similar to Austin-East as far as athletes.

Ace,

1) What makes you so sure that Memphis Mitchell is not better than White House, as your statement boldly implies?

2) Have you stopped to consider the distinct possibility that, despite their unimpressive won-loss record (and other alleged short-comings), Mitchell could still very well be better than BOTH White House and Knoxville Catholic?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look-- I strongly suspect that many people on this board (especially those who have not seen Mitchell play) might be guilty of dismissing Mitchell's chances to defeat KC, merely because of Mitchell's less-than-stellar record!

On the surface, such a conclusion is completely understandible and rational. It's quite logical.

A closer inspection of Mitchell's won-loss record, however, reveals a radically different picture of its TRUE team strength: Mitchell is a supremely tested, formidable & dangerous opponent for anybody in Class 3A, including the undefeated Knoxville Catholic!

Of course, we all know that the (undoubtedly) heavily-favored KC may still defeat MM...

News Flash: Folks, do not be shocked to see the 9-5 Mithell Tigers defeat the 14-0 KC Fighting Irish. It would NOT be an upset!! Trust me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line: Forget about Mitchell's poor won-loss record! They are no fluke. They are uniquely prepared & equipped to win the 3A State Title!!

TraderB I'm sure that MM is no fluke , you dont make it to the big dance by FLUKE, and far as win-loss record it doesnt matter, believe me (LA 5-5 in 05 won state). This is high school football anything is possible and I dont know what anyones feelings about MM is but I'm sure that KC (the only one that matters)will not over look MM. I would say TraderB that if any team in the state,undeafted was beat by a 9-5 team, it would be an upset. Congratulations to both teams and good luck. KC bring that gold back east.

Catholic is very similar to David Lipscomb.

They run a variation of the Wing T, except unlike most teams that run the Wing T, they line up very tight and come off low and hard from a 4 point stance. They run the offense very methodical with quick and precision timing. You must account for all three backs (FB, TB and WB) as they will fake to at least one of them on every play and sometimes two if they are running misdirection/inside reverse (similar to what DL runs). You will also have to account for the QB as they run some option and he can run pretty well.

They have good team speed, tackle well, strip well (caused 3 TOs v. WH on strips) and play excellent assignment football, esp on defense. They do seem to have trouble with teams that have great team speed and can recover to the outside, esp if their backs bounce outside. This was one of White House's weaknesses...they were packing it in the middle to stop the between tackle and when Catholic ran outside the tackle, WHouse seemed to struggle pursuing to the outside...couldnt really string the play out. A team with great team speed will be able to string them out...AE did a good job at this early in the year.

Most all of their passing is off of playaction (similar to DL) so DBs must be disciplined. QB has good size and has a strong, live arm. Hood is a big target at TE and has good wheels for a big man. Both starting backs are hard-nose runners whom can take it the distance on any given play...but neither close to the caliber of Rogers.

Kicking game is solid...Kicker/Punter is a transfer from Stone Memorial and can kill punts, hit the long FG and hits most kickoffs inside the 5.

White House did hit some big gainers on Catholic and ran alot of pro-style formations and plays, and I am sure Mitchell will see some things on film from that game that they can have success with. For the most part Catholic usually keeps the offense in front of them and does not give up many long scoring strikes....bend but dont break for the most part.

Mitchell is very big and very quick. On offense, they will use a pro-I or slot-I, out of which they will run TB iso and a very good counter sweep with the slot. The QB is a scrambler but is not a running threat. Three outstanding offensive players--Keiwone Malone (#7) wideout, best I've ever seen in high school, claws for hands with 4.5 speed--only a junior. He caught 13 balls against us (Dyersburg) and 8 more against Lipscomb. If you try to play Cover 2 or man, he will kill you in the corners. Artaves Gibson, TB, 205 lbs, a workhorse who got 162 against Lipscomb (but shouldn't against Catholic). Dyersburg held him to 45 yards on 16 carries. #6, Cortez Hudson, WB, good speed and good receiver in the flats. O line is huge. averaging about 300 lbs. (LT Donovan Robinson weights 370!). but best linemen are RG and RT. Lipscomb was small up front on D, tried to run a 5 with NG in gap and got whipped when Mitchell audibled away from the gap.

Mitchell defense is so-so. They will put 8 in the box, possible off a 6-2 look and will bring the inside backers constantly. I've seen Catholic and they will stop the Irish for a time, but will lack the discpline to account for everyone on the Wing T misdirection. #10 (LaQuentin Hall) is a good LB. Catholic will probably have to throw to loosen them up.

Mitchell will be more of a challenge for Catholic than Lipscomb would have been, since Mitchell is more athletic. Mitchell's victory over Lipscomb was no fluke. They had huge statistical edges in rushing, time of possession, etc. Their usual problems--penalties, lack o a kicking game and poor coaching--hurt them again. Catholic actually scored 5 TDs to Lipscomb's 3, but woes in the kicking game sent into into overtime.

Dyersburg played Mitchell in the quarters last year (2007) as well as this year. At that time, we were running a double slot, midline offense with full reads and they never stopped us (nor us them). They won 40-31 and we punted one time and rushed for 400 yards. This will be an interesting matchup in Murfreesboro. I expect Catholic will trail early but will win on turnovers and penalties.

Mitchell is very big and very quick. On offense, they will use a pro-I or slot-I, out of which they will run TB iso and a very good counter sweep with the slot. The QB is a scrambler but is not a running threat. Three outstanding offensive players--Keiwone Malone (#7) wideout, best I've ever seen in high school, claws for hands with 4.5 speed--only a junior. He caught 13 balls against us (Dyersburg) and 8 more against Lipscomb. If you try to play Cover 2 or man, he will kill you in the corners. Artaves Gibson, TB, 205 lbs, a workhorse who got 162 against Lipscomb (but shouldn't against Catholic). Dyersburg held him to 45 yards on 16 carries. #6, Cortez Hudson, WB, good speed and good receiver in the flats. O line is huge. averaging about 300 lbs. (LT Donovan Robinson weights 370!). but best linemen are RG and RT. Lipscomb was small up front on D, tried to run a 5 with NG in gap and got whipped when Mitchell audibled away from the gap.

Mitchell defense is so-so. They will put 8 in the box, possible off a 6-2 look and will bring the inside backers constantly. I've seen Catholic and they will stop the Irish for a time, but will lack the discpline to account for everyone on the Wing T misdirection. #10 (LaQuentin Hall) is a good LB. Catholic will probably have to throw to loosen them up.

Mitchell will be more of a challenge for Catholic than Lipscomb would have been, since Mitchell is more athletic. Mitchell's victory over Lipscomb was no fluke. They had huge statistical edges in rushing, time of possession, etc. Their usual problems--penalties, lack o a kicking game and poor coaching--hurt them again. Catholic actually scored 5 TDs to Lipscomb's 3, but woes in the kicking game sent into into overtime.

Dyersburg played Mitchell in the quarters last year (2007) as well as this year. At that time, we were running a double slot, midline offense with full reads and they never stopped us (nor us them). They won 40-31 and we punted one time and rushed for 400 yards. This will be an interesting matchup in Murfreesboro. I expect Catholic will trail early but will win on turnovers and penalties.

#10 is not Lequinton Hall ( I know it say it on the roster) however it is none other than Andrew Franklin. Andrew Franklin who is originally #5 had that jersey cut off of him when he knocked his self out hitting a player from Trezevant and was taking to the hospital by ambulance. So he wears #10 instead. So now, so much for the players faking injuries to get timeouts. We hit and we hit hard at all cost. The unfortunate part is that we sometimes knock ourselves out. Our DB #8 had a concussion Friday night as well. We will be more than ready come Saturday, so I am not going to type my fingers off saying this and that, all I will say is that we will be more than ready !