Knoxville Catholic vs. Mitchell

playoffsarecool

Was the kicker hurt Evan Sanders? I hope all is well. Congrats KC from SC!

Evan Sanders was the one hurt. They were kicking a field goal as time expired and MM was way offsides, like 3 of their players, Sanders attempted the kick and was hit in the leg (completely vulnerable.) The kick was blocked and tyler (QB/holder) got crunched running for it but no score or anything on the play. As for Sanders, i think he has a fractured Fibula. I believe thats what i heard him say. He was out of the game after this and Luke Smith took over punting and kicking duties. He was the punter until Sanders transferred. The worst injury today was definitely Michael Bonfini trying to make the tackle. I saw it happen and him laying on the ground and his foot turned at a 90 degree angle. GROSS. So some big injuries for Catholic.

Congratulations Catholic, I'm proud to be a part of the school and i have loved watching you this year. All you seniors played great and I hope that we can get there next year.

As for MM, they shot themselves in the foot and I think that they had a slight talent edge, but it is how you use your talent. That is all about the coaching and the discipline instilled by the Coaches.

Go irish

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still trying to figure out how this team lost its first four games??? Your right the coaching lost the game for Mitchell. How in the world do you not give the ball to Octavius Gibson is beyond me. He was killing KC at the end. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Congratulations to KC on a great year and way to bring that gold ball back to east TN. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

They lost four strait games because they played tougher, BIGGER schools, all of whom posessed lots of athletes & team SPEED:

-------------------------------------

1) 5A - Whitehaven.... Bona Fide 5A Title contender with, arguably, the best defense in Mphs (no disrecpect to White Station).

2) 4A - Melrose.... Bona Fide 4A Title contender. Only a kicking game away, perhaps, from advancing to the 4A Semi's (and beyond??).

3) Alabama - Daphne...... Alabama power (don't know much else about them).... I think they're a BIGGER school than Mitchell's 3A division.

4) Fairley......... 4A power. Region 8 runner-up.

---------------------------------------------------

Memphis Mitchell played an awfully, awfully tough schedule against some top-notch, bigger schools!!

This prepared them for an eventual playoff run against SMALLER (weaker?) 3A schools, teams which (in all probability) posessed far less team speed & athletes, compared to those BIGGER schools mentioned above.

This formula has served Mitchell very well, for the last two years........Their former Athletic Director (Galillee, I think) was responsible for this brutal scheduling.

I was also confused as to why they went away from running with Gipson. I figured it was because he was getting worn out or hurt. However, Redman was getting nailed all day when he would roll out, I can't imagine he was any less worn out.

I was definitely impressed with Mitchell's talent. They have a great core of WRs and a great RB. Did hear right that Gipson is just a sophmore? He's going to be terrorizing teams for a while! Very impressive RB. They would have been better if they had a better QB. I don't want to knock Redman because he is a very good athlete and can throw it, but I think they would have a better offense if they had a QB that was a more refined passer. With those weapons, if they had a QB that was accurate, their offense would be unstoppable.

All that being said, Mitchell got out coached. They aren't the first ones to have that happen to them though because Catholic has a great coaching staff. Congratulations to the Irish!

Just got home from the Boro. What a great day for the Irish!!!!!!!!! Great game , I knew it would be some hard hitting. Football is a contact sport, and these kids know this going into it. Congrats to Mitchell for a great season. I have known all year long that these kids would make it here. Catholic is such a well rounded team with no superstars. They just play so well together and love each other so much. I am so proud of them and their acomplishments this year. Congratulations to Alcoa and Maryville also. I am so sorry for the Bonfini kid. I was right in front of where it happened. It did look pretty gross. The stadium erupted when he returned from the hospital in the fourth quarter. Hope he can rehab before soccer season. Thanks Coach Pemberton for bringing the gold ball to the Bluff.

I was also confused as to why they went away from running with Gipson. I figured it was because he was getting worn out or hurt. However, Redman was getting nailed all day when he would roll out, I can't imagine he was any less worn out.

I was definitely impressed with Mitchell's talent. They have a great core of WRs and a great RB. Did hear right that Gipson is just a sophmore? He's going to be terrorizing teams for a while! Very impressive RB. They would have been better if they had a better QB. I don't want to knock Redman because he is a very good athlete and can throw it, but I think they would have a better offense if they had a QB that was a more refined passer. With those weapons, if they had a QB that was accurate, their offense would be unstoppable.

All that being said, Mitchell got out coached. They aren't the first ones to have that happen to them though because Catholic has a great coaching staff. Congratulations to the Irish!

Good points, VilleRam.

-------------------------------------------------------

Gipson is just a Sophomore.....

As a matter of fact, I do believe that Mitchell will be returning most of their starters, next season....Perhaps Galillee or somebody could addrerss that issue.

As a side note: Oakland leads Franklin 13-7 @ Halftime...

Oakland has been running, running, running & running the ball some more vs Franklin. Franklin is having a tough time stopping them!

Oakland's coaching staff, much to their credit, has not foolish attempted to start passing the ball! They are sticking with what's working. They ain't trying to fix it!

Oakland seems perfectly content on FORCING Franklin to stop the run....

As a matter of fact, now that I think about it....I don't recall Oakland attempting even 1 pass, the entire 1st-half! Heck, if they did then it couldn't have been more than once or twice.

SMART FOOTBALL, Oakland!!

----------------------------------------------------

Hey, Oakland fans.....Can Mitchell borrow ya'll coaching staff, next season?? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Just got home from the Boro. What a great day for the Irish!!!!!!!!! Great game , I knew it would be some hard hitting. Football is a contact sport, and these kids know this going into it. Congrats to Mitchell for a great season. I have known all year long that these kids would make it here. Catholic is such a well rounded team with no superstars. They just play so well together and love each other so much. I am so proud of them and their acomplishments this year. Congratulations to Alcoa and Maryville also. I am so sorry for the Bonfini kid. I was right in front of where it happened. It did look pretty gross. The stadium erupted when he returned from the hospital in the fourth quarter. Hope he can rehab before soccer season. Thanks Coach Pemberton for bringing the gold ball to the Bluff.

Congrats KC!! I was pulling for you, and I hope you all enjoy this one. I am afraid this may be the one and only with your move to 6A. Not trying to talk smack (my older sister is a KC grad) but I don't see you getting another one.

We are returning 16 starters. Gibson and malone the ol will return. All the big schools are drooling over. Gibson. Keep giving him the ball and we win. This is so frustating. And yes I did catch hades about the schedule the first 4 games but it paid off. If was still there iwould have fought for. Us to remain in 3a. I am so proud of the players. It was not their fault

Note to Catholic staff and team:

We started to notice from the Lipscomb Game with Mitchell in 2007 and then it really came to light this past Friday night. After Lipscomb big plays or series of big plays, A Mitchell player will go down with an injury on the field. He will stay there awhile and then head back over to their sideline and then will go back into the game. Can't say what the story actually is...a real injury or something to break the momentum of the opposing team. It happened 7 times this past Friday night. Everytime the player came back into the game very shortly after laying on the field for several minutes.

With this being said, I'm still pulling for the Tigers.

That originated back in the 60's. It was used quite often in west Ky and west Tn when schools often had 11 two way players. It was called hotdogging at first....but later became known as the "James Brown , the king of Soul," injury. If you remember at the end of one of James Brown's songs , his backups would help him off the stage repeatedly as he would be near collapse......and he would come back repeatedly run back onstage to continue to sing. We would play a team that would use all its time-outs and a player would be "injured" every minute during the last 6 min of the game and prolong the game....rarely when the team was ahead would this tactic be used. Players always would come back in the game. The fad got around and people would say, ...if we get tired...we'll pull a James Brown on them....the refs have to call time out to "protect" the player......when the refs caught on ....and would start to warn the teams about their actions bordering "unsportsmanlike conduct".... the refs would then be called "Sgt Friday"....because they went "by the book".....even the bands would play the theme from Dragnet.

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> There you have it!!!!!!!!

Well....obviously the "James Brown" injury?? did not come into play this week....nor did any of my "bulletin board" material I didn't provide.....so Mitchell had to rely on their "Coaching staff????" to help pull out the loss. Everybody who has coached football or played very much could have known that Mitchell was killing KC on the ground and gave up on the run too quick (i.e. look at what Oakland did to Franklin in the 5a game)

The Mitchell coach appeared to be more concerned with keeping his ears warm instead of having any headset or concentrating on the game. Poorest play calling I have seen late in the game...the players deserved better. Interesting that Galilee come down hard on the Coach and he used to be the AD there. Did Galilee hire this guy ...was there hard feelings....???

Poor west Tn is blanked again!!!

We are returning 16 starters. Gibson and malone the ol will return. All the big schools are drooling over. Gibson. Keep giving him the ball and we win. This is so frustating. And yes I did catch hades about the schedule the first 4 games but it paid off. If was still there iwould have fought for. Us to remain in 3a. I am so proud of the players. It was not their fault

Hello, Gallilee

Congratulations to your Mitchell Tigers on a great season, albeit on a disappointing ending.

It looks like Mitchell will be loaded again, next year. That would be awfully scary were Mitchell returning to 3A. As it stands, with Mitchell OPTING to move up to 4A, they're gonna have a tougher row to hoe!

The tough schedule that you set up for Mitchell, over the last couple of years, paid some serious dividends! I'm glad that the Mitchell administration ultimately gave you the "green light," to arrange such a brutal schedule.

The Mitchell administration did their job. You did your job. The Mitchell football kids did their job. The Mitchell coaching staff.....Well, sadly and unfortunately, they absolutely did not do their job today! They outsmarted themselves & let their kids down, in the process.

As for Mitchell OPTING to move up to 4A.........Why on earth did Mitchell's administration do that?

On the surface, it sure looks like a horrible decision!

-----------------------------------------

I'm of the opinion that Mitchell should have 2 (back-to-back) 3A State Titles in its trophy case! At the very least....one Title (today)!

I blame poor play-calling for Mitchell's loss today.

I blame poor play-calling for Mitchell's Semi-final loss to Lipscomb, last year, too......that last TD that DL scored absolutely would never have occured, IMO, had Mitchell been placed into the correct defense. They had that game won, but gave it away.....We all know that DL then turned that sure-defeat into a miraculous win. They then went on to blast Fulton, to win the 2007 3A State Title.

Sad situation for the Mitchell football players.

Dang traderb, you are acting like you lost the farm on this game. /mellow.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":mellow:" border="0" alt="mellow.gif" />

No, I did not lose the farm or anything like that...

I'm just passionate about our much-maligned, Mphs area football! It's not every year that we manage to field a football team in the State Championship game, you know. Whenever we do...well, it's darn exciting!

------------------------------------------------------------

As a result, it's especially bothersome & very frustrating to sit back and watch one of our area teams lose a State Championship, simply because of STUPID play-calling!

Most fans, myself included, can tolerate (for lack of a better word) our teams losing games due to getting outplayed; it's a whole lot more difficult a "pill" to swallow, however, when an inept coaching staff practically gives away the game -- a rare State Championship, in this case!

For two years running, Mitchell's players have done darn near everything that they needed to do...in order to be crowned 3A Champs. The only problem is that coaching negligence (make that GROSS negligence), prevented that from happening.

So, no--I didn't actually lose anything on today's football game; I just have a huge, fundamental problem dealing with gross incompetence and insanity!

------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S ..... I'll now stop and take 3 deep breaths, and think about MUS' ... OK.... OK, I'm alright now. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Just wanted to point out Maryville lost if you did not know.