Oneida in 09

remade28

It seems they are very hostile toward "outsiders" at Oneida. They may get a great coach from outside the program as well as inside...The Indians will likely be successful regardless of who the hire is. It is a great program, and Lambert certainly left it in better shape than he found it. Is Burchfield the same coach that has been at OHS for quite some time?

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems they are very hostile toward "outsiders" at Oneida. They may get a great coach from outside the program as well as inside...The Indians will likely be successful regardless of who the hire is. It is a great program, and Lambert certainly left it in better shape than he found it. Is Burchfield the same coach that has been at OHS for quite some time?

It may seem that way, especialy if your just reading posts and don't know the folks. I am sure the school board will try to find the best coach possible for next year and 10 years from now. By the way, one of the best coaches Oneida ever had (a man who is in the STATE hall of fame) came from outside Oneida. Coach Jim May.

Oneida continues to do well because of many great coaches. Tony Lambert being one. Coach Burchfield has sacrificed buckets of blood, sweat and tears...and thats just the work he has put into the field. Really unappreciated man behind the scene. Coach Sexton, Coach Pike and Coach Lay do an outstanding job with the middle school boys.

However, you cant just plug any ole Uncle Willy in the Chief Seat! It's got to be a man that understands small town football and especially small town politics. It's not the linebackers from Trousdale County that get ya...It's the Mommies and Daddies.

So, IMO, the first look should be to a man already established in Oneida or Scott Co. Really helps with the politics part of the job. But, Im sure the power that be will be prudent and look at others who might fit the bill and do a great job as well. Lets just hope it goes quickly.

It may seem that way, especialy if your just reading posts and don't know the folks. I am sure the school board will try to find the best coach possible for next year and 10 years from now. By the way, one of the best coaches Oneida ever had (a man who is in the STATE hall of fame) came from outside Oneida. Coach Jim May.

Oneida continues to do well because of many great coaches. Tony Lambert being one. Coach Burchfield has sacrificed buckets of blood, sweat and tears...and thats just the work he has put into the field. Really unappreciated man behind the scene. Coach Sexton, Coach Pike and Coach Lay do an outstanding job with the middle school boys.

However, you cant just plug any ole Uncle Willy in the Chief Seat! It's got to be a man that understands small town football and especially small town politics. It's not the linebackers from Trousdale County that get ya...It's the Mommies and Daddies.

So, IMO, the first look should be to a man already established in Oneida or Scott Co. Really helps with the politics part of the job. But, Im sure the power that be will be prudent and look at others who might fit the bill and do a great job as well. Lets just hope it goes quickly.

Smashmouth ,hate to hear yoy guys lost Coach Lambert. he will be missed in a big way. I'l be keeping up with AC. They just aquired a new fan.

I think it is time Oneida step up and rolls the dice. Coach W and Coach B are reluctant to be Head coaches again. I know Brewster is young but with all the experience in that staff why not let him get his feet wet. This years class has 16 seniors they will be no better time to let him. The kids trust him. I trust him, He will make a few mistakes, but all coaches need some one to take a chance on them.

I had heard through the rumor mill that perhaps he was applying for the job. Just wanted to see if there was any support.

Ummmm.....that'll be a BIG NEGATIVE from this fan.

We got what we need right here.I just hope we don't get in the same scenario we did years ago with co-head designations.It didn't work then and it won't work now.

I think it is time Oneida step up and rolls the dice. Coach W and Coach B are reluctant to be Head coaches again. I know Brewster is young but with all the experience in that staff why not let him get his feet wet. This years class has 16 seniors they will be no better time to let him. The kids trust him. I trust him, He will make a few mistakes, but all coaches need some one to take a chance on them.

I agree Injun. I think Coach Brewster does/can/will get the boys to work hard and focus in the weight room and the practice field. He has been with the boys for good and bad the last 4 years.

I think the x's and o's are overrated at this level. The question is do the players want to make the play? Then are the players willing to sacrifice what it takes to make that play? Not to undermine the science of the game??¦??¦Trying to read a defense or pick apart an offense is hard to do. (Actually, it??™s much easier from the stands, while eating nachos!)

It might be a bit of a gamble, but no one will out work Coach Brewster. I just think it??™s easier to learn how to be a good HC vs. learning how to be a good man/leader. Coach Brewster is a good man and leader. I hope he would be the leading candidate if he applies.

I agree Injun. I think Coach Brewster does/can/will get the boys to work hard and focus in the weight room and the practice field. He has been with the boys for good and bad the last 4 years.

I think the x's and o's are overrated at this level. The question is do the players want to make the play? Then are the players willing to sacrifice what it takes to make that play? Not to undermine the science of the game??¦??¦Trying to read a defense or pick apart an offense is hard to do. (Actually, it??™s much easier from the stands, while eating nachos!)

It might be a bit of a gamble, but no one will out work Coach Brewster. I just think it??™s easier to learn how to be a good HC vs. learning how to be a good man/leader. Coach Brewster is a good man and leader. I hope he would be the leading candidate if he applies.

I think that Coach Brewster is an outstanding coach and if the powers to be select him as the man, it will be a great choice.

Thanks for the info. How would the coaches react to an outsider...is their loyalty to Oneida or to Coach Lambert. I can see that is going to be hard to wear shoes similar to his at OHS...much less fill them.

This coach never applied for a job at AC, and I would know. This was not meant to be a slam at anyone at Oneida. I have the greatest respect for Robert Wright, Jim Burchfield and John Brewster. Coach Marsh has done an excellent job at Clinton. I had heard through the rumor mill that perhaps he was applying for the job. Just wanted to see if there was any support. Not trying to tell the good people of Oneida what to do. No offense meant.

Well you got to see> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

One thing I would like to say......no matter what, we have to get it right. We obviously have some excellent coaches in our system.....I think last years 13 - 1 record should verify that! Tony L. will be the first to tell you that he was only as good as the people he surrounded himself with. Am I implying that the present coaches are the best fit? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> I'm not ever going to tell anyone the way they should go, but this coaching staff has certainly MERITED tremendous consideration. R. Wright has spent the last two years teaching these kids the current offense. You can see they have picked it up well by the statistacle improvement this team has shown. J. Burchfield was the DC for the State Championship team and is clearly still invested in Oneida Football. He is a high character individual and well respected in coaching circles. John Brewster is returning to his roots......he has worn the O on his helmet and he has been through the coaching ladder for some time. He obviously started far away from home and built himself a resume before returning.....and he wants the job. Very good choice because the turnover (transition) in front of the players will not be significant and they will know what is expected of them!

I'm getting a few more names..... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Hey, it's a popular job! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> .....some of them surprised me. Then again.....NOTHING SURPRISES ME. Pujo....maybe we can give you a new hero! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Kaz

Thanks for the info. How would the coaches react to an outsider...is their loyalty to Oneida or to Coach Lambert. I can see that is going to be hard to wear shoes similar to his at OHS...much less fill them.

All of the coaches on the staff (w/the exception of Coach Buttram) coached/played @ Oneida b4 Coach Lambert came there to coach. As much as I am sure that they have respect & loyalty to him, I am sure that their true loyalties lie w/Oneida & will continue to work just as hard now as they did w/Coach Lambert. Once a new coach has been appointed, I expect that everybody will keep right on track & wish Coach Lambert the best of luck @ AC & move on w/Oneida football.