Oneida in 09

remade28

I think that Oneida will have a hard time making a repeat of last year. They are losing alot of solid players and on top of that a head coach. Good luck oneida but the odds are aginst you.

Shoot a mile buddy...when have the odds been with us? Why do you think our middle school plays teams like Anderson County, Clinton and Lenior City. It aint for the pretty drive. Buckle up amigo!...its gonna be a fun year.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm going to go to my DE's now (like anyone cares)(I'm just the entertainment this Spring!)( /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> ) I looked around and think I've got two good ones, but the field was crowded:

Terry Stephens - good blend of speed and size, hard to block him off a runner, plenty of strength to bull rush a tackle, I understand his containment was outstanding often turning a play back inside, and intelligent with his responsiblity.

Dustin Phillips - again a player that is not going to get knocked off the ball, excellent pass rush, very sure tackler, and another that will keep the play inside.

Now the linebackers:

Jake Lowe - one of the most pain inflicting LB's to ever strap it on, devastating finisher who left quite a few runners unable to continue, didn't have to strip many balls (the hits often worked), sideline to sideline MLB, great speed to the ball, reminds me of Al Wilson at UT, and nasty as they come inside the lines.

Daniel King - tough customer, also inflicts punishment with the hit, another LB that could get sideline to sideline, very hard to block this kid because of his size, and another "causer" of fumbles.

Doug Newport - great coverage LB (9 interceptions Sr), led team in tackles as a Sr. and 2nd as a Junior (+100 both seasons), good form tackler, and can offer pressure during blitz (11 sacks). Makes plays on his side of the field and quick enough to find runner down field on plays run opposite of him.

Culley Phillips - three year starter, another big and fast LB, tough against both run and pass, and has a nose for the football all over the field.

Remarkably, three of these cats played together and in their prime they were all tremendous football players. There have been many outstanding players in these positions, but each of these kids had college potential, Newport walked on at MTSU and was slated to play for the Raiders before suffering a devastating shoulder injury. King, Lowe, and Phillips could have each played at that level or better, too.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Kaz /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Kaz ol'boy!!

I have been keeping up with this "list" of great players for a while now. And I must say, you have done your homework going back as far as anyone could. But I have a couple of things that need to be said:

1. Oneida has always been about teams and units (linemen,RB's, LB's, DB's, etc) working together. None of the players would have been nearly as effective without the guys around them and we all knew that. That is why Oneida football is so special.

2. Since the oneida history is so long and distinguished, I think honorable mentions are needed for all positions. I saw it for one of them but let's have an HM for all positions.

3. WHERE IS RUSTY ELLIS????? How could you leave Rusty out at FB and at LB??? nobody was tougher than Rusty pound for pound, not to mention he was all state as a senior. And for that matter, where are Doug Pike and Scotty Owens. You love Stan because he "brought home the gold". give these boys their due.

4. Once this list of great players is over, I have TWO challenges for you. There was a discussion last season about Oneida's best teams (can't argue with '92 but I feel like '94 got overlooked...13-1 in AA is tough to top) But the first challenge is this...Who was the best class over a four year span? This one could take some research.

Your second challenge comes from my first comment, and this one is a little tougher, make a list of the best units in Oneida history ie: top backfield unit(TB, FB, QB), best O and D line, best WR unit, best LB unit, and best DB unit. When I say unit, that means they had to play at the same time. Oneida football has always been about working together, so let's see who you think the best units were.

Look forward to seeing what you think

Brisco

Brisco!!!!!!

You giving Kaz homework? Dang! I'm on it!

1. True.....I couldn't have said it better myself.

2. I'll go back and give some HM.....history is hard! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

3. Rust-O Ellis was not forgotten......he was near the top of the list for HM and, like I said this LB unit of players is DEEP! And Scotty O is one of my shut down corners! Dude, don't rush me.

4. I have often thought the '82-'83 team and the '83-'84 teams were very good. And I know, I am very partial to one of them.(guess which?) /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> That first team got put out by a very loaded Sweetwater Team, and the second one only lost twice to Gatlinburg-Pittman both times back when Hammonds ran that big beefy Power I. (heck, I think he's still running it!) /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

You have to give those 50's teams their due on that second challenge, the best they could do in the post season was a bowl game, and it was usually against a school with twice to three times the enrollment! Didn't seem to matter, the Orange still rolled in most of them! Here a toot to my "ancestory", my pops played five years of high school ball (including his eighth grade year)(and yes, he started that year too). He lost two games in five years (both bowl games)!! I estimate his career record to be 52 and 2! Kaz never lies!

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Kazito /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Fun talking to ya, bud! How are things going with the little Tater and his mommy?

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Well, I'm going to go to my DE's now (like anyone cares)(I'm just the entertainment this Spring!)( /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> ) I looked around and think I've got two good ones, but the field was crowded:

Terry Stephens - good blend of speed and size, hard to block him off a runner, plenty of strength to bull rush a tackle, I understand his containment was outstanding often turning a play back inside, and intelligent with his responsiblity.

Dustin Phillips - again a player that is not going to get knocked off the ball, excellent pass rush, very sure tackler, and another that will keep the play inside.

Now the linebackers:

Jake Lowe - one of the most pain inflicting LB's to ever strap it on, devastating finisher who left quite a few runners unable to continue, didn't have to strip many balls (the hits often worked), sideline to sideline MLB, great speed to the ball, reminds me of Al Wilson at UT, and nasty as they come inside the lines.

Daniel King - tough customer, also inflicts punishment with the hit, another LB that could get sideline to sideline, very hard to block this kid because of his size, and another "causer" of fumbles.

Doug Newport - great coverage LB (9 interceptions Sr), led team in tackles as a Sr. and 2nd as a Junior (+100 both seasons), good form tackler, and can offer pressure during blitz (11 sacks). Makes plays on his side of the field and quick enough to find runner down field on plays run opposite of him.

Culley Phillips - three year starter, another big and fast LB, tough against both run and pass, and has a nose for the football all over the field.

Remarkably, three of these cats played together and in their prime they were all tremendous football players. There have been many outstanding players in these positions, but each of these kids had college potential, Newport walked on at MTSU and was slated to play for the Raiders before suffering a devastating shoulder injury. King, Lowe, and Phillips could have each played at that level or better, too.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Kaz /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

LOWE,CROW AND KING ARE DEFINENTLY THREE OF THE BEST GOOD PICKS THEY WOULD ALSO BE THREE OF MY BACKERS WHEN DID NEWPORT PLAY JUST WANDERINGFOUR OF THOSE PLAYERS PLAYED TOGETHER LOWE,D.KING,C.PHILIPS,AND D.PHILLIPS

Newport played '77 to '80. He was similiar to Ellis, just in a little bigger package. Great nose for the ball. I'm trying to keep some diversity to my selections by finding players from different eras. King and Lowe are concrete IMO, but any number of LB's from here would still fit pretty nicely on this team. One other thing.....R. Ellis was a tremendous LB, but just a little bit undersized. Of course he made up for it with a relentless pursuit of the football. That is this groups common thread.....they all did! My DB's will be forthcoming!

Slim , thats funny

Kaz, you can't please everyone, But they will always be people forgotten, that is life on the reservation and that is why this is such a great topic, It will keep these names fresh. I remeber Ellis he would go down as the hardest hitting fullbacks and scott Owens he was a athlete. These gents not forgotten , just sometimes the old mans memory needs shook up to recall their great play.

And the Defensive Back are........:

Corners

Scotty Owens - this guy can read a QB like a children's book, athletic enough to play bump or off the receiver, great run support, tough to beat deep because he reads the route well, great at stripping the football, and elusiveness make him dangerous on picks.

Steve Phillips - I'm basically going on legend with this pick. Another strong coverage guy, quick to the ball (in air and on ground), UK Alum in football (OK, not the stongest football school, but it is in the SEC), picks up the drag route really well (there was a story about this!)(another time, maybe), and tough as nails!

Safeties

Shane Keeton - corners can make a mistake because this guy could cover the whole field, arguably the second best athlete (behind D. Lawson) ever at Oneida, outstanding range, instant offense on picks (and probably a little more dangerous than Scotty O), open field tackling is superb, and could run down almost anyone!

Joel Cotton - wins the SS position based almost entirely on hitting ability, complete disregard for human life.....both his and the runners! Loved to hit things at a high impact! In fact, I think he lived for that perfect shot. Did I mention he is a hitter? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> I think they have made several football movies out of this type of player. (mostly comedies) /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> , but movies none the less!

Kazzertono