Harriman/Roane Co. Jamboree

WaggleRT

Tomorrow is a big day for many teams visiting Harriman. I am wondering what teams will prove themselves contenders, and which one will be pretenders. The host team seems to be a little down from what I here, but I guess that is yet to be decided. Also Kingston and Rockwood have a lot to prove. Friday night will answer many questions.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss Roane County as well, but things are looking much better where I am. It's tough when you spend your entire un-professional career in one area and then change. I am slowly getting to know people and learn the ways of middle Tennessee. By the way, despite the debate I think east Tennessee football fans are much more enthusiastic as a whole than where I am.

It is interesting that they don't participate. I know injuries are a concern and all, but it would help the overall gate if the county's biggest school played in this game...quite puzzling.

I agree, but the same thing happened in the Roane Co. Christmas tourn. All teams had to agree to participate, but the O.S. girls went to Fla. if we are going to have these events all teams should participate.I guess Vic King is afraid he will show off one of those same ten plays he has been running since the dawn of time.

I would never flame Vic, because I like him and unlike some of the "diehard" Jacket fans don't believe in that motto "What have you done for me lately." He is a heck of a nice fella and a good football coach.

However, I disagree with the Yellow Jackets opting out of the Jamboree. I know the Century Club rocks over there and do an outstanding job with fundraising, but the county could sure use the extended gate Kingston would bring if they were playing. I know many Jacket fans will be attending anyway, but not the amount that would if their team was playing.

Kingston hasn't participated in any jamboree at any time during coach King's tenure (this is his 17th season); I don't know why the rest of the county expects RCHS to change that for their benefit. Only Midway has a legit complaint; they don't get Kingston fans and their money every other year.

I don't think any school in the county should have to participate in this jamboree or the winter basketball tourney.

Jamborees are about pointless to start with, and you should never play a jamboree or Christmas basketball tournaments against teams you already play, and especially district teams!

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how a 5-team jamboree works.

Posted by money:

With Kingston only having 10 plays, what is Rockwoods record against them say over the last 20 years?

I don't know about the last 20 years, but since 1988 they've won twice.

Kingston's longest ongoing winning streaks:

Harriman 9

Rockwood 4

Gibbs 4

and I'm not sure what it is against Wartburg; it's been a while since the two teams played.

Posted by TankTalk:

I would never flame Vic, because I like him and unlike some of the "diehard" Jacket fans don't believe in that motto "What have you done for me lately." He is a heck of a nice fella and a good football coach.

However, I disagree with the Yellow Jackets opting out of the Jamboree. I know the Century Club rocks over there and do an outstanding job with fundraising, but the county could sure use the extended gate Kingston would bring if they were playing. I know many Jacket fans will be attending anyway, but not the amount that would if their team was playing.

I'd only go if I couldn't find a good week 0 game. Probably going to watch Livingston Academy at Cumberland Co.

Looking at your post, I am scratching my head. Why should any team participate in this? Go check out the books and see how much money is funelled to athletic programs from the School Board...then go check at how much it costs to run these programs. This jamboree has the potential to be the biggest rundraiser of the year in Roane County if done correctly.

I am fine with Coach King's decision to not play in any jamborees, but I think an exception should be made when the potential to help raise so much money is thrust in front of these county teams. In the future, think of the teams that you all could draw down there for the pre-season jamboree.

Then there is this quote from you: I don't know why the rest of the county expects RCHS to change that for their benefit.

I am sorry, but that really sounds selfish and kind of what "other" county residents have thought about Kingston for a long time. Which, I know to be different...I hope.

[Edited by TankTalk on 8-22-02 1:21P]

Calm down, I never said King's 10 plays didn't work, just that everyone knows he is predictable. I'm not trying to say anyone is better than them.I agree that the Christmas tourney is a waste of time becasue all of the teams play each other during the year anyway,but it was agreed upon that every county team had to particiapte so how did O.S. girls get out of it? The jamboree could raise alot of money if done right. My only complaint is that if they are going to have it, everyone should participate. It is a ROANE COUNTY jamboree, shouldn't ROANE COUNTY high school be in it????????