Tri-County Seven

krichunaka

The loss to Central will not hurt Elizabethton. We played to their strengths by playing 2-3 zone and letting them shoot wide open threes and they hit a bunch. Just speculating, but if we played them again and played physical in your face man-to-man I don't think they score 61 again. Moody would get hers on drives, but the others would be harder pressed to score. I never like a loss, but I think Betsy learned from it and will be better in the long run. Could be a tough game at Chuckey-Doak tomorrow for Elizabethton. The Greene County factor makes it tough.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure it was a fluke.

Central has lots of hustle, but let's face it. They are a shooting team. Shooting teams can sometimes run hot and cold. If they are hot, Central can play with anybody, if they're cold, they are gonna struggle.

Noticed last year that if you play them very physical, they tend to get flustered...............

It was no fluke! "17" simply wore the wrong orange glasses ...

News Flash - - Those little orange kittens on the handles

....are LADY COUGARS.

It was no fluke! "17" simply wore the wrong orange glasses ...

News Flash - - Those little orange kittens on the handles

....are LADY COUGARS.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I shall never mention the Central loss again! It is on to Chuckey-Doak for the next conquest!

Chuckey Doak's best games to date were the four-point loss to North Greene,

followed by the squeaker over Hampton; both home games.

The Lady Knights don't have the personnel to match up with Elizabethton,

especially in the paint.

In fact, with the possible exceptions of road games with South Greene and

Unicoi County, it's difficult to see anyone on schedule capable of beating the

Lady Cyclones. And, in all seriousness, Elizabethton could run the table.

Unaka stayed with Mitchell County for three quarters on Thursday night.

Offensively, Natalie Johnson continued at an all-star pace, scoring from

outside, and the dribble-drive; and Kayla Winters made several nice plays.

Rachel Lowe continues to improve, especially defensively; but received three

unfortunate, and very-questionable, fourth quarter calls - - - and fouled out,

seriously diminishing Unaka's odds at winning.

Mitchell County is down from last season: Two 2008 graduates are playing

college ball this season; one of them, Samantha Blevins, at Milligan College.

However, point guard, Lakin Norris, is one of the very best players we've seen to

date. And though still recovering from an extended illness, Norris was good enough

to keep the Lady Rangers from mounting a serious fourth-quarter comeback.

There will be no table running for the Lady Cyclones. They fell to the Lady Knights tonight 57-52 in what will henceforth be referred to as the "Chuckey-Doak Massacre". Hats off to the Lady Knights, who did exactly what they had to do to win. The Lady Cyclones spent most of the night chasing the two little waterbug guards and watched them hit a bucket full of threes. The game was tied at halftime 23-23. Chuckey-Doak built a nine point lead in the third quarter and hit their free throws down the stretch to hold off the Lady Cyclones, who cut the lead to three in the final minute. Chuckey-Doak packed in a zone to slow down the Cyclone post and let the Betsy guards shoot it all night. The Lady Cyclones were 7 for 32 from behind the arc and 20 for 60 for the game. 33% shooting will not win many games. The Cyclone 2-3 zone gave the Lady Knights plenty of open looks as well and they made a few more longballs to pull out the win. The officiating was not great, but it did not impact the outcome. Back to the practice floor! Go Cyclones!!!!!

After the Lady Cyclones loss to Central, it appeared that perhaps Coach

Dugger was experimenting a little with the zone. But we were told before

tonight's game that maybe Len Dugger is even smarter than we thought;

that perhaps he sees personnel problems with going man-to-man. So, in

zoning, and even against the better outside shooting teams, is he shielding

potential problems? Apparently yes.

Especially after looking back to the Cloudland game. Elizabethton played a

lot of zone in that one, and when the Lady Highlanders couldn't throw it in a

lake, the Lady Cyclones appeared almost unbeatable. A couple fourth-quarter,

Jordi Miller bombs made things interesting; but much too little, way too late.

And thus, we left Daniel Boone convinced that Elizabethton was the premier

Seven team.

What we've learned since is that Elizabethton, though very good, is obviously

vulnerable on defense. Ironically, we were accustomed to seeing Cloudland

feast on zone defenses.

And I also thought Happy Valley would win at home, barely, against Unicoi

County.

North Greene won by ten over University High, in Johnson City. Mariah

Britton and Dakota White were the scoring leaders, with White hitting for

twenty-plus.

It wasn't pretty; neither team consistently hit shots from long, or short range.

Appeared less to do with defense than just a bad shooting night. Ball security

was subpar, especially by the Junior Bucs, who had numerous unforced

turnovers against the Lady Huskies' soft press.

Sounds like EHS's team is experiencing some 'growing pains', which is to be expected. Replacing four senior starters takes time. The talent is there. Today's Greeneville Sun article tells you all you need to know about this game. The box score is particularly telling. Guards took 39 shots; posts 18. EHS must be more patient on the offensive end against zone or sagging man D's, and get their posts more touches and shots. Mariah shot over 60% from the field but only took 8 shots. FT shooting (53%) must also improve. Good thing is those are all correctible.

http://greenevillesun.com/story/299860#AddPhotos

Unicoi is the surprise so far. Those young players are playing like veterans. Hampton has been bitten by the two headed injury bug. Any word on how long Weddle and the other girl will be out?

Sounds like EHS's team is experiencing some 'growing pains', which is to be expected. Replacing four senior starters takes time. The talent is there. Today's Greeneville Sun article tells you all you need to know about this game. The box score is particularly telling. Guards took 39 shots; posts 18. EHS must be more patient on the offensive end against zone or sagging man D's, and get their posts more touches and shots. Mariah shot over 60% from the field but only took 8 shots. FT shooting (53%) must also improve. Good thing is those are all correctible.

http://greenevillesun.com/story/299860#AddPhotos

Unicoi is the surprise so far. Those young players are playing like veterans. Hampton has been bitten by the two headed injury bug. Any word on how long Weddle and the other girl will be out?

There is no timetable for Weddle's return. Not a lot you can do for that injury. Youth is a wonderful thing sometimes and I wouldn't think it would be too long before she comes back. On the other hand, I hear that McQueen is out for the season. That is a big blow as she was 5'9 and they greatly needed her size. A footnote, The Lady Dogs were up 15 or 16 points on CD until Weddle went out which makes the CD win over Elizabethton stand out.

CycloneFan,

You make some good points and the good thing is that they can fix the free throw percentage and hopefully the patience getting the ball inside to their strength. On a positive note, had two more of the 25 missed threes have fallen they would have won anyway. The talent is there and they still have tremendous upside, especially offensively. You know me though, and I was always a big defense guy. I have been particularly concerned with the amount of points given up and the ease of getting open shots by both Central and Chuckey-Doak in the two losses. I hope they work harder on their man-to-man, or if that will not work, that they start putting in a match-up zone. It has always been hard for me to watch a team give up so many wide open looks on threes. I prefer to put pressure on the opponent, force them to shoot off the dribble drive, and funnel the drivers into our shot blockers. I know you run the risk of picking up fouls, but it makes the other team earn their points. I really think Coach Dugger is trying to figure out which defense will be most effective with this year's personnel. The Lady Cyclones do not have as much overall quickness, size, length, and shot blocking ability as past teams, so it will take them some time to develop an effective defensive scheme. I think they will, it may just be a bit painful to watch at times while they are figuring it out.