Which available head coaching position is the job to have?

MDCoach

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you Biggame. IMO you have to be able to match a scheme to the talents and strengths of the individuals that you coach. Some are easier to adapt than others. I am personally a veer coach, it is fairly simple to run and hard to stop. Double teams at the point of attack all the time. It also lends itself well to minimizing the effects of your weaknesses and taking advantage of your strengths. That being said, if Graham Harrell walks out there and you have 4 good wideouts and multi talented backs you better "evaluate the specific talents and improvise to maximize success."

You are right sir I would love to see you at Macon. Macon has had some very skilled players but they have been spread out all over the field and they couldnt get the ball to them enough. The veer would have been a great offense to run for Macon last year. Are you definatley moving this way to coach next year?

You are right sir I would love to see you at Macon. Macon has had some very skilled players but they have been spread out all over the field and they couldnt get the ball to them enough. The veer would have been a great offense to run for Macon last year. Are you definatley moving this way to coach next year?

Well, if you have the right spread scheme, havin them cats spread out all over the field is a defensive nightmare. Take Texas Tech for example. Their qbs arent your typical qbs, they aren't great, and their receivers (minus crabtree) arent all world. You can take a bunch of descent players and be very good in the spread. And you can take a bunch of good players and be great in the spread. It all depends on the scheme and if you know what you're doing in it. Just my humble opinion!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well, if you have the right spread scheme, havin them cats spread out all over the field is a defensive nightmare. Take Texas Tech for example. Their qbs arent your typical qbs, they aren't great, and their receivers (minus crabtree) arent all world. You can take a bunch of descent players and be very good in the spread. And you can take a bunch of good players and be great in the spread. It all depends on the scheme and if you know what you're doing in it. Just my humble opinion!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well Macons record and Texas Techs record are a little different. But i agree with what you are saying. It just hasnt worked for us yet we even do it at the Jr. High level.

Well Macons record and Texas Techs record are a little different. But i agree with what you are saying. It just hasnt worked for us yet we even do it at the Jr. High level.

Having seen Macon High and Jr High play three or four times this year I'll tell you that your problem is the Spread scheme you are running. People hear Spread and they think it is like the I or Wing-T, but there are many different schemes to a spread. You can do spread option, spread with a west coast feel, spread with a vertical passing game, you could even do a spread with a wing-t feel to it. I think Macon doesn't have the right scheme for their guys. You can't just put 4 wide out there and say were are a spread team.

The thread is about coaching positions, the Macon County job would be one that someone should covet. It is a great community with values and pride. If you win there you would be idolized!

Having seen Macon High and Jr High play three or four times this year I'll tell you that your problem is the Spread scheme you are running. People hear Spread and they think it is like the I or Wing-T, but there are many different schemes to a spread. You can do spread option, spread with a west coast feel, spread with a vertical passing game, you could even do a spread with a wing-t feel to it. I think Macon doesn't have the right scheme for their guys. You can't just put 4 wide out there and say were are a spread team.

The thread is about coaching positions, the Macon County job would be one that someone should covet. It is a great community with values and pride. If you win there you would be idolized!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....I'm choking with laughter, thats the funniest thing i read all year. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Sounds like you need that job, maybe you can do better than you did at Portland. 5 wins in 3 years, if you schedule just right, should be easy. RBS is just right down the road. Thats 3 right there. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....I'm choking with laughter, thats the funniest thing i read all year. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Sounds like you need that job, maybe you can do better than you did at Portland. 5 wins in 3 years, if you schedule just right, should be easy. RBS is just right down the road. Thats 3 right there. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

why dont you take the job then all star seems like you got all the answers

Hey Slim, while you're at it try your hand at the Portland job. I'm sure you are a great coach. The post was actually quite informative. He said that Macon needed to look at the style of spread they were running and maybe alter it to fit their talent.

I think the Springfield job would be the one to have. They used to be tough back in the day.

True, there are many different types of spread offense. Very true, many of the option type spreads that folks are talking about are derived from the veer. IMO the secret to successful spread is a balance between a viable rushing attack, vertical, and horizontal stretch. In the running game you can take advantage of angles that simply were not possible to use in conventional formations. The "spread" like the "veer" and the "wing-t" can be packaged as a singular effort, but IMO that is not the case. The imagination of the coaches will eventually determine the evolution of their offense or defense.

Hey Slim, while you're at it try your hand at the Portland job. I'm sure you are a great coach. The post was actually quite informative. He said that Macon needed to look at the style of spread they were running and maybe alter it to fit their talent.

I think the Springfield job would be the one to have. They used to be tough back in the day.

I agree b/c they have the athletes; just add discipline..... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Not sure Coach Pat Dyer would agree with that!!!!!!! He won and was defiently not idolized, but instead run out of town.