White Co. Football

cavsfootball

Does anyone know how many coaches from outside the Sparta area are being interviewed, if any?

I have been asking this question as well. i have heard Houser, coaches at Cookeville, but from Livingston. Malone coached at Ardmore, AL, but from I think Murfreesboro or Frnaklin or somewhere now that way. Nash coaches in Georgia, but from Sparta. May be others but these and the 2 local guys Pullam and Lowry are what I hear.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been asking this question as well. i have heard Houser, coaches at Cookeville, but from Livingston. Malone coached at Ardmore, AL, but from I think Murfreesboro or Frnaklin or somewhere now that way. Nash coaches in Georgia, but from Sparta. May be others but these and the 2 local guys Pullam and Lowry are what I hear.

Malone coached for Rankin at Riverdale. Needless to say, he has learned from the best. If he is willing and wanting to come, it would be a smart hire for Sparta.

Malone coached for Rankin at Riverdale. Needless to say, he has learned from the best. If he is willing and wanting to come, it would be a smart hire for Sparta.

How long did Malone coach under Rankin at Riverdale? If Houser is coaching at Cookeville that means that he has learned under Jerry Joslin who is one of the best in the state. Joslin is one of the most respected coaches around and has turned Cookeville into a team that is always competitive come playoff time and they don't have near the talent that Rankin teams have had. Have any others coached under successful Head Coaches at their past or current jobs?

How long did Malone coach under Rankin at Riverdale? If Houser is coaching at Cookeville that means that he has learned under Jerry Joslin who is one of the best in the state. Joslin is one of the most respected coaches around and has turned Cookeville into a team that is always competitive come playoff time and they don't have near the talent that Rankin teams have had. Have any others coached under successful Head Coaches at their past or current jobs?

Warrior, I couldn't agree with you more regarding Coach Joslin. Cookeville had 30 something players in the program when he arrived in the late 90's and now they have around 130 or so on the team. They have won Region championships and had very good playoff runs that have included several 2nd and 3rd Round teams. In 2005 they were a play away from moving on to the 4th Round when Riverdale beat them 28-21. This year's team was able to beat Siegel in the 1st Round before losing to the eventual State Champion Oakland in the 2nd Round. He has had a great deal of success since joining the Cavalier program and many coaches who have coached under him now hold down Head Coaching positions around the state, as well as a few other states. He's a great coach but has even greater character, and I'm glad he's running our program instead of someone else's!

I konw they're looking for someone young. I heard mention of Marcus Bragg potentially being the head coach or at least being in the running. Bragg is the Offensive Coordinator/ Assistant Head Coach at Austin East.

I'm not sure you are right on the comment regarding looking for someone young. I know a few people close to the program and they are looking for the best fit regardless of age. I haven't heard Coach Bragg's name at any point during the process but nothing would surprise me at this point. I thought they were looking to hire last Friday and that they were only looking for those in the Upper Cumberland area but evidently there's no truth to that with all of these out of town names being thrown around. I wish they would just make the hire so that we could begin preparing for Spring practice.

I just know the team has been struggling for the past little bit. I think it would be good for White Co. to hire an "outsider" to come in and move things around. I know this isn't college football, but look at the new hires in the successfull SEC teams. All are young and outsiders. I'll put it like this. If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got. I think Bragg would make a good fit because he's played WR at ETSU, plus has several years collegiate coaching experience (ETSU and Carson Newman) and co-coordinated the offense (Morristown West) against Maryville the last time they were beat (not counting this past year at the state champioship). I've done some research on all of these guys that were mentioned. Kids and fans both love being around this guy.

He's not too young if he was coaching when Maryville lost a game, (before the title game this past year) LOL. Also when did ETSU last have a football team? I'm not knocking him just trying to have a little fun with you, ScienceHill.

If we take an out of town young coach who played wide receiver in college I'd take the Cookeville assistant Houser. He played at Dartmouth against the likes of Harvard, Yale, and Princeton. I would think a high school in middle Tennessee would be fortunate to have an Ivy Leaguer on staff anywhere in the system. He has ties to the area and from what I hear has a long range plan. If it's really about academics, student-athletes, and all that why not get a role model that promotes that and talks about a winning tradition. I found this on another coacht post about Livingston Academy's top players: (hope it's okay to copy and paste)

Matthan Houser (1996-99)- The only freshman in Tennessee history to be named AP 1st Team All-State, he went on to be named All-State all four years of high school, no other male athlete at Livingston Academy has been named more than twice. The school's All-Time leading receiver he caught 116 passes for 2,078 and 17 TDs while passing for 1,733 yards in his career. He is also one of the top punt and kickoff returners and amassed 7,104 all purpose yards in addition to starting on defense for four seasons with 156 tackles and 7 interceptions. Houser went on to become the first Ivy League athlete from LA playing wide receiver at Dartmouth where he led the team in yards per catch in 2002.

The situation is still not resolved. Word is that Nash wes interested soon after Kerr resigned. Next he took his name out of consideration. About a week ago he was approached and came for a interveiw and visit to the school. Tuesday night the job was offered and he declined the offer. Pullum is not an option. No support outside of a couple of administrators. To be honest it would be the worst thing that could happen to White County football. Malone sounds like a great pick, but for some reason no offer has been made to him. At present it sounds like Howser is getting the full attention. Howser sounds like a good fit, and by all accounts a great person and the chance to be a good head coach. If anything is hurting him it would be his age and the unknown of how long he would stay. White County dose not want to be a spring board for another school. Bragg sounds good from what I can find out, but to my knowledge he has not been interviewed. I can't explain why the delay time is short, spring is around the corner.