Why are players quitting???????

VeerCoach

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard there has been some girls quit at Clarkrange, and i have asked many people why they quit, and i usually get the same answer, they didn't think things were fair on the team. In this Post message the title is "why are players quitting" and i think the answer is that most kids ( well the ones i heard quit at clarkrange) are mostly big babies who can't handle any good coaching or punishment. but thats just my opinion, but the true-hearted players who really love ball, will stick with, and i wish luck to all players who has stuck with, and hasn't cried about it! you deserve it!

I used to play basketball and I quit due to the amount of time you have to put into the sport. I mean seriously, the season is year-round. How many high school players are actually going to go on to play in college.. much less the WNBA... coaches need to get real and let players have a life.

Guest BigCountry05

In the past there have been some good players quit or not play at all on the highschool team in my town, I have kept up with the program for a while now and that has been the case,

however:

A player will quit for one of these reasons:

1) they don't love it enough to devote time to it

2) they find something they are more happy doing

3) they are tired of putting up with CRAP related to politics

now I shall explain the third statement

alot of coaches in the past have let the parents kiss butt until they get playing time, and the coaches were too sorry and too spineless to play the kids that deserved to play and not only did it hurt the teams ,those kids that worked hard and got nothing in return developed serious complexes and the kids that knew they were going to play because their parent did this or their parent was the president of this or their parent worked for the school ,they really started to look down, on those players that worked hard and were actually the ones who should have been playing, and nothing was done ok i am done now.... the rest can be figured out i think...

I thought I would add that in this particular situation to which I am referring alot of those parents didn't have the guts to take up for their kids either, they would do those things thinking they were helping the kid, when the kid actuallly didn't like it anymore because of the coach, and so not only did she (the coach) play the wrong kids at times she played kids that didn't wanna be there anymore, which in the long-run of things kills the chemistry of a team, I am not sure that I would have even played for her if she were still here. ;) but on a good note things have changed tremendously in the past few years.

[Edited by BigCountry05 on 11-16-02 2:43P]

I agree with tnwareagle that players who stick with the team through the tough times and don't turn and run when situations (be it playing time, horrible coaches, or disagreements with teammates, disgruntled parents) aren't the way they want them to be will hopefully learn that sticking with the situation will pay off in the end that quitters usually don't prosper in life.

I would not want to teach my child to stick it out in a situation where they are unhappy with no hope of success for themselves. Get into something you get a fair return for your effort.

Speaking of fair return - I tired of paying taxes so your kid can lord it over everyone else - You need to pay for the ball team experience out of your pocket and not out of the tax payers pocket. School should be for all children - not just teachers kids & coaches.

If you quit , it does not mean you are a loser or couldn't take it- it simply means the Coach had a different opinion! (which he is entitled too) Basketball is a "game" and it doesn't make you who you are. Neither does "quitting" or "sticking it out". Sticking it out in many cases- shows you are positive, optimistic ,and always hoping for the best in every situation- or it could also mean you are prideful, refuse to face reality and are willing to let people treat you any way they want to. Quitting could mean you can't handle certain situations,or Committments very well, or not always getting your way! On the other hand, it could mean you are very realistic about life, and like to make the most of your time, and aren't afraid to"explore" new things til you find what is right for you! Only you know which of these you are! NO ONE ELSE BUT YOU! ( and No, I'm not a psychologists- LOL) Just a person who has worn BOTH SHOES! ;)

P.S. This is in NO WAY placing blame on anyone- Especially not the Coaches.There is no Blame to be placed anywhere. Its just another part of life!

[Edited by peacemaker on 11-15-02 9:34A]

Nobody really knows why any player quits and really does it matter? A team can play as long as there is five willing players that want to be out there. People make too much out of it when a player quits. Many didn't want to be there to begin with, it was the parents desire, not the kid's. Many quit to pursue other sports, because they know they are better at another. Many quit because they don't see eye to eye with a coach, and many quit simply because they don't want to play. You all don't need to place blame on these girl or on the coaches. Just say that the player quit and be done with it. I get tired of reading posts on here about this subject. Like you all are trying to place blame.

Like i said once before in other Post that it was just my opinion. and for your information i am not a parent of kid. i'm a cousin. and if you're tired of seeing stuff about this on here, then don't click on it. all i said before, was the ones that really like won't care if it takes up time or keeps them away from dates or anything. you can still have a normal teenage life and play ball i did it about 5 years ago. and i was not blaming the girls or boys, you people take something someone has wrote and totally BLOW THINGS WAY UP to what they really are. :o