TSSAA Football Championships to Cookeville

Gerry Bertier

Some of you don't get it. Vandy is not an option and MTSU is about to drive up the price to hold it there. The contract is up and it seems negotiations are going nowhere. So look at your alternatives.

The only logical city is Cookeville. I don't think many families coming to the championship games go to the mall. Most families drive in Friday night, spend the night and drive back Saturday after the game or vice-versa. If a contract is not reach, where will it go? To me Cookeville makes the most sense.

Gerry, given that both MTSU and TTU are TN Board of Regents schools, do you think that the TSSAA can get a better financial deal at TTU?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a package deal cannot be worked out with MTSU, It seems the only fair way to do it is go to a 3 or 4 city rotation to try and even out travel times. In a 4 city rotation you could have Memphis(Liberty Bowl), M'boro(MTSU) or Clarksville(APSU), Knoxville(Neyland stadium), and Chattanooga(UTC). In a 3 city rotation you could have Knoxville, M'boro, and Jackson. I just don't know if Jackson has the facilities to accomodate this.

They must be getting a lot of money for that TV coverage because I have been coming to the games for over 10 years now and the crowds get smaller and smaller. They are going to have to do something different next year. There will be 6 title games instead of 5. You can't really start at noon on Friday can you? Or add a fourth game to Saturday and start at 10 AM?

Now it might not matter but I think I remember seeing that 1A and 2A will have less teams in the playoffs then the other classifications so you might be able to start them at the same time as everybody else and just play their title games the week before.

But I think what needs to happen is this. Split the games up and everything will be played on Saturdays. The first Saturday will be the 1A, 2A and 3A games. The following Saturday will be 4A, 5A and 6A.

In Missouri, all of their playoffs games are done the Friday and Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend. To get to that point, their playoffs games start on the first Friday after the regular season then your second game is the following Wednesday. Then the following Monday...so that everybody is ready to play in the championships by Turkey Day weekend.

I'm rambling but that's what I think...not that its worth anything

Funny how Division II does not even fit in the discussion at all........guess they could play at 3:00 in the morning on a Tuesday and make it back to school by 8:00 /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Cookeville is still a state school so the price will be about the same no matter where it is at. Facts of life is the STATE of Tenessee is NOT going to subsidize ANY location. Got to pay to play where ever it is at.

Maybe the TSSAA will come off some of that BIG TV money to fund it. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Guest Advisor

Austin Peay's stadium is actually the perfect size. It's big enough for overflow crowds but wouldn't have that empty seat feeling you get at MTSU or would have at LP Field. Clarksville sure could use that "shot in the arm" to their economy as well. Good hotels, restaurants, and easy access via I-24 would make sense. However, it's been a while since the Advisor visited APSU, their playing surface used to be the "old turf" with a hard, unforgiving foundation. With the new field turf, it would be prime much like the Dave Aaron arena inside the Dunn Center. A truly overlooked jewels in the state's gymnasiums!!

Funny how Division II does not even fit in the discussion at all........guess they could play at 3:00 in the morning on a Tuesday and make it back to school by 8:00 /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Division II got a REALLY lousy deal as far as the playoffs were concerned this year. As I see it they have two options with the TSSAA. One is either live with it or leave the TSSAA altogether. If it was me I would tell the TSSAA to SHOVE IT and form your own association.

Division II got a REALLY lousy deal as far as the playoffs were concerned this year. As I see it they have two options with the TSSAA. One is either live with it or leave the TSSAA altogether. If it was me I would tell the TSSAA to SHOVE IT and form your own association.

In all honesty, I would tell the TSSAA to "shove it" if I was a public school. TSSAA only has as much power as they are given.

It doesn't matter if they are BOR schools. Each school has the right to make their own deals in regards to their facilities. It would not be the same price for MTSU or TTU. MTSU and the city of Murfresboro are trying to make as much money as possible from the TSSAA because they feel the TSSAA has no other options. But from the looks of this board there seems to be plenty. I like the Clarksville idea as well as the Cookeville plan.

My biggest complaint about the state championship game is that the stadium never has a high school football atmosphere. The stadium is always over half empty, they blare music all night where you can't hear the bands. It's just a bad experience, IMO.