TSSAA Football Championships to Cookeville

Gerry Bertier

I'd like to see it back at Vandy. Nashville is the state capital, they have a turf surface, and the stadium has held it before. Why did they ever leave Vandy anyway? Are there any large high school stadiums in the Boro/Nashville area that could hold the crowds but make the atmosphere better than at MTSU or Vandy?

I always like Riverdale's field.....don't know if it is quite big enough though.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be a horrible move, they need a smaller venue not a larger one. The atmosphere at MTSU is horrible. The games can't even come close to filling Floyd Stadium, so LP Field would look like a ghost town. They need to find a way to create a better experience for the players and fans.

Money talks whatever city opens its pocketbook will land the games, I prefer MTSU for center of state location

What was the attendance for FHS - Oakland game

I disagee from the one poster whom stated they need a better atmosphere for fans and players-

Guest catsvoice

Some random thoughts while pondering future BlueCross Bowl locations.

Having attended title games at both Vanderbilt and MTSU, I must admit the Cookeville alternative sounds pretty good.

Why not let cities bid on this like they do the Olympics or NCAA basketball tournaments. If the idea is for the TSSAA to maximize its dollars then let the cities bid on it.

This might encourage cities to put together true 'events' instead of just games. Creating 'events', which might include special hotel deals, restaurant deals, local attractions, etc. might also bring more fans to the events.

The broadcasting of the games on TV is not going away though. We the media must continue to place the spotlight on high school football in our state whenever the chance is there. Most games in Knoxville are televised (well, except this past season) and that doens't hurt the crowd size much.

It is easy for us here in Middle Tennessee to say that Murfreesboro is the logical choice because it is in the center of the state. However, ultimately that is unfair to those in West and East Tennessee because they NEVER get the games anywhere relatively close. Remember the geography of our state is unlike any other as far as the distance from one end to the other.

Another thought is that the Saturday games are played on one of the great college football days of the season. That is some stiff competition. Remember these college conference title games weren't really competition for these state title games until the last few years. Maybe weekdays would be better.

Just thoughts.

It is at Murfreesboro for a reason. The stadium is about 1/2 mile from the exact geographic center of the state. To go along with this is the fact there is ample parking, hotels, resteraunts and everything else to go along with hosting the championships. Only down side is the fact that MTSU is charging more for the stadium and it takes away from the TSSAA PROFITS! That is going to hit no matter what state school they play the championships at as the money has to come from somewhere and the State is NOT going to foot the bill.

Also Murfreesboro is now the fifth largest city in the state, and if it keeps going at its present rate it will PASS Chattanooga in size in the next 5 years to be the fourth largest city in the state.

I do not see it moving in the near future. Besides moving it would mean Ronnie Carter would actually have to drive somewhere! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Did the Franklin vs Oakland game have more than 7000 paid attendance?

Having attended title games at both Vanderbilt and MTSU, I must admit the Cookeville alternative sounds pretty good.

Why not let cities bid on this like they do the Olympics or NCAA basketball tournaments. If the idea is for the TSSAA to maximize its dollars then let the cities bid on it.

This might encourage cities to put together true 'events' instead of just games. Creating 'events', which might include special hotel deals, restaurant deals, local attractions, etc. might also bring more fans to the events.

The broadcasting of the games on TV is not going away though. We the media must continue to place the spotlight on high school football in our state whenever the chance is there. Most games in Knoxville are televised (well, except this past season) and that doens't hurt the crowd size much.

It is easy for us here in Middle Tennessee to say that Murfreesboro is the logical choice because it is in the center of the state. However, ultimately that is unfair to those in West and East Tennessee because they NEVER get the games anywhere relatively close. Remember the geography of our state is unlike any other as far as the distance from one end to the other.

Another thought is that the Saturday games are played on one of the great college football days of the season. That is some stiff competition. Remember these college conference title games weren't really competition for these state title games until the last few years. Maybe weekdays would be better.

Just thoughts.

Let's get the new stadium built in Tullahoma & bring it here. Between Tullahoma & Manchester there should be enough hotel space. This would definitely give the high school atmosphere. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I'd like to see it back at Vandy. Nashville is the state capital, they have a turf surface, and the stadium has held it before. Why did they ever leave Vandy anyway? Are there any large high school stadiums in the Boro/Nashville area that could hold the crowds but make the atmosphere better than at MTSU or Vandy?

Not true. Vandy reverted back to natural grass several years ago. They no longer make their field available for high school and TSU games as they did when they had turf. This is why the TSSAA championship games left Vandy several years ago.

Just thoughts.

Just ask brentwood academy fans on how they liked a midweek game, or think about maryville faithfull driving back home after a game and havin too get up the next morn to go to work

Cookeville has just as much to offer as the Boro. What's to need, a stadium,hotels and a place to eat and maybe get an adult beverage. Doesn't matter where it is really. And Memphis will always the be the odd man out unless the games are played there.

Also I heard a interesting suggestion in the Boro last weekend... blind draw among all six classes for day and time of the games. 1-A could play Sat nite. And 6-A Fri afternoon. That ought to start a lot of whinning!!!

Cookeville has the worst mall on the face of the earth and since we are talking about the high school state championship we are talking about families with high school kids so the mall is important no way to cookeville, I say if Murfreesboro is going to lose it move it to vandy

Cookeville has the worst mall on the face of the earth and since we are talking about the high school state championship we are talking about families with high school kids so the mall is important no way to cookeville, I say if Murfreesboro is going to lose it move it to vandy

You can forget about Vanderbilt Stadium or LP Field. No natural grass facility can handle a five or six game football weekend. Just think about the field conditions if we had an all-day rain during the event. Vanderbilt wouldn't agree to it, even if their home season was over, because of the cost of repairing the field. The Titans wouldn't agree to it, because they would have two or three regular season games, plus potential playoff games, still to play, and wouldn't want to risk their field being ruined. Any field that will host the state championships must have an artificial surface. MTSU, Tennessee Tech, and Austin Peay (I believe they have artificial turf) are the best options in the midstate.

Some of you don't get it. Vandy is not an option and MTSU is about to drive up the price to hold it there. The contract is up and it seems negotiations are going nowhere. So look at your alternatives.

The only logical city is Cookeville. I don't think many families coming to the championship games go to the mall. Most families drive in Friday night, spend the night and drive back Saturday after the game or vice-versa. If a contract is not reach, where will it go? To me Cookeville makes the most sense.