What do you think of this postseason plan?

TrenchWarrior

The plan I have been pushing for 2 years on here -

4 classes, 32 teams in playoffs, 12 districts divided into four regions per class of three districts each. Top 2 teams in each district automatically qualify for the playoffs with the top 2 third place finishers in each region. You compete against at least somewhat geographic teams for playoff spots instead of Cloudland competing against Lake Co for the final playoff spot.

To make up for lost revenues, allow 11 regular season games. Week 0 (or I guess week -1) can be used for games similar to the Hall of Fame Games in basketball. TSSAA can take 1/4 or 1/3 of the profits with the rest going to whoever puts on the game or however the teams playing want to split it up. Pretty much does away with jamborees, but I think the civic groups that put many of them on could adjust.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will try to limit this as best I can. I believe both systems/old and new don't work. First off, how can you award playoff spots based on regional games only, and not all your games except in tiebreakers? It makes no sense to me. Essentially, part of your season really doesn't matter when it comes to the playoff seedings. Every game should matter. Who you play should matter. This is how it's done in Ohio, and it is considered one of the best formats in the country, and the most competitive playoffs in the nation by some "experts". Ohio playoff format It is based on computer points for each win or tie, and puts an emphasis on the quality of your wins. Six divisions with D1 being the largest, D6 the smallest. These are the basics of it.

POINT SYSTEM

On the first level:

Points are earned for each game a team wins.

(FULL VALUE)

Points are earned for each game a team ties.

(ONE-HALF VALUE)

On the second level:

Points are earned for each game a defeated opponent wins.

(FULL VALUE)

Points are earned for each game a defeated opponent ties.

(ONE-HALF VALUE)

Points are earned for each game a tied opponent wins.

(ONE-HALF VALUE)

Points are earned for each game a tied opponent ties.

(ONE-FOURTH VALUE)

Points are earned on the following basis:

Division VI opponent win ??“ 3.5 points; tie ??“ 1.75 points

Division V opponent win ??“ 4.0 points; tie ??“ 2.0 points

Division IV opponent win ??“ 4.5 points; tie ??“ 2.25 points

Division III opponent win ??“ 5.0 points; tie ??“ 2.5 points

Division II opponent win ??“ 5.5 points; tie ??“ 2.75 points

Division I opponent win ??“ 6.0 points; tie ??“ 3.0 points

5.1 First Level Points are awarded for

a. Each game a team wins (full value)

b. Each game a team ties (half value)

c. No points are awarded for game lost

5.2 Second Level Points are awarded as a result of a team defeating or tying an opponent according to the following formula:

a. Defeating an opponent awards to the winner the loser??™s first level points.

b. Tying an opponent awards the team one half the opponent??™s first level points.

c. No second level points are awarded for losing to an opponentFirst and second level points are awarded for each victory

You can play a team from any division, and many smaller teams "play up" in order to make the playoffs. Anotherwords, it matters who you play. You can go 8-2 or 9-1 playing a cupcake schedule and be a low seed, or maybe not even make the playoffs in some cases. Several years ago, Newcomerstown went 10-0 and did not make the playoffs because almost every team they played had a losing record. Conversely, there have been many times when a team has gone 6-4 or 5-5 and beat out teams with 8-2 or 9-1 records because their schedule was brutal, and vitually every game was against a quality opponent, which makes those wins worth more points. You can find examples of this at this link....Computer Rankings It forces you to "schedule" your way into the playoffs, by adding quality non-conference opponents. This makes for many more BIG regular season matchups that otherwise wouldn't happen. It also brings the level of play up, especially in the playoffs, as everyone deserves to be there based on the quality of their wins, along with record. I believe it is one of the reasons for the depth/quality of football in Ohio. One last note: there is no public/private divisions. They all compete together based on enrollment only. From 2002-2007, 36 championships were won in 6 divisions. Public schools won 19 titles, private schools won 17 titles. Things are fairly even because they play each other regularly, and have to compete at their level every year. That's another reason for the depth of great teams in Ohio in my opinion.