Teague Commits

chaos001

FLORIDA GATOR!

it's gonna be tough cheering on Florida, but if Marsalis is on the team, it'll be easy to cheer for him. Congrats!!!

Teague says Gators are best fit for him

By TOMMY PRIDDY, P-I Sports Editor

After months of visits, telephone calls and trips, Henry County High School senior football player Marsalis Teague has made a decision on where he will attend college.

Teague said Thursday night that he is making a verbal commitment to the Southeastern Conference power Florida. He said schools like Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia Tech were all great schools and showed a great interest in him but he likes everything he has seen about the Gators??™ program.

???I??™ve seen them play three times this year. I made my official visit when they played LSU, went to UT and went to Vandy when they were there. Everytime, I could just see myself playing for them. I really like my position coach, Coach (Vance) Bedford who recruited me and I like Coach (Urban) Meyer. It just seems like the best fit for me,??? Teague said.

Bedford coaches the cornerbacks at Florida and was seen at Patriot games this season. Teague said Bedford very much wants him playing cornerback for the Gators but Meyer has told him to not rule out playing a slot receiver position and possibly returning kicks.

???I really don??™t care whether it is offense or defense or returning kicks. I just want to be at the position that will get me on the field quickest,??? said Teague.

Teague said it is a relief to announce his decision so he can step back a bit from the recruiting rat race. The national signing date is Feb. 4 and schools can still try to sway players??™ decisions but Teague believes now he will have a chance to concentrate on his classes at HCHS and work on his physical conditioning.

???I want to work on my agility and speed if I??™m going to play cornerback. I??™ll need to get on the field and practice on my coverage skills. I think that with the coaching on technique that I??™ll get when I get to Florida that I can play there (at cornerback),??? Teague said.

He doesn??™t have a major picked out yet and said it was a little like trying to decide which school to attend. He lists business, law and medicine as possible careers.

Teague has been a two-year starter at quarterback for the Patriots where he set school records for touchdown passes in a season and a career. He also holds marks for total yardage, longest run from scrimmage and longest punt return. Teague is the school??™s most accurate passer for a season and career. He ranks third on the Patriots??™ all-time passing yardage list and fifth in rushing yards.

His career passing totals are 117 completions in 195 attempts for 1,840 yards. He has thrown 27 touchdown passes with just one interception in regular season play. As a runner, he has rushed 181 times for 2,212 yards and 26 touchdowns.

Adding in his playoff numbers, Teague has passed 280 times with 167 completions that gained 2,525 yards. He has thrown 32 touchdowns with just six interceptions. Teague ran the ball a total of 300 times for 3,231 yards and 38 touchdowns.

He also played in the defensive backfield, played some receiver as a sophomore, returned kicks and punted at times for HCHS.

Many awards have come Teague??™s way this season. He was named the Gatorade Tennessee Football Player of the Year and Mr. Football for Class 4A. He also is the Region 7-4A Most Valuable Player and earned the Offensive MVP award from the Toyota East-West Classic played last week in Jefferson City.

???All those awards are real nice but really you don??™t get those awards unless you have good teammates playing with you,??? Teague said. ???You can be putting up good numbers but if your team doesn??™t win, nobody pays much attention. I??™ve been lucky to play with some really good players and that has helped bring on the awards.???

Teague was joined at the East-West all-star game by senior teammate Dominique Allen. He said they talked during the game about how sad it was they wouldn??™t be able to pull on the Patriots??™ red uniform again.

???It has been a great ride at HCHS. I hate we didn??™t win that state title that we should have won but I have no doubt that next year??™s team will have the capability of winning it. I wish those guys the best of luck. They need to just keep going out there and having fun. They need to play every game like it was their last one, especially in the playoffs. I know I have a lifetime of memories about playing at Patriot Stadium,??? said Teague.

Those memories include the cheers and the support Patriot fans have shown Teague throughout his career. He said he has gotten tremendous guidance from Patriot head coach Joe Gaddis and assistant coach Brian Wyatt along with the entire HCHS staff.

Teague is the son of Lola Williams and Lawrence Teague, both of Paris. He said has already learned to do the Gator chomp as he prepares to head to Florida.

???I??™ve got that down. Only (Tim) Tebow does it left over right,??? Teague said with a laugh.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FLORIDA GATOR!

it's gonna be tough cheering on Florida, but if Marsalis is on the team, it'll be easy to cheer for him. Congrats!!!

Teague says Gators are best fit for him

By TOMMY PRIDDY, P-I Sports Editor

After months of visits, telephone calls and trips, Henry County High School senior football player Marsalis Teague has made a decision on where he will attend college.

Teague said Thursday night that he is making a verbal commitment to the Southeastern Conference power Florida. He said schools like Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia Tech were all great schools and showed a great interest in him but he likes everything he has seen about the Gators??™ program.

???I??™ve seen them play three times this year. I made my official visit when they played LSU, went to UT and went to Vandy when they were there. Everytime, I could just see myself playing for them. I really like my position coach, Coach (Vance) Bedford who recruited me and I like Coach (Urban) Meyer. It just seems like the best fit for me,??? Teague said.

Bedford coaches the cornerbacks at Florida and was seen at Patriot games this season. Teague said Bedford very much wants him playing cornerback for the Gators but Meyer has told him to not rule out playing a slot receiver position and possibly returning kicks.

???I really don??™t care whether it is offense or defense or returning kicks. I just want to be at the position that will get me on the field quickest,??? said Teague.

Teague said it is a relief to announce his decision so he can step back a bit from the recruiting rat race. The national signing date is Feb. 4 and schools can still try to sway players??™ decisions but Teague believes now he will have a chance to concentrate on his classes at HCHS and work on his physical conditioning.

???I want to work on my agility and speed if I??™m going to play cornerback. I??™ll need to get on the field and practice on my coverage skills. I think that with the coaching on technique that I??™ll get when I get to Florida that I can play there (at cornerback),??? Teague said.

He doesn??™t have a major picked out yet and said it was a little like trying to decide which school to attend. He lists business, law and medicine as possible careers.

Teague has been a two-year starter at quarterback for the Patriots where he set school records for touchdown passes in a season and a career. He also holds marks for total yardage, longest run from scrimmage and longest punt return. Teague is the school??™s most accurate passer for a season and career. He ranks third on the Patriots??™ all-time passing yardage list and fifth in rushing yards.

His career passing totals are 117 completions in 195 attempts for 1,840 yards. He has thrown 27 touchdown passes with just one interception in regular season play. As a runner, he has rushed 181 times for 2,212 yards and 26 touchdowns.

Adding in his playoff numbers, Teague has passed 280 times with 167 completions that gained 2,525 yards. He has thrown 32 touchdowns with just six interceptions. Teague ran the ball a total of 300 times for 3,231 yards and 38 touchdowns.

He also played in the defensive backfield, played some receiver as a sophomore, returned kicks and punted at times for HCHS.

Many awards have come Teague??™s way this season. He was named the Gatorade Tennessee Football Player of the Year and Mr. Football for Class 4A. He also is the Region 7-4A Most Valuable Player and earned the Offensive MVP award from the Toyota East-West Classic played last week in Jefferson City.

???All those awards are real nice but really you don??™t get those awards unless you have good teammates playing with you,??? Teague said. ???You can be putting up good numbers but if your team doesn??™t win, nobody pays much attention. I??™ve been lucky to play with some really good players and that has helped bring on the awards.???

Teague was joined at the East-West all-star game by senior teammate Dominique Allen. He said they talked during the game about how sad it was they wouldn??™t be able to pull on the Patriots??™ red uniform again.

???It has been a great ride at HCHS. I hate we didn??™t win that state title that we should have won but I have no doubt that next year??™s team will have the capability of winning it. I wish those guys the best of luck. They need to just keep going out there and having fun. They need to play every game like it was their last one, especially in the playoffs. I know I have a lifetime of memories about playing at Patriot Stadium,??? said Teague.

Those memories include the cheers and the support Patriot fans have shown Teague throughout his career. He said he has gotten tremendous guidance from Patriot head coach Joe Gaddis and assistant coach Brian Wyatt along with the entire HCHS staff.

Teague is the son of Lola Williams and Lawrence Teague, both of Paris. He said has already learned to do the Gator chomp as he prepares to head to Florida.

???I??™ve got that down. Only (Tim) Tebow does it left over right,??? Teague said with a laugh.

This guy is a player, he fits the Florida system better then Alabama or Tennessee, but he will have to step it up down there, they will have a whole bunch of guys coming in as good as he is...my advice is stick close to Tebow and learn from him....

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Congrats Marsalis.....I'll miss watching you in Patroit Red, but look forward to watching on tv. But mainly, congrats on a very fine education you will receive from a very prestigious university, not only athletically but academically. Glad you stayed SEC, the best conference in America no doubt!!!! Watch out for those skeeters down there in the Swamp!!!! lol

I never got a chance to see Teague play. He must be a special player. As much as I hate UF, it is an honor to get a scholly from them. I'm sure there are 20-25 db's in the state of Florida that are dying for a UF scholly. That says a lot about what UF must think of Teague's potential. UF doesn't have to leave the state for "average" prospects.

Crap, this stinks. I HATE the fact that Tennessee keeps losing top talent, especially to somone like the GayTurds.

All it means is that TN high school football isn't as bad as some think it is. When places like Notre Dame, Southern Cal, Alabama, LSU, Florida, etc. are fighting UTK for that talent it is not a negative thing. However, I too wish UTK could get every top recruit from TN.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

you wouldn't be the same person who posts as "titansup57" on the Tennessean are you? the same one who left a comment there saying that you were "glad this piece of crap landed somewhere?"

atleast i hope not.

i hate that some people have zero class or respect for others. how horrible it must be to live their lives.

you wouldn't be the same person who posts as "titansup57" on the Tennessean are you? the same one who left a comment there saying that you were "glad this piece of crap landed somewhere?"

atleast i hope not.

i hate that some people have zero class or respect for others. how horrible it must be to live their lives.

Oh, don't even let me get started on that stuff. Those kind of folks deserve much more than just a firm reprimanding. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

atleast i hope not.

Heck no, that ain't me. I don't think he is a piece of crap, I wanted him to go to my beloved Vols for crying out loud! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />