big 9 player of the year

tricitiessportsfan

Big 9 Player of the Year  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Big 9 Player of the Year

Very True!

Well spoken- team that plays together.

Thanks.... I always wonder why it changed to the success of a team or the highest scorer. But!!! I would much rather earn team awards like being Big Nine champs in 87 than any individual award. Don't get me wrong.....being named to the Arby's All Tourney Team is a great honor, but for me...I cherish the team success and individual awards come after that. I guarantee you that Eric would trade his MVP awards for District Champs as a team any day!!!! GOD BLESS!!!!!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I think you guys have it wrong. The MVP shouldn't go to the BEST player, or the best player on the best team. tt should go to the most VALUABLE player to his particular team. Not saying that can't be the best player as well.....

Best example I can think of is the NFL MVP this year. We all know Peyton won it. But does anyone know who finished 2nd??? Anyone?.... Chad Pennignton of the Dolphins. Now there is NO WAY he is the 2nd best player in the NFL. But with out him, do you think the Dolphins would be in the play-offs? Or even finished with a winning record? Probably not...

But thats just my opinion on an MVP.

Very true. The play of the trio over time, and the fact they will have to share the spotlight, will negate their POTY potential. In that light, Odem and Young have a significant advantage. With the injury to Sullivan Central PG Brown, Roberts may be able to make an argument for himself depending on how his role changes.

Why Carl Roberts??? Tyler DeVault deserves to be nominated also. Even Nathan Vannoy.

The Arby's did provide some fodder for Big 9 Player of the Year honors.

Justin Sylvester played injured for the majority of the tournament, but did play well in the games he played in. Although the Indians almost pulled off a victory in overtime against Louisville Male, KY without him, it was apparent he was missed. He has yet to take a game over, as he has in years past, but plays well in big games and against quality competition. Stock falling.

Josh Odem had a very good showing in the Arby??™s, especially against North Carolina commit Leslie McDonald of Briarcrest Christian. He also showed out against Dobyns Bennett in a losing effort. Though the 'Toppers went 0-2 in the Arby's, it took nothing away from his resume of being the player of the year. Stock rising.

Corey Young played well in the Arby's, leading his team to a very respectable showing against very good competition. He was the only local player to make the Arby's Classic All-Tournament Team. One could suggest that it is him, and him alone, that is taking the Vikings to new heights, playing at a very competitive level. I believe he is currently the front runner for player of the year honors. Stock rising.

Carl Roberts I did not see over the holiday. I understand he played well in the Highlands Union Bank Tipoff Classic at Virginia High, helping his team to win the tournament championship. Someone from the Cougar camp will have to inform us of his play in the Bobcat Classic in Bluffton, SC. Anyone? The fact he did not play in tournaments locally may hurt his chances of earning player of the year honors. Stock unsure.

Making an argument for player of the year honors are Ashlon Adams and Jordan Edwards.

Ashlon Adams is proving to be a dominating player. He is dominating teams locally, pouring in 29 points against his former team, Science Hill, in the Arby's. He also proved he can play well against quality teams in the Arby's, but needs to play a complete game, not taking plays off, in order to make his way to the top. Stock rising.

Jordan Edwards is a dominate player locally, no questions about that. He played well in the Arby's, but was in foul trouble for most of the tournament. His inside presence on the boards is lacking at times, but he more than makes up for it with points in the paint and from the foul line. Defensively, he has the ability to consistently block shots and is a disruptive force in the paint for opposing teams. Stock rising.

Disclaimer: This is all my opinion, take it for what it is.

yes Carl played well in the Highlands Union Bank Tipoff Classic at Virginia High, HELPING his team to win the tournament championship. Also HELPING the team, was Nathan Vannoy who was awarded MVP and Tyler DeVault who made the all tournament team.

I'm assuming your meaning that Nathan Vannoy is the best player for the Cougars? My question, then, is...take Carl Roberts off his team and how good are they? I ask that seriously, not sarcastically.

Never assume anything, you'll see how much Brown is missed from here on out. The Cougars are 2-2 without him already. Tn High up next on Tues. without Brown they have no point guard, no leader, and noone to come off the bench and help out when Roberts gets tired. Roberts is a good player just not POTY caliber IMO. DeVault and Vannoy leads this team most of the nights. This could end though without Brown feeding the posts. Roberts shoots well but does not deliver the ball like Brown. Take either DeVault or Vannoy off this team and see what would happen. Although Vannoy plays no defense, he is capable of taking over a game offensively. DeVault can play with anyone underneath, his size is not huge but his wingspan and jumping ability are huge advantages. My vote goes to Edwards for POTY. He's a force almost every night, offensively and defensively.

At this point, if I could change or add some names to the poll I created I would. It doesn't matter, however, who I would take off or add to the ballot, from what school they hail from, or what their stat line is, Odem or Young will most likely win POTY honors. Both are absolutely indispensable to their team??™s success, even more so than the other names we have thrown out here are to their team??™s success.