What is wrong with USJ?

utfan3

I think that basketball at the school is the 4th wheel (behind baseball, football, and even soccer) - whether that's due to the program's leadership, the school leadership, I'm not sure. Also, I think that specialization in other sports has hurt basketball (kids would rather play other sports plain and simple - which is a another deeper issue - social, socioeconomic, etc)- combine that with losing (not many kids want to come out and get their brains beat in by Haywood, Fayette Ware, etc) and playing in a loaded district, and not wanting to play for the coach, and it's pretty obvious why kids don't want to come out. I think that basketball could succeed at the school - with the right leadership/coach (While I respect Tommy Russell tremendously, and think he's a great man, and fine basketball coach, I think it's time for new leadership for the program) and with the right leadership of the school - I'm not sure the people leading the school, in general, know what they're doing regarding athletics as a whole, not just basketball. There are athletic kids at the school (not necessary basketball players) that want to play, but don't - for some of the reasons stated above.

Elvis, I won't get into what they do on the floor and what happens on the floor. I'm not the coach, what they do is up to him, and I won't second guess him.

These are my opinions, many may disagree, that's what these boards are for.

The people leading the school don't know what they're doing regarding athletics as a whole or anything else.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To those critical of USJ Boys Basketball:

I don't know anything about the people who run USJ. I know very little about their team, except they are very young. What I do know is Tommy Russell is among the best, if not the best, basketball coaches in West Tennessee. Whether he runs the flex, motion, princeton, etc...doesn't matter. He has forgotten more basketball than most of us know. He is a fine man, husband, father, leader, educator that doesn't deserve being disrespectful to and questioned on a message board. His teams play hard, disciplined and are well coached. They are often out-talented in their current district - I would say in every district game - yet he still is very competitive. Remember just a few years ago, his team was in the state tournament in A. Do you really think he forgot how to coach? I saw his team once this year at Martin. They played hard and smart, lost by 1-4 points - don't remember - but it was to a team that was more athletic and shot it pretty well that day. It is not the coaching and when his team grows up and plays in a more competitive conference, will you then say he is a good coach again? Being critical of coaches and teams is easy. Have you tried coaching a high school basketball team before to compare your situation to his? Do you think you have the ability to take the players he has and beat the Fayett Wares, Haywood, North Sides of the world? If so, you need to get your degree, make some contacts and put your abilities to the test. His record speaks for itself.

I don't know anything about the people who run USJ. I know very little about their team, except they are very young. What I do know is Tommy Russell is among the best, if not the best, basketball coaches in West Tennessee. Whether he runs the flex, motion, princeton, etc...doesn't matter. He has forgotten more basketball than most of us know. He is a fine man, husband, father, leader, educator that doesn't deserve being disrespectful to and questioned on a message board. His teams play hard, disciplined and are well coached. They are often out-talented in their current district - I would say in every district game - yet he still is very competitive. Remember just a few years ago, his team was in the state tournament in A. Do you really think he forgot how to coach? I saw his team once this year at Martin. They played hard and smart, lost by 1-4 points - don't remember - but it was to a team that was more athletic and shot it pretty well that day. It is not the coaching and when his team grows up and plays in a more competitive conference, will you then say he is a good coach again? Being critical of coaches and teams is easy. Have you tried coaching a high school basketball team before to compare your situation to his? Do you think you have the ability to take the players he has and beat the Fayett Wares, Haywood, North Sides of the world? If so, you need to get your degree, make some contacts and put your abilities to the test. His record speaks for itself.

Very well said.

I would like to reemphasize the meaning of my previous post stating "time to try something different". This was simply my perception of the need for possibly a change in strategy to get through this year, not to staffing.

A good example of what you mentioned above was after a game over the Holidays attended by several ex-players. The post game reunion between these guys and Tommy signifies the admiration and respect they have for him.

Like I said, just like the Dallas Cowboys of the 80's.....you either love 'em or hate 'em.

Puff, As far as I can tell, I don't think anyone on here has said that Tommy Russell can't coach or is disrespecting him. Nor that he is not a great man, teacher, coach, husband, father, etc. He IS all of those things. I think that what is being said is that it's just time for new leadership of the program. He has been there a long time, it's just being suggested that the program needs new direction and influence.

And, I already have a degree, two of them in fact, as well as having coached on the middle school, high school, and college level. I have never questioned what Tommy Russell does on the floor, in fact, go back and read what I said, I've already said it before.

Guess that is why the graduation rate and college attendance after graduation is so low. Thanks for clearing that up /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

USJ is a great school. The graduation rate and college attendance would be high just because of the type of families that the school attracts. Without going into details, the attraction that the school has had in the past maybe wanning with the current people in charge. This is just my opinion and I know I am not the only one that shares this opinion.

Puff, As far as I can tell, I don't think anyone on here has said that Tommy Russell can't coach or is disrespecting him. Nor that he is not a great man, teacher, coach, husband, father, etc. He IS all of those things. I think that what is being said is that it's just time for new leadership of the program. He has been there a long time, it's just being suggested that the program needs new direction and influence.

And, I already have a degree, two of them in fact, as well as having coached on the middle school, high school, and college level. I have never questioned what Tommy Russell does on the floor, in fact, go back and read what I said, I've already said it before.

Then my post was not directed to you. It was directed to those such as:

The game has passed Coach Russell by. he is going to either change his approach to basketball or his address. (Elvis)

USJ is no good bc 1. they have no talent. 2. no athletes 3. no coaching. simple as that. and whats up with this john ross glover someone said that "he had all the tools to be one of the best in the whole state".......yeah right. (Humboldt58)

Well here I go again bringing up the problems. Hear the Glover kid has got into dunking. I will see him in Haywood and Covington hope to see him do that.... See USJ won a game against Carroll Academy. Well Well. Maybe the people at USJ will see that the game has changed and moved on. Since they are moving on to D2 might be a good time to do some moving of staff. Sounds like with some discipline coaching they might have a good team. other teams are hearing about the talent at USJ but they just not able to put is all together. Well maybe next year. - Elvis

The people leading the school don't know what they're doing regarding athletics as a whole or anything else. - nob4upost

It is directed at them. They are entitled to their opinion, as you are, and as I am. In my opinion, those are the type of posts that stir the pot and nothing positive comes out of it. With all of your degrees, congratulations by the way, did I refer to your posts? Don't think so.

Then my post was not directed to you. It was directed to those such as:

The game has passed Coach Russell by. he is going to either change his approach to basketball or his address. (Elvis)

USJ is no good bc 1. they have no talent. 2. no athletes 3. no coaching. simple as that. and whats up with this john ross glover someone said that "he had all the tools to be one of the best in the whole state".......yeah right. (Humboldt58)

Well here I go again bringing up the problems. Hear the Glover kid has got into dunking. I will see him in Haywood and Covington hope to see him do that.... See USJ won a game against Carroll Academy. Well Well. Maybe the people at USJ will see that the game has changed and moved on. Since they are moving on to D2 might be a good time to do some moving of staff. Sounds like with some discipline coaching they might have a good team. other teams are hearing about the talent at USJ but they just not able to put is all together. Well maybe next year. - Elvis

The people leading the school don't know what they're doing regarding athletics as a whole or anything else. - nob4upost

It is directed at them. They are entitled to their opinion, as you are, and as I am. In my opinion, those are the type of posts that stir the pot and nothing positive comes out of it. With all of your degrees, congratulations by the way, did I refer to your posts? Don't think so.

I hope coach Russell and the kids do great, I rooting for them. I just think their are bigger issues.