Franklin Rebels (2009-2010)

eraegbleel

First and foremost I would like to extend a "Thank You" and a "We are so proud of you" to all the players and coaches that made this past year's accomplishments possible. The Rebles made a far-fetched dream become reality this past year, and nobody can take that away.

But what happens now?...

That is a question that must be asked. Will Franklin find a way to avoid the "post-state-slump-year" that numerous teams tend to encounter after a highly successful year. Why do teams stumble and fall after a state runner-up or state championship title (i.e. Independence & Ravenwood)? How does Franklin rebuild and reload for next year, After losing the following key players:

#9 QB Graham Nichols

#67 C Mark Jackson

#65 LG Andrew Combos

#53 RG Alex Edrenkin

#66 LT Connor Walkup

#45 TE Stephen Mauer

#1 WR Jarriel Eaton

#57 John Jervis

#41 Hunter Howard

#40 Cole Nathan

#48 Nick Gordon

#22 Jonny Jones

#15 Ramsey Sellars

#8 Jamual Starnes

#24 & 27 The Zegal Brothers (Joseph & Daniel)

It may sound grim, but it is the truth. Franklin is only returing 3-4 of the offensive starters. Meanwhile on the defensive side of the ball, The entire linebacking corps and secondary is graduating with the class of 2009, and only one starter is returing on the defensive line. I know that Franklin is bright and optimistic about the return of Alex Ford, Keylo Lee and the immergence of young new-comer Shawn Dye, but at the same time with only one Offensive Lineman returing FHS must ask "will the holes and running lanes be open like they were last year?" Without Graham Nichols as a decent passing threat will opposing teams be able to stack the defensive front and in-turn nuetralize the running game of Franklin? On Defense who replaces the big shoes of this past year's team? Who are the potentail kids who will step up and deliver the punch worthy of wearing numbers like 57, 48, 15, 40? What young sophmore is willing to devore the time and effort that it takes to command the defensive packages of Franklin Football like Joseph Zegal did this past year?

How does Franklin's upcoming schedule and region further affect this omnious changes?

All of these questions marks are more than worthy of floating around the coaches and players heads at Franklin. The answers to these questions may be answered next fall, but the words and sentances that must be formed to answer these questions must begin to assemble NOW.

CAN/ WILL THE 09-10 REBELS CONTINUE TO BELIEVE

I agree that they won't have a team like this past seasons, especially with the new district. However the above mentioned comment about teams falling or stumbling after a state championship appearance is not completely true. Ravenwood made back to back appearances in the state title game in 05 and 06. But graduation and a down year in competition (Indy 07) have a lot to do with it.

The difference between middle of the road teams and ones that make it to the big dance every year is Coachs who realize that players do graduate and prepare for the next season during the current one and get players ready to fill the gaps graduation creates.

Having said that, you have to look at what players did get significant playing time this year that were not Seniors. Secondly you have to look at the players that were freshmen this year that may have the ability to step up straight to starting roles this next year also.

To be a constant winner you actually need to have a 5 year plan for players shuffling thru. Franklin and Brentwood do this and will always be in the hunt. R'dale USED to do it, but that philosophy is gone now unfortunately.

Here is my question.....will Donnie Webb stay put at Franklin? Or will he be snapped up by another program as their head man? Best of luck to Franktown.....a CLASS act program from top to bottom.

I dont know how many schools, at least in 5A or 6A that would be willing to hire him as a HC. No offense to Donnie, but his tenure at Henry Co. was pretty mediocre

I dont know how many schools, at least in 5A or 6A that would be willing to hire him as a HC. No offense to Donnie, but his tenure at Henry Co. was pretty mediocre

Are you talking about the coaching or the talent being mediocre /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />