Hillsboro Next Football Season

I understand, in football that has been Maryville for the last 8 years. 1-3 record against them in state championship games does that. Maplewood was a region deciding game the last 3 years and the game got hyped by the media, but I'm not sure if that was really a rivalry, and if so, a very short lived one.

Franklin-HHS the last two years was a GREAT atmosphere, that's why I anticipate that becoming a big rivalry. Oh, duh! MBA-HHS was a HUGE football rivalry way back when. Actually, the only school MBA has played more times in football than HHS in their history is Father Ryan. The last two years rekindled that rivalry atmosphere very well, but with this new district being uber difficult I'm not sure if the MBA-HHS series will be renewed for a while.

You're probably right about Centennial due to the stakes regarding playoffs and such. The potential is definitely there.

Oh yea i forgot about HHS and Franklin playing eachother at Vandy the past two seasons but yea i totally understand that. I just thought Centennial would be a good one seeing how Centennial doesnt really have a rival. In the old region it usually like this when it comes to rivals; Franklin-Brentwood (obvisous, two older schools), Brentwood-Ravenwood (Ravenwood spilt up brentwood high, instant rivalry), Franklin-Independence (IHS 2nd year varsity team came from behind to win 24-17 spoiling Franklin's state ranking and region standing, FHS has hated us ever since and also has a civil war kind of wierd feel to it, Independece Eagles..Franklin Rebels)

Those games usually draw the most crowds. Centennial even tryed to start one with Indy in 2008 by putting up flyers on our school doors and windows saying 'this is Cougar Country', but we whopped their butts.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Centennial even tryed to start one with Indy in 2008 by putting up flyers on our school doors and windows saying 'this is Cougar Country', but we whopped their butts.

That reminds me of a couple of instances that reportedly occurred at HHS several years ago: Stratford, before the 3rd round of the playoffs back in 2003, spray painted a big orange "S" on the field at John Koen Stadium. The other instance happened I want to say in 2002, when Overton burned an "O" in the area around the North endzone. They were more of an annoyance than an insult though because both games HHS won without too much of a problem.

I understand, in football that has been Maryville for the last 8 years. 1-3 record against them in state championship games does that. Maplewood was a region deciding game the last 3 years and the game got hyped by the media, but I'm not sure if that was really a rivalry, and if so, a very short lived one.

Franklin-HHS the last two years was a GREAT atmosphere, that's why I anticipate that becoming a big rivalry. Oh, duh! MBA-HHS was a HUGE football rivalry way back when. Actually, the only school MBA has played more times in football than HHS in their history is Father Ryan. The last two years rekindled that rivalry atmosphere very well, but with this new district being uber difficult I'm not sure if the MBA-HHS series will be renewed for a while.

You're probably right about Centennial due to the stakes regarding playoffs and such. The potential is definitely there.

I bet if you asked any of the coaches for the past three years who the biggest rival was, they would tell you Maplewood... I mean they only played them 4 times in three years - that's a lot more than 4 in eight years - it's a whole lot more than 7 quarters in two years as is the case with Franklin... now Centennial seems like it will be the natural rival with the new football district, but we'll just see.

I bet if you asked any of the coaches for the past three years who the biggest rival was, they would tell you Maplewood... I mean they only played them 4 times in three years - that's a lot more than 4 in eight years - it's a whole lot more than 7 quarters in two years as is the case with Franklin... now Centennial seems like it will be the natural rival with the new football district, but we'll just see.

You may be right, but I'm not sure it was ever considered a big deal from an HHS perspective because the one time they lost in 3 years to Maplewood was by 1 point on a missed potential game-winning FG and also a game in which HHS lost EIGHT fumbles; and even in that year they won the region championship over Maplewood. Either way, rivalry or not, it was short lived.

Also, I'll be surprised if Franklin-HHS doesn't become a big rivalry in football. I'm not saying instead of Centennial, but rather in addition to.

You may be right, but I'm not sure it was ever considered a big deal from an HHS perspective because the one time they lost in 3 years to Maplewood was by 1 point on a missed potential game-winning FG and also a game in which HHS lost EIGHT fumbles; and even in that year they won the region championship over Maplewood. Either way, rivalry or not, it was short lived.

Also, I'll be surprised if Franklin-HHS doesn't become a big rivalry in football. I'm not saying instead of Centennial, but rather in addition to.

3-5 years from now it would probably be Franklin seeing how Franklin is always good and has depth, and you dont want to have a rivalry between a school you always beat up on. Like i said before centennial is never good... ever.

3-5 years from now it would probably be Franklin seeing how Franklin is always good and has depth, and you dont want to have a rivalry between a school you always beat up on. Like i said before centennial is never good... ever.

Well that, and seeing how Franklin and HHS don't like each other anyways based on the atmosphere at boy's basketball games and then the last two years at football games as well (note: 1st time in MANY years HHS-Franklin had played each other in football).

From what I heard the Maplewood/Hillsboro rivalry will continue this year. A parent told me they heard they play week 1.

Really? Cool if that's the case. I get to hear boski's trash talking again. I hadn't heard that yet though.

With 5 non-district games to schedule per year now, I figured HHS would continue playing some MNPS teams. 2009 so far has Gallatin and Siegel for non-district play. Leaving 3 games left. Since I doubt MBA will be renewed for this year, it would stand to reason that Maplewood could easily be on the schedule. I would also expect Hillwood and Overton as well due to close proximity. That would be a very solid schedule for HHS.

They said they heard Whites Creek and also Cane Ridge.

Well, alrighty then. I am disappointed in not playing Hillwood or Overton. I wonder why Whites Creek would get the nod over either of those. I don't think many casual high school football fans will be interested in that one, but I could be wrong. I'm sure Cane Ridge is on there due to being the new high school in MNPS.

As an honest Indy Eagle supporter, I needed to make a few corrections. Centennial has been bad in the past but have improved since Coach Mat arrived. Sorry mack, but we didn't "whoop" the Cougars in 2008. Centennial beat our boys in football at our own house. I believe it was 37 to 20 something.

On another note, it is very likely that both Hillsboro and Centennial will make the 5A playoffs. Between the two, the one with the best record will advance. In addition to that, the wild card selections are based purely on record. It is quite possible that if you had an 8-2 Hillsboro team get the automatic bid that a 7-3 Centennial team would qualify for a wild card spot. I just wanted to throw that out there if no one had considered it.

Can't wait to see Hillsboro vs. Indy. Eubanks and company better prepare well. A rough season could mean his job.

Well, alrighty then. I am disappointed in not playing Hillwood or Overton. I wonder why Whites Creek would get the nod over either of those. I don't think many casual high school football fans will be interested in that one, but I could be wrong. I'm sure Cane Ridge is on there due to being the new high school in MNPS.

Whites Creek football is on the rise.