underdogs for A/AA

madrid5

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious... what is your perception of how they/we recruit?

I don't think the private school directly recruit, but if you are a good soccer player and live in an area that has a private school with a great soccer program such as CAK, why would you go anywhere else. For example, look at the entire Chatt. area. Where are the great soccer players going? Chatt. Christian or Notre Dame. Thay don't have to be recuited.

I don't think the private school directly recruit, but if you are a good soccer player and live in an area that has a private school with a great soccer program such as CAK, why would you go anywhere else. For example, look at the entire Chatt. area. Where are the great soccer players going? Chatt. Christian or Notre Dame. Thay don't have to be recuited.

Please add Baylor, McCallie and Boyd to your list. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I can respect that answer. Well thought out and stated.

Is that what you were referring to, socceraddict?

I can respect that answer. Well thought out and stated.

Is that what you were referring to, socceraddict?

oh sorry for any problems I caused. I don't mean that the big soccer names go out and literally recruit players. They don't of course. I just mean that it only makes sense for the good players to attend those schools. There's no real reason not to. I should have clarified. My bad.

I mean no disrespect to the schools that consistently make the state tournament. In fact, I mean the opposite. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication. It's just that the select programs near those schools are fantastic and the players grow up and play together anyway. They make life for all others quite difficult /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

As for all the other schools, I'm not saying they work harder to get to the state tournament, but a lot of things have to go their way. Here's what I mean: first of all, the area of the school must have generated soccer interest. This is rare to say the least. Next that area must have a good coach at the school. Without a good coach, good players mean little. Next, the players that have potential must stay interested in soccer as opposed to other sports such as football (which is basically a religion for small towns where a/aa schools are). The players must be well coached from a young age and be decent athletes at least. Once in high school, they must all play together well and get "lucky". by get lucky I mean that a lot of good players must be the same age. Often good players come along but it's random instead of a steady flow. They have to work just as hard as the other schools to stay competitive.

I'm not saying it's unfair. It's not an unfair system. It's just harder. I don't know if that makes sense (probably only in my head). I have the utmost respect for the schools that consistently make the state tournament. They are stellar programs and their success doesn't happen by accident nor does it happen because of unfair advantages they get by means that are outside of the rules. Sometimes it seems as that other players look from the outside at these programs and only wish they were born in that area because they would make the same decision the players at those schools made and that's go where you have the best chance of winning the big one.

does that make sense?

and sorry again for the confusion

Makes perfect sense. And that is why I asked. I thought it was what you were alluding to. No harm done what so ever.

I think you brought up some very valid points. Many of the schools in A/AA don't get a lot of soccer support. I have heard from some of my fellow coaches that I am friends with, that they have been kicked off of the practice field in order for another athletic team (no need to specify) to have their spring off season practice. They also don't get a whole lot of monetary support, not that it is necessary to form a good team, but there are basic needs and supplies that a team must have.

Good coaching is a huge benefit, but without talent (or a huge amount of good fortune) it is hard to advance. A lot of the rural schools don't have a large off season soccer environment. They may have good athletes, but without soccer knowledge to go with it, success is somewhat fleeting.

Alcoa USED to be that way. Great athletes. Decent soccer knowledge. But when they faced more experienced teams, they didn't have a lot of success. Then Coach Gorman comes along and turns the program around. In my mind, he should be ranked in the top coaches in the state of TN. He has turned that soccer team into a true contender that has the unfortunate position of being in a very difficult region. In most any other area, he would be a state entrant most years.

The thing I respect most about Coach Gorman, is that he has shied away from no one, but also prepared the boys to get to the point where they can challenge those "big boys". And not only challenge, but sometimes defeat! When faced with tough challenges, he has never complained, but just said "bring it". He has instilled the most passion in a team I have ever seen. I truly enjoy playing against him and his boys, as they are some of the classiest young men you will ever face. And that comes from the coach. He and Coach Fowler have taught them what it means to be true champions.

Just thought I would sing the praises of a man that doesn't get sung alot about.

Can't wait to get started.

well said Big G. Of course everything I post is only opinion. In fact, it's only the opinion of a high school soccer player. I live in one of the small towns. I have played against some of the top schools (not often however). They are well coached and it's always fun. I gotta admit I'd love to play CAK or the other big schools in a/aa. I love competition.

I try to stay unbiased of course. Sometimes I slip up though. I can't wait for the season to start. Of course my team is an underdog. If you pay attention to what boards I post on you can figure out who I play for. Not even the guys on my team know my screen name though. Again, the teams in the top 10 are great schools and deserve the success they earn. I gotta say though, I'd love to shake things up

I think you also have to look at the economical status of the area the school is in. Let's take the Knoxville/ surrounding area into account. When you look at the top programs (CAK, Catholic, Farragut, etc) they are located in a location that would be considered upper economically. I think this allows for those areas to get more of their players playing club ball and that's where a lot of the experience that G was talking about comes into play. I've noticed that the areas like Alcoa, Carter, Gibbs, and further out are starting to get some club programs together, and made those schools more competitive over the last few years. I think this is partly due to more and more people moving out to these surrounding areas that can afford for that type of play. I'm not saying that if they train hard they can't be just as good. Look at Alcoa as an example, just saying they might be a little behind the learning curve. Just my two cents worth.

I think you also have to look at the economical status of the area the school is in. Let's take the Knoxville/ surrounding area into account. When you look at the top programs (CAK, Catholic, Farragut, etc) they are located in a location that would be considered upper economically. I think this allows for those areas to get more of their players playing club ball and that's where a lot of the experience that G was talking about comes into play. I've noticed that the areas like Alcoa, Carter, Gibbs, and further out are starting to get some club programs together, and made those schools more competitive over the last few years. I think this is partly due to more and more people moving out to these surrounding areas that can afford for that type of play. I'm not saying that if they train hard they can't be just as good. Look at Alcoa as an example, just saying they might be a little behind the learning curve. Just my two cents worth.

Club ball (especially D-1 club) is very expensive. Fortunately, there have been some local clubs that have formed that play a limited local schedule (no travel tournaments) and keep the fees low. It can be done, but it takes a fair amount of work. While the level of play isn't what you would find at, say, Atlanta Cup, it still gets the players out playing in the off season.

The problem with some of the more rural areas that you were referring to, is that you need to have enough guys interested in doing so, or you will be forced to travel a fair distance (which will be a bigger financial cost).

This is the reason that the Tennessee soccer coaches association fought so hard to keep the 50% rule out of soccer. It wasn't so that the strong teams stayed strong, but for the developing teams to have the chance to form a local club. If the 50% rule had passed, those schools could never have those teams.

Club ball (especially D-1 club) is very expensive. Fortunately, there have been some local clubs that have formed that play a limited local schedule (no travel tournaments) and keep the fees low. It can be done, but it takes a fair amount of work. While the level of play isn't what you would find at, say, Atlanta Cup, it still gets the players out playing in the off season.

The problem with some of the more rural areas that you were referring to, is that you need to have enough guys interested in doing so, or you will be forced to travel a fair distance (which will be a bigger financial cost).

This is the reason that the Tennessee soccer coaches association fought so hard to keep the 50% rule out of soccer. It wasn't so that the strong teams stayed strong, but for the developing teams to have the chance to form a local club. If the 50% rule had passed, those schools could never have those teams.

The last couple of post are dead on. IMO....But I still believe that in the rural small town USA, soccer is still looked down on. With the small towns there are only an X number of boys, and they would rather play football and baseball, because that is what their Dads played growing up.

While soccer continues to grow, I feel small town USA is still a generation away with competing with suburban USA.