Tri-County Seven

krichunaka

Elizabethton is a very good team. They can shoot on some nghts and they play good Defense. They also have Pietrowski. But I don't think this EHS team will be able to keep squeeking out wins against lesser teams. If they dont go full throttle the whole game against teams like Happy Valley or Hampton or UC, then those teams will pull the upset. They need to stop letting teams stay in the ball game. Keep their foot on the gas and just absolutely blow teams out! They have the talent and coaching to do that. But for some reason they dont.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elizabethton is a very good team. They can shoot on some nghts and they play good Defense. They also have Pietrowski. But I don't think this EHS team will be able to keep squeeking out wins against lesser teams. If they dont go full throttle the whole game against teams like Happy Valley or Hampton or UC, then those teams will pull the upset. They need to stop letting teams stay in the ball game. Keep their foot on the gas and just absolutely blow teams out! They have the talent and coaching to do that. But for some reason they dont.

While I agree that, for now, Elizabethton is the best team, they aren't that much better than the others, which was demonstrated by the overtime loss by Unicoi County to South Greene, and last week's very close call at Happy Valley. Add the Unicoi County and Happy Valley wins over Chuckey Doak, and we have several examples of near-parity.

The Lady Cyclones have a very stout, six-two, senior post player, and a few other pretty good players. But there is no talent mismatch, one-through-six. Put another way, there are players, and in fact, several of them, from the other Seven teams who are at least equal to the Lady Cyclones.

With respect to the very capable talent at Elizabethton, except for the home game with Hampton, the Lady Cyclones simply haven't demonstrated the ability to blow the other, near-equal teams out. And though the Lady Cyclones have a very good coach, there are three, and probably four others his equal.

So, it's not personal, but there's nothing to suggest a great disparity here.

As you so eloquently stated krich Elizabethton is no better than the rest they are just the benefactor of having a 6'2 post player. Put MP on any of the other teams and see if they don't improve. The Lady Cyclones will find out what the real world is like when MP graduates and they don't have anyone taller than 5'9 or 5'10, them I'm sure that they will change their tune. Just imagine if they had been playing without MP for most of the season like Hampton has without Weddle. People just don't understand what it's like. Cloudland without McKinney, Unaka without Winters, Happy Valley without Ward, Unicoi Co. without Gardner, then let's hear what you have to say. Don't go downing our teams just because we are smaller than you.

As you so eloquently stated krich Elizabethton is no better than the rest they are just the benefactor of having a 6'2 post player. Put MP on any of the other teams and see if they don't improve. The Lady Cyclones will find out what the real world is like when MP graduates and they don't have anyone taller than 5'9 or 5'10, them I'm sure that they will change their tune. Just imagine if they had been playing without MP for most of the season like Hampton has without Weddle. People just don't understand what it's like. Cloudland without McKinney, Unaka without Winters, Happy Valley without Ward, Unicoi Co. without Gardner, then let's hear what you have to say. Don't go downing our teams just because we are smaller than you.

I"m not really sure I"m reading your post correctly. Krich stated that there is not much difference between all the teams. The fact is Elizabethton does have MP. And that is what makes them a little better than the other teams. Also that must be factored in there is the point guard, Powell for Elizabethton. She really makes them a pretty good team. Each team must play with what they have. Injuries are a part of the game. The team that can adapt to adversities usually are the teams that go the fartherest down the road. Elizabethton does have the best point/post combination of the seven and that is what makes them number one. Does that carry them to a victory each night. Well, no. The other players also factor into a win or loss. Elizabethton does have a good supporting cast but in positions two through four the other teams in the seven might be a little better. Thus the parity.

Come on folks! Pietrowski would be the dominant player on any team in the Seven and Elizabethton is glad to have her! Powell would start for any team in the Seven, except maybe Cloudland, and is one of the groups top point guards. I think Jefferson would start for every team, except possibly Unicoi Co. and she would be the first post off their bench. Bowling, Fritz, and Kiser would either start or be in the rotation for every other team. The gap may not be as wide as in the past, but one through six, I believe the Cyclones are the best team. They will have to adjust next season after Pietrowski graduates, but I bet the returning five and the developing jv players will do just fine.

Come on folks! Pietrowski would be the dominant player on any team in the Seven and Elizabethton is glad to have her! Powell would start for any team in the Seven and is one of the groups top point guards. I think Jefferson would start for every team, except possibly Unicoi Co. and she would be the first post off their bench. Bowling, Fritz, and Kiser would either start or be in the rotation for every other team. The gap may not be as wide as in the past, but one through six, I believe the Cyclones are the best team. They will have to adjust next season after Pietrowski graduates, but I bet the returning five and the developing jv players will do just fine.

Sorry folks, this is redundant, but necessary:

Let's take nothing from the relatively recent, incredible run Elizabethton has been on. There have been many

very good players, most of whom I could name, but would doubtless leave some very deserving ones off.

Elizabethton has had two of the biggest, most dominant players in our area. The Pietrowskis are not only

very good athletes, but, for those who don't already know, brilliant students. In other words, top quality Ladies.

And so far this season, ain't nobody been able to beat the Lady Cyclones. However, 17, you're either wearing those orange glasses again, or you're being just a wee little bit misleading.

To repeat, Elizabethton has been on a run. From Holtsclaw-Baughman, to Baughman-MP53, and now Powell-Jefferson-Pietrowski51; it's been great. And, it might continue.

But, many of us seem to remember things a little differently. We're aware of a few other teams with at least equal records. To be fair, you didn't see most of those teams play very much, so we have to continuously refresh your memory.

Cloudland, the team Elizabethton handled in early-season, has a more-impressive record over the past decade; It

wasn't that long ago that Hampton went to three state tournaments in four seasons; Happy Valley, though not quite

as outstanding recently (though they beat Elizabethton once last year) has had some very good teams; and we've

documented the tremendous run by Unaka, under Coach Chambers...

And, of course, your nemesis, those hated Lady Blue Devils. For sure, you've more than held your own in that

series for the past half-dozen seasons. Before that? Elizabethton never beat them. Not once. In fact, the season of the first EHS win, after sweeping the Lady Cyclones in regular-season, the Lady Blue Devils lost their best player, Elizabeth Weaver, to a serious ankle injury just before the District Tournament.

For those relatively new to the board, this IS NOT about undermining the great, recent run by Elizabethton. And, it's only fair to point out that 17 played a substantial role in the development of nearly all of those great players and teams. But, there appears a bit of historical revisionism here, and those not-so-subtle remarks can't just go by.

The "gap" to which you're referring simply doesn't exist. It never did. For instance, even with the (probable) best-ever, EHS State-Tournament team, there was no gap. Unaka's 31 game winning streak comes to mind.

And about the players: I've seen them several times. They're all very good. And you're right, all of them would either start, or be key, first-off-the-bench performers on the other Seven teams. But we could also trufully say that about at least the starting fives from the other teams. Again, many of us could name most of them, but that's not the point. Just some thoughts.

Elizabethton is better than any of the other six. Bar none. They have by far the best ball players as a whole. Not saying that the likes of Gardner and Ward and others couldnt play at EHS. But Elizabethton is better as a team than any other. They have the ability to blow any of the other teams out on any given night. As they have against many teams in the recent past. They demolished Hampton, and if I remember correctly Weddle played that game. So when Elizabethton comes to play they WILL blow the other six out.

I want to see my Cyclones start doing that. I see flashes of brilliance at almost every game. I can't wait until they play another game at full tilt. And show that they are MUCH better than anyone else.

GO CYCLONES!

They demolished Hampton, and if I remember correctly Weddle played that game. So when Elizabethton comes to play they WILL blow the other six out.

Yes she did or tried to. She was about 50 % and probably shouldn't have even tried to play. Wouldn't have mattered that night, elizabethton played very well.

Elizabethton is better than any of the other six. Bar none. They have by far the best ball players as a whole. Not saying that the likes of Gardner and Ward and others couldnt play at EHS. But Elizabethton is better as a team than any other. They have the ability to blow any of the other teams out on any given night. As they have against many teams in the recent past. They demolished Hampton, and if I remember correctly Weddle played that game. So when Elizabethton comes to play they WILL blow the other six out.

I want to see my Cyclones start doing that. I see flashes of brilliance at almost every game. I can't wait until they play another game at full tilt. And show that they are MUCH better than anyone else.

GO CYCLONES!

Now THAT was tinted orange!

I don't think anyone is diasgreeing that...

Yes, the Lady Cyclones are the Seven's number one team.

They've beaten the other Seven teams, a couple of them by large margins.

They have MP51. She's not only big and talented; but her recovery from the

ACL injury of her sophomore year was very incredible. A certain college player,

if she so chooses.

I remember suggesting, even in early season, that this team could probably play

in Murfreesboro.

It's only fair, however, to take issue with some of the irresponsible statements

being tossed about. More specifically, the overall talent level is not better than the

other teams. Granted, the Lady Rangers and Lady Longhorns are struggling. The

Lady Bulldogs are hurting. Cloudland lacks a big post presence. And, Unicoi County

is very young. But talent-wise, there are several at least equal players throughout

the Seven. That's no knock on Elizabethton. It's not personal.