Smith Co. Football

Guest Termite

Could be flinging it around a little. Have a kid that throws pretty good and a BUNCH of guys that can catch. Not a lot of speed, but maybe enough. Ground game should be OK if the line stays healthy. I believe there are 5 that can move some people around a little. Vance-Bray-Gibbs-Denny and McKinney and I expect another or 2 to step up and provide a little depth.The RB's are thin,right now it seems. It could look different this week. We get to see who wants to carry the mail with pads on.Silva doesn't have a lot of speed but I would be hard pressed to name a tougher kid.

I think Maynord does favor the ground game, and I think Gentry likes to air it out. You play the hand your dealt. Run to set up the pass,could be pass to set up the run.

If this is kind of hard on The HC, he could be in trouble since Al is not around anymore to provide medical attention........or a bag of ice. :flower:

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

70-80 players????? That is a large number for a school that size. I guess every young man wants to play football for the black & gold. Right now there are 39 players on the Cubs football team.....that is it! I'm sure that by the time we unload the bus in Carthage that number will be around 34-35 players. Football just doesn't gain as much attention in Ashland City, Kingston Springs, or Pleasant View as some would tend to believe at first. Of the 39 that are listed on the roster right now only 3 of those guys are seniors. That means essentially that it's a team comprised mainly of freshmen, sophomores, and juniors. In the end though I wouldn't trade those guys for any others guys in the world. Most all of the young men on board right now are hard working people who just want to play and get after it because they have a strong love for football. An environment like Smith Co. can be very intimidating (especially for young guys) but I would suspect that our Cubs look forward to the challenge of going to "The Hole" and playing a Top 10 ranked team in the state in 3A football to start out the season.

As of today there are 88. By the end of the next 2-3 weeks there will probably be 80. That has been common around here for a while. We have the coaches to keep them busy during practices too. Last year was our lowest number of Srs in a while...I think there were 11?? and this year there are 19. Alcoa is about the only team I've seen (our size) that has as many dressed out. It is pretty impressive when we go on a long away trip and charter 2 busses just for the team. Like I said before, there are some that will rarely touch the field and they need football worse than football needs them.I teaches them more than they realize. Some just like being a part of all the activities associated with being a football player.The coaches have instilled a pride about wearing the black and gold. The community is behind them which is evident by the support during games and contributing to the program. Even after each game it's amazing how many fans go on the field to met the players and tell them "good game" and how much fun it is watching them play.

It's getting closer Howdy........................

As of today there are 88. By the end of the next 2-3 weeks there will probably be 80. That has been common around here for a while. We have the coaches to keep them busy during practices too. Last year was our lowest number of Srs in a while...I think there were 11?? and this year there are 19. Alcoa is about the only team I've seen (our size) that has as many dressed out. It is pretty impressive when we go on a long away trip and charter 2 busses just for the team. Like I said before, there are some that will rarely touch the field and they need football worse than football needs them.I teaches them more than they realize. Some just like being a part of all the activities associated with being a football player.The coaches have instilled a pride about wearing the black and gold. The community is behind them which is evident by the support during games and contributing to the program. Even after each game it's amazing how many fans go on the field to met the players and tell them "good game" and how much fun it is watching them play.

yeah we'll have to start a thread soon :flower:

yeah we'll have to start a thread soon :flower:

Howdy, speaking of community support, the Owls have an indoor practice facility that was financed totally by the community. The school system doesn't have 1 cent in it. It has artifical turf and all the works with the weight room in it also. Maybe one of the owl fans will put a photo of the facility on here so you can see it. It has really helped the program. Not bragging just proud to have it.

Howdy,

It's a great place to watch a high school football game. I'm a little bias to the Creekbank, but will have to admit that they have something special in SC. The atmoshere is unbelievable. A tremendous amount of community support, the food, and the layout of the stadium, makes it 2nd best place in area to watch a game, at least to me. I've got to give it up to the Owl Mafia. The fans are very knowledgable and supportive, even though we like to throw jabs at each other from time to time. You just don't get the same feeling, energy, and electricity in too many other places. In comparison to Gordonsville... there is none, other than it's in the same county. Apples and oranges, my friend.

Howdy,

It's a great place to watch a high school football game. I'm a little bias to the Creekbank, but will have to admit that they have something special in SC. The atmoshere is unbelievable. A tremendous amount of community support, the food, and the layout of the stadium, makes it 2nd best place in area to watch a game, at least to me. I've got to give it up to the Owl Mafia. The fans are very knowledgable and supportive, even though we like to throw jabs at each other from time to time. You just don't get the same feeling, energy, and electricity in too many other places. In comparison to Gordonsville... there is none, other than it's in the same county. Apples and oranges, my friend.

Termite correct me if I am wrong - Last year the TENNESSEAN ranked "The Hole " the 2nd best place (atmosphere) in Middle Tennessee to attend a football game. Only "The Pit" at lincoln Co. was ahead of us.

Howdy,

Termite correct me if I am wrong - Last year the TENNESSEAN ranked "The Hole " the 2nd best place (atmosphere) in Middle Tennessee to attend a football game. Only "The Pit" at lincoln Co. was ahead of us.

Scooter, I believe you are correct. I've never been to "The Pit", but I've always heard it's one of a kind. That was all just my opinion. Like I said I'm a little bias to the Creekbank, but I'd much rather go to the "hole" than anywhere else around, esp. when we are playing some of the teams in our region/district, or whatever we're calling it now. Come to think of it, I probably went to more SC regular season games last year, than I did TC regular season games.

Howdy,

Scooter, I believe you are correct. I've never been to "The Pit", but I've always heard it's one of a kind. That was all just my opinion. Like I said I'm a little bias to the Creekbank, but I'd much rather go to the "hole" than anywhere else around, esp. when we are playing some of the teams in our region/district, or whatever we're calling it now. Come to think of it, I probably went to more SC regular season games last year, than I did TC regular season games.

I've been to "The Pit" once. Back when Mark Medley was coaching at Lebanon I went down and watched them play. I have to say, it has an atmosphere that you won't forget.

Howdy...go to the SC team website....Look under Albums...at the Owls football facilities.

I think the website is undergoing an update..but the pictures of the practice facility are there.

Howdy...go to the SC team website....Look under Albums...at the Owls football facilities.

I think the website is undergoing an update..but the pictures of the practice facility are there.

Termite I don't have the web site - tried to Google it and still couldn't fine the correct site - can you give us the site ? Thanks