Smith Co. Football

Guest Termite

Should be an interesting game by the time DeKalb comes down to Carthage. Both teams will have played several games by that time and worked out some of the kinks. And we will know more about what to expect from both teams by that time. Plus sounds like it is a great place to play, DeKalb hasnt been there in a long time, to my knowledge.

Anybody know how long ago its been since they have played each other.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be an interesting game by the time DeKalb comes down to Carthage. Both teams will have played several games by that time and worked out some of the kinks. And we will know more about what to expect from both teams by that time. Plus sounds like it is a great place to play, DeKalb hasnt been there in a long time, to my knowledge.

Anybody know how long ago its been since they have played each other.

2004 in Smithville.

:thumb:

I was planning on a trip to The Swamp on the 19th, but looking at the schedule this weekend and can't miss DC coming to town. Guess I'll see if I can get to the UT @ Bama game instead.

That might not be a bad decision. The DeKalb vs Smith might be a better game. I am predicting a shootout, neither defense can stop the other. Kind of game DeKalb had with Upperman toward the end of last season. Final score in that game was 40-37.

I was planning on a trip to The Swamp on the 19th, but looking at the schedule this weekend and can't miss DC coming to town. Guess I'll see if I can get to the UT @ Bama game instead.

That might not be a bad decision. The DeKalb vs Smith might be a better game. I am predicting a shootout, neither defense can stop the other. Kind of game DeKalb had with Upperman toward the end of last season. Final score in that game was 40-37.

"neither defense can stop the other" Hmmmmm, let me see now - DC with a good QB and two good receivers (lost their offensive line) - contained pressure from all sides coming, well, we'll just have to wait and see.

I think you may be right. Which defense is able to get the most stops will likely have a big edge. Alot of things to find out between now and then, though. Upperman only got 14 on SC, but the Owls are looking at having to replace a handful of physical defenders. I just don't see the Owl D allowing a big number, even against DC's potent attack.

I think you may be right. Which defense is able to get the most stops will likely have a big edge. Alot of things to find out between now and then, though. Upperman only got 14 on SC, but the Owls are looking at having to replace a handful of physical defenders. I just don't see the Owl D allowing a big number, even against DC's potent attack.

DC's season will not depend on their QB and two receivers - their OL must be super heroes. If I am right, they lost some quality linemen. D1 you might fill us in on the OL.

DC's season will not depend on their QB and two receivers - their OL must be super heroes. If I am right, they lost some quality linemen. D1 you might fill us in on the OL.

I dont know enough about what DC is capable of on offense to know what their success depends on. I know they scored a ton of points a season ago. I know that if the Tigers aren't able to threaten to run it a little, then it could be tough for them. The same could be said about SC by then, though.

I am sure Smith's Defense will be tough, no doubt, I will say the best we will face all year. But just giving the facts. Out of 12 games last year no team held DeKalb under 20 points. And one of those 20 point games was a 20-6 victory over Sycamore which DeKalb had well in hand. They were only held to under 28 three times.

Its no secret, how much time our quarterback has to stand and evaluate the field, or even scramble and buy time is a key to achieving the type of offensive numbers we had last year. Plus dont forget the quarterback ran for almost 900 yards last year, hes not just a pocket passer, he is a very good runner. And running back has been replaced by Weatherby, expect big things out of this kid this year.

Yes we lost several o linemen, but dont get me wrong there are players there to take there place. A couple of the seniors are pictured on the front page of DeKalb's website at the bottom. http://www.dekalbcountyfootball.com

But like I said, by the time the DeKalb vs Smith game rolls around everyone will know whether the offense is clicking like last year or not.

The indoor practice facility looks very nice. The people in the Carthage community should take great pride and feel very proud of that place. It is an amazing athletic building and I am sure that the coaches and players appreciate it every time they step foot into it.

I went by the first day of TWO-A-DAYS today and was very impressed with the way that our guys got after it. Now you know that the 1st day should always be like that because of the excitement to actually get to hit one another but all in all the kids really showed effort and picked one another up all day long. The fog was very heavy at 6am this morning but when things ended around 12:30pm this evening it was a very nice and mild summer afternoon. The weather shows rain for the remainder of the week. Hope it doesn't totally ruin the work that has to get done this week. The 21st is rapidly approaching.

As for the train whistle I have to say that I hate those things. The team that always beat us when I played in high school had a train whistle and they sounded that thing off like crazy every time they scored against us. Unfortunately I have to say that the whistle blew quite a bit as well during those years :thumb:

As for "The Pit" at Lincoln Co. I have been to a game there. It was a playoff game a few years ago between Riverdale-Lincoln Co. The Falcons were actually rolling heading into that game and were probably the favorites to win the 5A state title. Rankin had the Warriors ready to go that night and they came away with a very hard fought win. It was a tremendous atmosphere to watch a high school playoff game.

The best atmosphere I have ever been to personally to see a game was either the 2003 playoff game between Sycamore-Greenbrier, the 2004 playoff game between Huntingdon-Milan, or the 2007 playoff game between Pearl Cohn-White House. All 3 games were action packed and both sides of the stands were into the games throughout the entire night. It also helps that all 3 of those games went all thew way til the final snap of the game before things were settled.

Howdy.... When the place was being built and shortly after completion...the players were walking around with their chest thrown out saying "look what we got". The first day it stormed.....and they didn't go to the gym for walk throughs but had to go to the practice facility for full contact......."dang that building". :angry:

I know the coaches love it.

Hey......did anybody go to see the 1st day in pads today??? If so, what are your thoughts. Anybody stand out or any suprises? I know it's still early but sometimes there is a diamond in the rough and somebody may draw a little attention that is kind of unexpected.