Smith Co. Football

Guest Termite

CPA4Ever, that is a legit concern that I'm certain has been debated heavily by SC's coaches. 7 only got to play spot duty on D last year for that reason. It's been nearly a year and I don't have the best memory but I would think he played about 10 snaps on D, was thrown at about 4 times and had 2 picks. That's memory off my head...I might be way off...but I doubt it. 7 is a solid qb, as you saw yesterday. He's also a very good all around football player. The depth at the QB position is one of the reasons 7 is getting reps on D. Any player that can contribute at a high level on both sides of the football should be able to do so. That's my .02 anyway.

I hear you, but still disagree. Out of over 60 players, you have to have someone who can play the run as good as your QB without risking getting him hurt. Put him in against good passing teams (you won't play many) if necessary, but protect him otherwise.

Also, he will be a more effective QB if he gets to rest between offensive series. Just IMO.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the rest of Smith Co.'s preseason slate? I know they scrimmage Anderson Co. on Friday and then they scrimmage DCA the following Tuesday. Is their jamboree on the Saturday of that week prior to week zero? Who will they play in the jamboree? I believe, if I remember correctly, that they have been playing Station Camp in the jamboree for the last couple of years.

What is the rest of Smith Co.'s preseason slate? I know they scrimmage Anderson Co. on Friday and then they scrimmage DCA the following Tuesday. Is their jamboree on the Saturday of that week prior to week zero? Who will they play in the jamboree? I believe, if I remember correctly, that they have been playing Station Camp in the jamboree for the last couple of years.

SC plays Cookeville at Cookeville...and yes it is the week prior to week 0...on Saturday August 15th.

I think our jamboree will be every SC Owl teams from the 6-7 year olds up through the high school. That's a pretty cool setup should be a fun evening and get all the teams final tune ups for their seasons.

Your close. If I understand correctly, it will be...

2 quarter Freshmen

2 quarters JV

2 quarter Varsity

2 quarters powder puff

with Cookville....at Cookville.

The gate and consessions will be split down the middle.

I don't know about the specifics. I know that the youth football schedule has their jamboree the same day in Cookeville. I guess it was just wishful thinking to assume that all may be tied into the same event. The youth bunch is playing at TTU, so if the high school jamboree is at Cookeville High then it's not near as cool as I thought it was gonna be.

Went to the scrimmage as an outside observer, not as a diehard SC fan. Team appears to be very well coached, and has some good players, but typical of 2A (now 3A) school, not a lot of size.

QB #7 has a very good arm and accurate, #13 shows a lot of heart and runs hard, despite size, a couple of the receivers made some really nice catches in traffic. Was especially impressed with #51 - he is all over the field and a real hitter.

One thing I cannot understand is why they are playing #7 on defense. I don't care how good a DB he is, he is the key to a good season on offense. SC cannot afford to have him get hurt on defense. Put the 2nd stringer back there even if it is a step down, and protect #7.

CPA, I didn't get to go to the scrimmage, but you have a valid point. I know the coaches are aware of this situation, possibly trying to find that person to help at this position. No doubt, he is the best athlete back there and adds so much to our pass defense. I sse your point though.

#7 is a good athlete scooter but to me #5 is a better athlete overall (however I have only seen them in person once and this may not be the case in reality)

It depends what day it is. Being 1 year apart, they have been trying to out do each other for 16 years.

They both are very good baseball players too. Both pitch and play infield,can play outfield. They both could have been very good basketball players. I've heard kids from both SC and Gordonsville talk about playing schoolyard ball with them. If Joshua out does Brandon today in anything, I would bet on Brandon tomorrow. :ph34r:

And the scootman is right both are great kids....as is their older bother,Mom and Dad.