TEMPLE VS. CSAS , THIS FRI.

gracefan423

"Well what happens when the scrubs get in and they are still getting wide open layups you cant tell the younger kids who normally dont play "since we are up by 50 you are not allowed to play as hard as you can"

It's not about playing as hard as you can, it is about playing as fair as you can. Subs can get in the game and still play hard without rubbing it in/running up the score.

What is their to prove, as a starter, coach or sub, if your team is up by 40+ late in the game?

Seems to me you have already proven you are far superior than your opponent.

What if the coach asked for no fewer than 10 passes per offensive possession? That way the subs could work on their ball distribution skills in a game setting. That is only an idea. You could play a soft zone, rebound at regular speed/effort, slowly transition back to offense and then run through a set 4 times or whatever.

Point is...classy and effort can go hand in hand...you just have to be creative.

If I am coaching the team who is winning big and one of subs is out their showing off or whatever...he won't see the court for weeks.

I agree if you are murdering a team there is no need for the starters to still be playing in the 4th quarter and even sometimes in the 3rd, I also agree that a team shouldnt be pressing when up big. I guess my point is when the scrubs in let them play dont start giving them restrictions that you didnt give the starters. No one really wants to see a team just flat out get embarrassed but at the same time, when do we as a society stop babying these kids if you play sports long enough its going to happen to you. I have been on both sides of extremely lopsided losses and victories. We didnt cry when getting beat by 40, 50, 60 points and when we were beating people that bad when didnt taunt and make them feel bad for beating them like that

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach dragoo would never run up the score intentionally. This is a fact. I played for him and he would not tell his team to run up the score. From what I heard the 2nd and 3rd string guys were in most of the second half. If a team is that bad, in my opinion, and the 2nd and 3rd string guys are scoring at will, then there is not much a coach really can do. Now, CSAS is superior as far as talent goes to anyone else in our District. There is no doubt about that. Didnt Grace beat Silverdale by 60 or something earlier this year? Should we whine about Grace running the score up on Silverdale? Or is their a double standard that I am unaware of?

As for blowing someone out, it is not always the most deteriorating thing for the loser. I remember 2 years ago when CSAS got beat by 40+ 3 times in one week. Howard, Temple, and East Ridge. They ended up turning it around and improving as a team greatly. In fact, didn't Silverdale just beat Grace, a team that beat them by 50-60 earlier this year?

I just want them to show some class. Winning by that big a margin is shameful...to most people.

Winning by a big margin....when a team plays everyone who is dressed out for the game, of which the majority were freshmen and sophomores, playing half court defense the entire game, never trapping, never pressing....how is this not showing class? Let's look at your school, Temple. When we played them year before last, they were beating us by 30+ and at the end of the game the starters were still in and some kids never even got in the game. Or how about the State Championship game. Up by 25-30, starters in until the last MINUTE and some kids never got in the game. Do I need to continue because I can?!

Winning by a big margin....when a team plays everyone who is dressed out for the game, of which the majority were freshmen and sophomores, playing half court defense the entire game, never trapping, never pressing....how is this not showing class? Let's look at your school, Temple. When we played them year before last, they were beating us by 30+ and at the end of the game the starters were still in and some kids never even got in the game. Or how about the State Championship game. Up by 25-30, starters in until the last MINUTE and some kids never got in the game. Do I need to continue because I can?!

Temple beat David Brainerd by 60 points this season. Grace beat Silverdale by 50+ this season. CSAS beat Whitwell by 70+. Are all of these teams showing a lack of class or are these coaches just trying to coach their team with the big picture (for their team) in mind? dadoffour you started this conversation. I'd like your answer.

Temple beat David Brainerd by 60 points this season. Grace beat Silverdale by 50+ this season. CSAS beat Whitwell by 70+. Are all of these teams showing a lack of class or are these coaches just trying to coach their team with the big picture (for their team) in mind? dadoffour you started this conversation. I'd like your answer.

I think anytime you beat anyone by 50+ points, the case can be made that you could have shown better sportsmanship. This thread has already given a bunch of ways to keep the score from ballooning, and at the same time let your subs play hard. I didn't see the game where my team beat DB by 60, but a score like that probably wasn't necessary.

I certainly don't see how running up a score enables your team to see the "big picture."

In the final you're talking about...several weeks earlier CSAS had gotten within a handful of points of beating Temple in the region championship. I think Coach Skogen's reluctance to pull out his starters with a 30 point lead in the state final probably had more to do with respecting CSAS's ability to put up fast points on the board.

But, I do understand your point, and there were several times two years ago when I thought subs should have played earlier than they did. And in those cases, which is probably the case with Dragoo, the coaches aren't necessarily disrespecting the other teams. I just think more can be done to show respect.

I agree if you are murdering a team there is no need for the starters to still be playing in the 4th quarter and even sometimes in the 3rd, I also agree that a team shouldnt be pressing when up big. I guess my point is when the scrubs in let them play dont start giving them restrictions that you didnt give the starters. No one really wants to see a team just flat out get embarrassed but at the same time, when do we as a society stop babying these kids if you play sports long enough its going to happen to you. I have been on both sides of extremely lopsided losses and victories. We didnt cry when getting beat by 40, 50, 60 points and when we were beating people that bad when didnt taunt and make them feel bad for beating them like that

The scrubs can play without restrictions in the JV game. Until they get good enough to play quality minutes in varsity, they need to play within the boundaries of good sportsmanship.