HOW GOOD IS THE CULLEOKA DEFENSE

attila

If they are an average offensive team they sure didn't look like it that night. They hit everything they shot the second half with every shot with someone in their face. I was there and saw two good teams that night. MBA hit 8-9 3pt. shots. MBA also held their own against Ensworth who was ranked #1 in the Tennessean poll. Culleoka may not make the state but they are very solid defensively and almost never give up a truly 'open' shot. Culleoka has also played a decent schedule, I think it is ranked 40th on Coacht's rankings.

MBA has not scored in the 70s this entire year thats not the way the play but somehow they had their highest scoring game of the year against Culleoka. In my opinion their defense was better last year where the held mba to 42 points

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't you say,and i qoute, "The reason they will give cully trouble is that stiles is not afraid to take it to the rim no matter who is in the paint! As for darnell he will use his strengt to score points and not rely on his height to score points like the twins do"

Now granted the rest of the team dosen't match up well at all but judging by your past statements one would think those two would be able to tear cully's D apart. Just admit that the Culleoka Warriors have one of the best overall defences in the state.

ok correct me IF i am wrong but how many points did shawn or antwane score over darnell in that game? I think it was 0.all their points came off of someone else or from a putback. they never once backed him down and scored over him. darnell had the first 6 of the game over one of the twins. Go Culleoka! Once again the cully fans are world champs. cully has the best DEFENSE on the planet!

Everyone around Culleoka is expecting big things from this team. They expect them to beat everyone by 20 points or worse. I expect them to handle teams they should handle. I look at how they play against bad teams more than good teams. They don't have that killer instinct. They led the whole game probably. I know for a fact the JV did not get an at all!! I also know there was foul trouble. If they can't stop other teams because of foul trouble, is their defense actually that good. I think Culleoka has a good defense. Their coach makes sure of that. I just wanted to know how Santa Fe got 28 in the second half. I have talked to a long time Santa Fe fan and they said the Culleoka press was not as intense as it usaully is. They said Santa Fe was able to break the press with ease. If Culleoka wants to earn its spot at the Murphy Center, they have to stay intense and keep good teams in the 30's. Summertown and Collinwood are good scoring teams. I don't think Culleoka can score with them.

Culleoka must really on its defense to create some quick scoring opportunities!! They need to get back to smothering teams with presses and traps!! I would say that will be Coach Slatten's point of focus for the next two weeks!!

Nomad, I agree with most of what you said, but come on, they gave up most of those 28 points in the 4th when the game was out of hand. I think it was 19 points in the 4th. They allowed 9 in the 3rd. They won by 20.

I don't care if they only win by 1 point. The object is to win!! My only problem was with your statement that this might be the beggining of the end for Cully after a 20 point win. ( yes they gave up 28..19 in the 4th when the game was over and won by 20). It just sounded like a knock against them for some reason. So you think they should attack the whole game and beat Santa Fe by 30??? Would that have made you think it was not the beginning of the end for Cully. You looked at the box score so you KNOW they led the whole game. So Santa Fe broke the press with ease and lost by 20. So maybe the deffense does not have to rely on the press?? And as far as Cully being able to score with Summertown and Collinwood, that is a good question that remains to be seen. But the question might should be, can Summertown and Collinwood score enough to beat Cully. That will decide the games. ( And before I have to explain to some of the posters, Cully has proven they can play defense, sometimes Summertown and Collinwood have not. according to post by there fans on other threads).

But hey, they still have some district teams to deal with first!!!!

ok correct me IF i am wrong but how many points did shawn or antwane score over darnell in that game? I think it was 0.all their points came off of someone else or from a putback. they never once backed him down and scored over him. darnell had the first 6 of the game over one of the twins. Go Culleoka! Once again the cully fans are world champs. cully has the best DEFENSE on the planet!

Farmer my friend, I don't think anyone said little bro was not a good player, he is. This WAS a thread about Cullys defense. I understand that you posted that Cullys defense was not good against teams that match up with them. But you meant against teams like Humbolt or Manassas, who they have not played and may not play, so some people may have thought you meant little bros team.....and not that they were not good against the teams they have not played.

MBA has not scored in the 70s this entire year thats not the way the play but somehow they had their highest scoring game of the year against Culleoka. In my opinion their defense was better last year where the held mba to 42 points

If you think Cullys defense was better last year, then you really know nothing about this team.

Farmer my friend, I don't think anyone said little bro was not a good player, he is. This WAS a thread about Cullys defense. I understand that you posted that Cullys defense was not good against teams that match up with them. But you meant against teams like Humbolt or Manassas, who they have not played and may not play, so some people may have thought you meant little bros team.....and not that they were not good against the teams they have not played.

If you think Cullys defense was better last year, then you really know nothing about this team.

i wasnt tryin to make it about my lil bro. and i wasnt talkin bout his team. cully has good D no question. the true test will come if they make it to to the boro which will probably happen!

they wouldnt have got that many if the game hadnt went to overtime...and two guys for mba couldnt miss from 3 in the second half....cully's defense looked great for 3 quarterrs....they were up by 18 in the third quarter...but the two guys from mba just caught fire....that was a great game

culleokas d is legit...and they will prove that on tuesday

Mr Knowitall, ask yourself: Should Culleoka have beat Santa Fe by more than 20? Should Culleoka's JV played most of the 4th quarter? Coach Slatten is not one to pull starters out until he knows the game is out of hand. If he don't play any of the younger kids then he never felt comfortable about the outcome. Santa Fe was still fighting which they should have been. Culleoka only outscored Santa Fe by 1 point in the second half. Most of the damage was done in the 1st half. If Culleoka can't put Santa Fe away like they should, how will they fair against CA, Richland, and Cornersville; let alone Collinwood and Summertown if they get that far!! This team has hung its' hat on defense since Slatten has been the coach. It is a good scoring defense but is it the best or even great, they will have to prove that in the next 3 to 4 weeks!!

Mr Knowitall, ask yourself: Should Culleoka have beat Santa Fe by more than 20? Should Culleoka's JV played most of the 4th quarter? Coach Slatten is not one to pull starters out until he knows the game is out of hand. If he don't play any of the younger kids then he never felt comfortable about the outcome. Santa Fe was still fighting which they should have been. Culleoka only outscored Santa Fe by 1 point in the second half. Most of the damage was done in the 1st half. If Culleoka can't put Santa Fe away like they should, how will they fair against CA, Richland, and Cornersville; let alone Collinwood and Summertown if they get that far!! This team has hung its' hat on defense since Slatten has been the coach. It is a good scoring defense but is it the best or even great, they will have to prove that in the next 3 to 4 weeks!!

I give up Nomad. They are doomed!!! They only won by 20. They are finished!!!! What was I thinking. I hope they make the district tourney..

Why dont you get off Nomads back. He made a valid point . Cully should have beaten Santa Fe by 40!

Farmer my friend, I'm not on his back. I just found it funny that a 20 point win made him think "it was the beggining of the end for Cully". I also find it funny that people who use to say Cully fans got tore up if people didn't pick them to win by 20 are now doing the same thing.

Whatever, no matter what I will think this is a good defense because of what they have done this year. (not the greatest in the history of the world, but for Cully)

Good luck to all /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

And by the way nomad, since we both were not at the Santa Fe game, and someone said "some" starters were in the game in the 4th, how do we know........nevermind.

Farmer my friend, I'm not on his back. I just found it funny that a 20 point win made him think "it was the beggining of the end for Cully". I also find it funny that people who use to say Cully fans got tore up if people didn't pick them to win by 20 are now doing the same thing.

Whatever, no matter what I will think this is a good defense because of what they have done this year. (not the greatest in the history of the world, but for Cully)

Good luck to all /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

And by the way nomad, since we both were not at the Santa Fe game, and someone said "some" starters were in the game in the 4th, how do we know........nevermind.

Good point as well. We all can agree that cullys d is good. I think this topic should have read " Is cullys defense good enough to get them to the big game?"

I happen to play for Culleoka and i admit we haven't played to our potential yet on defense,and in a way thats a good thing b/c we're 22-2(9-0)..If we keep playing the way we been the past couple weeks we will be put out early and coach Slatten made us aware of that..We have played great competition in our district and we dont feel like we are better than anyone when we play them b/c we're not so any win is a good one if we play our hardest on D..Ill speak for the rest of the players when I say we will pick up our play and finish the season the best way we can.