should there be shot clocks

jcbiggestfan

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

compelling argument.......you just made one subconsciencely...preparing the kids for college play.

Now there are others. Alot of the posts say that teams couldnt adapt. Have a little faith, Rob made a very good point that the 10s in AAU adapt after just a couple of games. Another is that stats are more prone to flurrish and we know parent love that. Also playing time should be more distibuted since few can keep up the pace for 18 min stretches. Also it enhances the transition game. Without a shotclock, alot of games that are lets say a 10, 8 or even 6 point sread at the 3:00 min mark are over if a team starts their stall, whereas with the shotclock forcing the offense to continue playing the game is still obtainable. There are a books worth of more reasons but the most compelling is that if you were to ask the kids who have played in both situations what would their choice would be?

The argument that the shot clock should be in place to prepare kids for college is ridiculous. How many kids play high school basketball vs those that continue to play in college?.....relatively few is the answer. High school ball is for all the kids who love basketball and the shot clock will put strategy out the window in place of pure athleticism. In high school smart teams can play with the stars...they don't have to stall but if they can get you to play at their pace they may beat you on certain nights. When they beat you I promise you they are having a good time. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

holding the ball is not athetic its cowerdly.....

Holding the ball in not athletic, but it is not necessarily cowardly either. Done right, it can be very, very smart, and can make an overly aggressive team (athletic and definitely not cowardly) look like a bunch of clowns. But, it's got to be done right.

I would like to cast a vote "for" the shot clock

Redog, you've voted yes so many times, coachT will have a federal investigation on voter fraud. Someone will probably start voting the dead, dogs, cats,........................................Wait a minute,dogs........................can't believe it.

The argument that the shot clock should be in place to prepare kids for college is ridiculous. How many kids play high school basketball vs those that continue to play in college?.....relatively few is the answer. High school ball is for all the kids who love basketball and the shot clock will put strategy out the window in place of pure athleticism. In high school smart teams can play with the stars...they don't have to stall but if they can get you to play at their pace they may beat you on certain nights. When they beat you I promise you they are having a good time. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

The decision should be made based on what's best for the majority of the girls playing high school ball. In AAU play, the shot clock is good for the majority or a great number of those players. In high school the shot clock is only helpful to 3% of the girls (the number of girls who will end up with a college scholarship). End of discussion, as far as I'm concerned. It's about the girls.

We have about beat this dead horse enough. I am not ever going to favor a shot clock in high school girl's basketball, but if they adopt one we will all adjust. I have never been a huge proponent of AAU either, but the AAU opportunities in Upper East Tennessee were limited when I was coaching. I have no sour grapes, as I have no official AAU experience. I do know that you can build a winning program without AAU and that you can get scholarships without it. Elizabethton has had a very good seven year run (4 Region titles, 5 Sub-state appearances, 1 State Tournament appearance) and Rikki Baughman, Beth Holtsclaw, Valnessha Redd, Cameron Crapps, and Jasmine Treadway all got scholarships and played or are still playing college basketball. Michaela and Mariah Pietrowski both dabbled in AAU. Michaela spurned several Division 1 offers and went to college on an academic scholarship, choosing not to play basketball. Mariah is a senior this season and will sign with one of the several colleges that are recruiting her. Several other current Lady Cyclone's may also get an opportunity to play college ball. Could the program have been better with more AAU involvement and exposure? We will never know. I am not against it and if you want to do it, go for it. I am just saying that you do not have to play AAU to be successsful.

beat this horse to death whats the matter cant take the outcome of what needs to be done for controling the game. times are changing and its time for shot clocks period

The decision should be made based on what's best for the majority of the girls playing high school ball. In AAU play, the shot clock is good for the majority or a great number of those players. In high school the shot clock is only helpful to 3% of the girls (the number of girls who will end up with a college scholarship). End of discussion, as far as I'm concerned. It's about the girls.

Agree 100%, do what's best for the majority of the kids! Don't let the few make the rules for the many, like they have done on so many other things!

I would like to see a shot clock, at the High School level, just because I enjoy the fast pace game that it encourages. And frankly I am surprised that its used in AAU but not high school basketball?

Have you not watched college basketball and all the poor shots that are taken because of the shot clock. If that's your cup of tea then by all means drink it up, watch college ball. Let the highschool girls learn to run an offense, make good shot selections, and let the defense force mistakes.

Why not go back to them really small courts so it is easier to trap, because I love a good trap game. Plus with shorter courts they can push the ball up and down real fast and chunk up more shots. Yeah baby, that's what I'm talking about. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Who cares about shooting % as long as we can get off more shots for little Johnny and little Suzie!