Who here has ran the clock for the game?

bigbearsfan

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clock is better than the book IMO, it makes you more a part of the game, although there is obviously more pressure to not screw up. But one thing is for sure, all these things are better than filming. Watching the game through a tiny screen is torture when the real game is right in front of your eyes.

what a lot of coaches and most fans don't realize is the floor official dictates when to start and stop the clock with his hand. That way the operator watches for his signal on tips coming inbound and plays that happed in corners where sometimes a clock keepers vision may be blocked. There 's a lot of info that has to be punched in # that fouled,# of fouls on ind. player and #of team fouls on home and vistors. Its not bad when its a shooting foul but its sometimes hard to get all that info on inbound foul before ball comes in and clock starts.

what a lot of coaches and most fans don't realize is the floor official dictates when to start and stop the clock with his hand. That way the operator watches for his signal on tips coming inbound and plays that happed in corners where sometimes a clock keepers vision may be blocked. There 's a lot of info that has to be punched in # that fouled,# of fouls on ind. player and #of team fouls on home and vistors. Its not bad when its a shooting foul but its sometimes hard to get all that info on inbound foul before ball comes in and clock starts.

Exactly. I've never felt any pressure. I didn't hear the whistle in a 1 point on an in bounds play with about 7 seconds left because of the crowd noise. The ref came over and straightened it out. No sweat.

The bigger distraction is fans or my kid coming for concession stand money! Don't talk to the clock keeper unless you're a book keeper! Most organized people can do it. It's more about timing than anything else. Don't put up the points right away or feel like the player # and foul has to be immediate. The clock stops on free throws. Start the clock on the in bounds and then put up the points. When a player is fouled and you're entering the information, ask both scorers if they have 3 fouls on #22. That keeps everybody in check. Keep your eye on the ball. The ball scores the points and starts the clock. The referee's whistle stops the clock. Check for the upraised arms before putting a 3 on the board. I couldn't tell you who scored most baskets, so don't ask me. Keeping stats is much harder.

What I would like to see is a fourth official assigned to games that works the clock.

They have it in football, why not basketball???

He could be a beginner or 'new' official who is trying to get experience. Put him in the crew for the night, he gets to sit in with the crew for pre-game, ask questions and basicly get 'on the job training'.

Or - older, seasoned officials who want to stay around the game but are past their prime could do this job as well.

It would be an excellent training opportunity with minimal expense involved.