state next year

eaglewrestling84

The following is a note from Clarksville High's Jeff Jordan that he asked me to post for him

In 1999 the state duals were at Overton High School, we lost a close final to Bradley Central. The bigger loss was the possibility of losing the state duals because the TSSAA was losing money on them. I asked that they come to Clarksville. They stayed because the duals were profitable.

I have done two other things concerning the state duals. First I worked out a plan to make the duals possible for both public and private in the same gym. Then I worked it out so that we could expand using limited facilities. We found a way to add double elimination, region runner ups, small schools, and then expand the small school tournament.

My second contribution was to put the finest, most selfless people in charge of running the tournament. Contrary to popular belief, I have never requested or assigned a single match. Because of these fine people I have only coached.

This past weekend after the tournament, Heath Eslinger informed me that he and most others feel that hosting the tournament gives us an unfair advantage. I am in no way interested in unfair advantage. I have spoken to all those fine people who have donated so much for so long and told them that Clarksville High cannot host the tournament any more.

Thanks to those who have been appreciative, and I apologize to any who we may have offended. May the duals continue to get better throughout the years.

Sincerely.

Jeff Jordan

WHO MADE HEATH ESLINGER THE SPOKESMEN FOR THE ENTIRE WRESTLING COMMUNITY. IF CLARKSVILLE HAD NOT OF TAKEN ON THE STATE DUALS, WE MAY HAVE LOST IT. IT IS MUCH BETTER TO TRAVEL TO CLARKSVILLE THAN TO NOT HAVE A STATE DUAL TOURNAMENT AT ALL.

CLARKSVILLE DOES HAVE AN "UNFAIR ADVANDAGE". THE CLARKSVILLE PARENTS GET TO WORK THEIR BUTTS OFF WHILE EVERYONE ELSE SITS BACK AND COMPLAINS.

THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHO MADE HEATH ESLINGER THE SPOKESMEN FOR THE ENTIRE WRESTLING COMMUNITY. IF CLARKSVILLE HAD NOT OF TAKEN ON THE STATE DUALS, WE MAY HAVE LOST IT. IT IS MUCH BETTER TO TRAVEL TO CLARKSVILLE THAN TO NOT HAVE A STATE DUAL TOURNAMENT AT ALL.

CLARKSVILLE DOES HAVE AN "UNFAIR ADVANDAGE". THE CLARKSVILLE PARENTS GET TO WORK THEIR BUTTS OFF WHILE EVERYONE ELSE SITS BACK AND COMPLAINS.

THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

I think the issues are being confused here. I doubt Coach E was complaining about how hard the Clarksville parents worked or why they all seem to not have butts anymore.

The issue is the perceived advantage CHS has by having the tournament in their home gym, every year.

I doubt that an ultimatum of have it in Clarkesville or lose it was discussed either. There has to be more than those two choices to this situation.

WOW.....I believe the "unfairness" is aimed more toward the athletes participating in the event in their gym....not to mention all the money made off the tournament. its not aimed toward the parents.... hopefully the reason you work your butts off is so you can rep your school and kids well.

I'm sure the Bradley,Soddy,Cleveland,Science Hill,INDY parents wouldn't mind "saving the tournament" for the state.

Although I havent talked with him personally Im convinced Coach Eslinger doesent fancy himself to be the "spokesman" for the state. He is not nor should he be considered responsible for this happening. He was passing on comments that have been made for more than this past weekend only.This thread of the "perceived" advantage is not new to this past weekend. Like many discussions on Coacht you can count on this subject coming up adnauseum each and every year.(like D1 vs D2, BC vs Baylor etc.)

His comments Im sure had some context to them as well. Regardless this wasnt his "decision" by any means. Clarksville may have just decided what they go through and the gripes year after year are not worth it to them. If thats the case that certainly understandable. One of those gripes is the "unfair advantage" and they may just be sick of hearing it. Coach Jordan obviously doesent like the accusation of it and rightfully so in my view. But Coach Eslinger isnt the first person to ever talk about it. If he is that persuasive, O'Bama needs him for his press secretary.

I agree with you Animal on their working there butts off to do a service for TN wrestling and as I posted earlier they did a D### good job over the years and we should be thankful for that.

For 2 months I have taken myself from these boards after realizing valuable time in my day was being spent reading posts that had no impact on my life and benefited my team in no way, shape, or form. After being informed of my popularity on this thread I thought I would give the true insight into what was said following the state duals on Saturday night.

First, I would like to say that never have I said that Clarksville didn't do a great job with the duals. Artie Manning is probably one of the best tournament directors around and any program would be lucky to have him. He and Coach Jordan have done a great job with the duals and I would never want the responsbility of hosting it. To me, it shouldn't be a schools responsbility is should be the TSSAA's responsibility to put on the post season championship.

Second, my conversation with Coach Jordan was not in the context of where the duals were held. It was in the context of some things that occured in our match. My reason for speaking to him was first and formeost to apologize for anything said to him during our match that wasn't appropriate. I hope that I will always remain humble enough to do just that throughout my coaching career. My only point to Coach Jordan about the duals is that each of us seemed to only look at circumstances from our own set of shoes or thru our own lenses. He had stated that it seemed the Chattanooga Officiating treated them unfairly and created an unlevel playing field. He didn't say it was a fact, he simply said it felt that way. In no way was he being negative during our conversation. I then in return said that for the outsiders it seemed the same way for us. This was our 2nd trip to the duals and each year we have had wrestle Clarksville to advance. Each year we have wrestled them on their mat and in front of their fans. It could be perceived that is an unfair advantage. Have they ever wrestled on one of the far mats, (I don't know). However, in that conversation I told him that I have never complained about those circumstances. The circles on each mat are the same and the time of the match is still 6 minutes. I have joked with Artie about it but that's just the way it is and I accepted that fact. As we finished our converstation and Coach Jordans athletes were moving mats I even stated that I would not want to host the duals. It is a headache that takes you away from your team and right now I don't have a go getter like Artie to make it all work. Artie has helped me out even this year running a tournament and the people of Clarksville are great hosts. I just believe the resposibility should lie on the state and not an individual school. If the state admits they can't do it and the only way to continue is for somone to volunteer then so be it. Maybe Artie Manning just needs to become the official tournament director for the state duals no matter where is it held. If he is willing then Cleveland might be willing to host.

Last I want to say that we are all adults. I personally believe Coach Jordan is a great coach. Everytime I have wrestled his teams I age because they believe in what they do and they are tough as nails. Artie Manning has become a great friend as well over the last few years. As I try to look at this whole situation from their shoes I see their frustrations and how they feel underappreciated. I am sincerely sorry if that is what I conveyed. Anytime people move mats, get table workers, and run a tournament I appreciate it. We all know it's a royal pain.

We have 9 days of wrestling left. The past week has been good for me to reflect on why I really coach. Each circumstance in our life allows us to examine why we do things. Hopefully, it is to impact young men in a way that will change their life. Although I may get shredded on this board by the faithful coach t posters I will not be back to defend myself.

Pressing On,

Coach Eslinger