TSSAA OFFICIALS

BEARCLAW

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best solution is for the 2 experienced officials to over ride a bad call by the bad third. dont use the excuse that's not my call. MAke the correct call.

Thank You! Exactly what needs to happen. We all have to police our careers to some extent, and why not override an obvious bad call. Sure would help the learning experience for all. Probably isn't a workable solution to all this, but I don't believe any will beat yours! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Let's see if I understand what you are saying. You think we should keep three officials on the court, but make sure they are all veteran officials with lots of experience, so there is no question about the quality of the officiating. Then we should take all these "third legs" and throw them out of the association, or at least not let them work high school ball. Is that correct?

Let me ask you this. What happens in five years, or ten years when all these veteran officials decide to retire, and all we have left are these "third legs" who have no experience on a high school court? Do you think that would make the officiating better, or worse?

How about cutting these newer, younger officials a break? They are learning. They are getting experience. They might make some bad calls, or miss some calls, but I guarantee you that at half time, or after the game, the veteran officials they are working with are talking about it. They are teaching them things they could have done on specific plays. They are teaching them game management. The whole ride home from the game, they are talking about missed calls. These young guys don't need you beating them up. They are beating themselves up enough already. They are learning. These guys will be the veteran officials eventually that will be training the new "third legs" that you so often refer too.

Officiating is a brutal, unappreciated, underpaying job. If you think any of these guys are out doing it for the money, or the glory, or to flirt with the ladies in the crowd, I would say you are 99% wrong. And trust me, the 1% who are never make it more than a couple of seasons. So, to all the "third legs" who see this thread title and read the original post, don't worry. We have faith in you and your ability. Otherwise, you wouldn't be out there gaining the experience that you will need for the duration of your officiating career. Apparently, you would be working Upward basketball instead.

Most people don't know this but all it takes to be a TSSAA official is 55$ and an OPEN BOOK TEST!!!!!! Abracadabra you are a TSSAA official! Some of these clowns need to attend a coaching clinic to see how the game is played before they step on the floor and start making calls!!! Some of these guys are making calls and don't even know if they made the right call or the more experienced official has to come over and have a conference with the guy to find out what happened. i think thats the point he was tryin to make.

Most people don't know this but all it takes to be a TSSAA official is 55$ and an OPEN BOOK TEST!!!!!! Abracadabra you are a TSSAA official! Some of these clowns need to attend a coaching clinic to see how the game is played before they step on the floor and start making calls!!! Some of these guys are making calls and don't even know if they made the right call or the more experienced official has to come over and have a conference with the guy to find out what happened. i think thats the point he was tryin to make.

$55 and an OPEN BOOK TEST. PLEASE. Sure, you too can REGISTER to become a TSSAA official for $55 and the successful taking of an open book test. It's not like it stops there though. Dues to the local association you join, mandatory attendance of state rules meeting yearly and attendance of a minimum of 5 local association meetings. What you fail to see farmer is the fact that most officials suffer before they get to the varsity level. Two years MINIMUM of leaving work early, traveling long distances to officiate one, maybe two junior varsity games or middle school games. Then there's the $175.00 required to attend a TSSAA sanctioned officials camp at least every three years to be eligible to work post season. The time away from their families for minimal pay. All these things are very rewarding. NOT!!!!!!!!!! Let me not forget all the AAU tournaments and games during the summer...more time away from families. All this to get to work varsity high school basketball (and some new officials never get to work varsity games)...I would venture to say that MOST officials try to learn the game and officiate to the best of their ability. Realize I did say MOST. There are those out there who are what you guys describe. Just like there are bad police officers, bad salesmen, bad doctors, bad lawyers and bad accountants. Just like the careers I described above, officials are held to a standard. They're supposed to go out there, listen to all the crap they put up with, officiate basketball and all of this for the great pay of $80.00 for two varsity games. That may cover gas and help out a little at Christmas, but let's be realistic. In closing, let me say that I truly believe that most officials try to their best of their ability to officiate effectively and allow the kids to dictate the outcome within the rules of the game. Let's give them a break and realize there is a learning curve with newer officials. They are trying. And yes, I am an 11 year official of varsity HS basketball just throwing in my two cents. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

$55 and an OPEN BOOK TEST. PLEASE. Sure, you too can REGISTER to become a TSSAA official for $55 and the successful taking of an open book test. It's not like it stops there though. Dues to the local association you join, mandatory attendance of state rules meeting yearly and attendance of a minimum of 5 local association meetings. What you fail to see farmer is the fact that most officials suffer before they get to the varsity level. Two years MINIMUM of leaving work early, traveling long distances to officiate one, maybe two junior varsity games or middle school games. Then there's the $175.00 required to attend a TSSAA sanctioned officials camp at least every three years to be eligible to work post season. The time away from their families for minimal pay. All these things are very rewarding. NOT!!!!!!!!!! Let me not forget all the AAU tournaments and games during the summer...more time away from families. All this to get to work varsity high school basketball (and some new officials never get to work varsity games)...I would venture to say that MOST officials try to learn the game and officiate to the best of their ability. Realize I did say MOST. There are those out there who are what you guys describe. Just like there are bad police officers, bad salesmen, bad doctors, bad lawyers and bad accountants. Just like the careers I described above, officials are held to a standard. They're supposed to go out there, listen to all the crap they put up with, officiate basketball and all of this for the great pay of $80.00 for two varsity games. That may cover gas and help out a little at Christmas, but let's be realistic. In closing, let me say that I truly believe that most officials try to their best of their ability to officiate effectively and allow the kids to dictate the outcome within the rules of the game. Let's give them a break and realize there is a learning curve with newer officials. They are trying. And yes, I am an 11 year official of varsity HS basketball just throwing in my two cents. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

the pay for 2 varsity games is $90. officiating in 7AAA is absolutely rediculous. i dont know if its because the league is blessed with gifted athletes and the officials just arent used to seeing athletic plays or what, but they are terrible. for example, we have a play in which a kid is about to go up for a dunk and a player from another team grabs his waist to keep him from dunking. that would be an intentional foul. not only was an intention foul not called, no foul was called at all!!!! how rediculous is that??

the pay for 2 varsity games is $90. officiating in 7AAA is absolutely rediculous. i dont know if its because the league is blessed with gifted athletes and the officials just arent used to seeing athletic plays or what, but they are terrible. for example, we have a play in which a kid is about to go up for a dunk and a player from another team grabs his waist to keep him from dunking. that would be an intentional foul. not only was an intention foul not called, no foul was called at all!!!! how rediculous is that??

$80.00, where I come from.....and you get a T for bad spelling.... /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

There seems to be a lot of new refs in the Chattanooga area this year. I talked with a ref after a JV who was disappointed in his performance, I cut him some slack due to his inexperience and we laughed about a couple of calls and one player's reaction in particular. Those guys aren't the problem as a I see it. Most of the bad calls and no-calls I've seen this year have been by refs I've seen out there for numerous games so I can't cut them much slack. This has been from the first game of the season (a terrible ejection ruling which was overturned by the TSSAA) to the one last night (three times on one possession you could hear the defender's hand smack the shooters' arms, no foul on any), and both were easy wins so I'm not blaming refs for losses. Actually most of the poor officiating has been during wins, when the refs seem to put their whistles in their pockets due to the outcome no longer being in doubt. That aggravates me as much as anything on the court.

There seems to be a lot of new refs in the Chattanooga area this year. I talked with a ref after a JV who was disappointed in his performance, I cut him some slack due to his inexperience and we laughed about a couple of calls and one player's reaction in particular. Those guys aren't the problem as a I see it. Most of the bad calls and no-calls I've seen this year have been by refs I've seen out there for numerous games so I can't cut them much slack. This has been from the first game of the season (a terrible ejection ruling which was overturned by the TSSAA) to the one last night (three times on one possession you could hear the defender's hand smack the shooters' arms, no foul on any), and both were easy wins so I'm not blaming refs for losses. Actually most of the poor officiating has been during wins, when the refs seem to put their whistles in their pockets due to the outcome no longer being in doubt. That aggravates me as much as anything on the court.

The kids have to be held accountable for their actions on the court and so should the refs, especially the lazy out to make a quick easy buck refs like chattanooga has. In any job whether it is a second or part time job ,should be done seriously. My boys have dedicated their whole lives to the game and have had unbelievable outcomes in some games because of the officiating. Its not fair to the kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best solution is for the 2 experienced officials to over ride a bad call by the bad third. dont use the excuse that's not my call. MAke the correct call.

Two experienced officials would never be watching the area covered by the third guy. They would have no idea what was going on where the foul was called, or not called, because they would be too busy watching their own area. Sorry to shoot down your theory.

You don't have three guys out there watching the ball for 32 minutes. You have three guys watching their area of responsibility. Its almost funny how everyone who complains about officiating actually knows very little about it.