McBee

ernieg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have seen him play a few times this year, but Bruce Pearl has been to 2 games (Grainger/Union Co. and Grainger/Carter). I overheard his mom talking to some people last night and she said that they have not offered him anything yet, but that Skylar really hopes they do. I'm like you I don't know what else Skylar can do to show Bruce that he should get him at UT. I've heard that UT is where Skylar really wants to go, and being from around here I would like to see the Vols get a hometown boy. Because like you said he can flat out play and dropping 44 points on anyone should prove that hands down.

That's 100% correct. Skylar really wants to go to UT, but he's holding on until the late period is over because they've not offered him yet. If they had he would've already jumped on it. His other option is to be a preferred walk-on, which in my opinion is a slap in the face because several other schools (Wake included) are still looking at him right now. He's getting a lot more pub lately and games like this one, the one where he torched Harlan County for 39 and the Union County game a couple of weeks ago are making it increasingly interesting. Wake's coaches have told him to shoot it more, which is a good idea, but he's counted on for passing and rebounding along with scoring 25-plus a night.

Skylar would have to improve his defense & become more physical, maybe add a little more muscle also to be able to play at Wake or Tennessee. The kid can flat out play though no question about that.

Take a look at him a little more closely. The kid has been working out like crazy since his freshman year. He was an option quarterback as well so he's taken a lot of punishment. He's plenty tough.

You guys are going to tell me that he is big enough & physical enough right now to play everyday in the SEC or ACC!?! Lol thats funny. No he isnt. The college game is way different than high school. Thats the only thing he needs to work on just get bigger & more physical.

Yes the college game is different, but the physical part is the easier thing to overcome if you are already physical like Skylar. The biggest change to College is the pace of play. That will be his biggest challenge. And to answer your question he can play in the SEC or ACC right now. Does that mean UNC or Duke? no, but he can fit in at a lower tier team of one of those conferences and be ready.

You guys are going to tell me that he is big enough & physical enough right now to play everyday in the SEC or ACC!?! Lol thats funny. No he isnt. The college game is way different than high school. Thats the only thing he needs to work on just get bigger & more physical.

Skylar McBee 6'2 165(+/-)

Nolan Smith(Duke starting PG) 6'2 185

Bobby Maze(UT starting PG) 6'2 185

Jeff Teague(Wake starting PG) 6'2 180

Now if Skylar played football, then I am sure he is physical enough. And with a good weight program he will easily gain the weight and extra strength that he needs to play at the top D1 level.

I don't know where the heights and weights come from. Skylar is closer to 6'3" and weighs 190 lbs.

He is the most unselfish player I have seen in a while...plus, he has the pressure of Doug sitting there too ..that was a shot at his dad..just kidding, Doug.....he does just enough to try and get everyone involved, even though Grainger does not have strong post play...and he is super quick.....The one system change Bruce needs to change to, is to have Skylar knock the three down to free up TN's inside fowards....Where ever he winds up, any school will be lucky to get him....Great kid, great siblings, and great parents...

Yes the college game is different, but the physical part is the easier thing to overcome if you are already physical like Skylar. The biggest change to College is the pace of play. That will be his biggest challenge. And to answer your question he can play in the SEC or ACC right now. Does that mean UNC or Duke? no, but he can fit in at a lower tier team of one of those conferences and be ready.

Bruce Pearl doesnt think the easiest thing to overcome is the physical part. I was listening to one of his interviews the other day & he was talking about the hardest thing for Scotty Hopson to overcome was the physical part. He said the another year in the college weight training & Scotty would be ready to tear up the league.

Skylar McBee 6'2 165(+/-)

Nolan Smith(Duke starting PG) 6'2 185

Bobby Maze(UT starting PG) 6'2 185

Jeff Teague(Wake starting PG) 6'2 180

Now if Skylar played football, then I am sure he is physical enough. And with a good weight program he will easily gain the weight and extra strength that he needs to play at the top D1 level.

Just because Skylar played football doesnt mean he can be physical enough in college basketball. & yes your right a year in a college weight program would def get him ready.

Skylar would have to improve his defense & become more physical, maybe add a little more muscle also to be able to play at Wake or Tennessee. The kid can flat out play though no question about that.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> More physical and more muscle? Improve his defense? It's a shame you've not watched him play all season. There isn't a more physical player in the district, and he is as strong as any on the court. To score as many points as he does, and make as many assists as he does with 2, 3, and sometimes 4 players on him at once.......I would say he has all the muscle he needs to get the job done. He can "flat out play" as you have stated, but the defense and physical aspects are there. In my opinion, Pearl is saving his scholarship for a player who doesn't have the resources McBee has....hoping McBee will walk on and not cost him anything. Trouble is, it may cost him more if McBee goes to Wake. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Very few freshmen are able to step in at the guard position and adjust to the physicality of college basketball. I've coached in the Rocky Top League for the past 2 years and can tell you that both Cameron Tatum and Scotty Hopson were no where near ready from a strength standpoint. The advantage they have over Skylar is 3-4" in size and a better vertical. They may be a little quicker but Skylar has played against some of the top players in the country in AAU and scored well there too.

I would bet that Skylar has spent far more time in the weight room than either of those two. Just playing football doesn't ensure toughness but as an All-State football player as an Athlete means something.