Pioneers' Tidwell suspended for halftime incident.

kellraiser

Posted by ladytigerfan:

For all you coaches and others who keep complaining about the fans and the parents and how hard they make your job, don't forget that when they quit showing up, the school no longer needs you on the payroll.

..Which further validates any point a coach may make about his/her job being stressful due to fans and parents...

--Kemple

Go 'Kees

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by coacht:
Posted by ladytigerfan:

For all you coaches and others who keep complaining about the fans and the parents and how hard they make your job, don't forget that when they quit showing up, the school no longer needs you on the payroll.

I think coaches will agree with that as long as the fans and parents realize that there is a reason that the coaches are the ones on the payroll.

[Edited by coacht on 9-2-02 10:31P]

NICE! :)

Getting back to the subject of this thread, I think there have been some very good arguments on both sides. It would seem to me, though, that it is time to let the school, the player, and his parents handle this issue as they see fit. They have a season to play and, although this incident should not be forgotten by any means, it is time for everyone who cares about this program to pull things back together and move on.

The only problem that I have is that there is a different set of rules for coaches and teachers. My question is what happens if an English teacher just can't get her students to be quiet and suddenly has an epiphany and tries to throw a stapler at the wall to get them to be quiet. But "holds on to it too long" and hits the guy in the back row sending him to the hospital for 10 stitches. For all of you trying to figure out what would happen let me share with you. First, there would be a huge lawsuit because that is what people do these days and second, that teacher would never teach again. But being this is a coach, let me slap you on the wrist and tell you not to do it again or at least not let it hit anyone next time. This is what I have a problem with. Teachers and coaches are all under the same school system and all should have to follow the same guidelines.

Posted by Rukidnme:

The only problem that I have is that there is a different set of rules for coaches and teachers. My question is what happens if an English teacher just can't get her students to be quiet and suddenly has an epiphany and tries to throw a stapler at the wall to get them to be quiet. But "holds on to it too long" and hits the guy in the back row sending him to the hospital for 10 stitches. For all of you trying to figure out what would happen let me share with you. First, there would be a huge lawsuit because that is what people do these days and second, that teacher would never teach again. But being this is a coach, let me slap you on the wrist and tell you not to do it again or at least not let it hit anyone next time. This is what I have a problem with. Teachers and coaches are all under the same school system and all should have to follow the same guidelines.

Now that post deserves a good mark! First because you made a very good point on the whole matter which I doubt anyone can come up with a reasonable rebuttal for and also for the excellent use of the word epiphany. :o

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:
Posted by Rukidnme:

Now that post deserves a good mark! First because you made a very good point on the whole matter which I doubt anyone can come up with a reasonable rebuttal for and also for the excellent use of the word epiphany. :o

Remember Their are two rules here coaches and teachers. Whether it is right or wrong I am not the one to say. Teachers are graded on how kids do in their studies and on what evaluation from their principle. As for coaches they are hired to win ballgames then teach. They are graded on wins and loses on the feild. Yes their are two different sets of rules because we now have some coaches who don't even teach. So you do have to seperate them. Trust me when I say I was a good student when I was in school but I was also hit with an eraser in the head for not paying attention to the teacher, should he have been fired no, granted it was not a football helmnet and did not hurt like one but same principle. So what I am trying to say let the athletic departments take care of athletics, the principle take care of the teachers, and the school boards take care of the principles. We as parents can either go to the board if we don't like the punishment or vote them out. The punishment fits the crime It was an accident and leave it at that and let everyone get on to heeling and it will make the kids better people and the coach a better man. Let this subject go and let everyone get on with their life.

Just when I thought WC football had reached the bottom, Tidwell reaches out and drags us down even more. Several have stated this was an accident, I don't doubt that. But, the fact of the matter is this should have never happened Period! Tidwell is responsible for those kids, and should be held accountable for his actions. A one week suspension is a joke. What kind of message does this send in our "zero tolerance" society?

I read that Tidwell called the kids gutless during his halftime tirade. These kids are not gutless, they are making the effort to try to turn this thing around. The gutless thing to do would be to quit or not come out for the team because they are not winning. To only have 40 kids out for football in school of 2000 kids is pathetic. The only gutless people I see are the school administrators.

These are the same heartless kid that have never had a winning season even back to middle school. Is this the kids fault or the coaches. I wish I would have had a coach that that at least tried to fire us up. All coaches back then were only thinking how fast they could get out of town. Maybe in 3-4 years this coach will teach these kids that they can win. I hear the Middle school has put 6-7 wins in a row. I think that what the standard said. So maybe when these kids get to high school they won`t be heartless. Get off the coaches back. You can`t win with gutless players or gutless coaches like warren co. has had. Tidwell has guts!!!

As for the gutless comments..most of us who have ever played HS football have been called less-than-flattering names by coaches as a means of motivation. I've heard worse adjectives used in the locker room. Hopefully the players are able to move on and put this behind them. That seems to be what's happening. Certainly no one will forget what happened, but it doesn't have to drag the program down. The coach has learned a hard lesson. The administration has made its decision. Like it or not, no amount of griping on this board will change it. GO PIONEERS!!

Realizing this is the 'net and all things read here aren't the gospel, the thing I find most interesting is the method of notification for the player's parents. Can anyone shed more light on how this went down. You'd think they'd be notified immediately and that the coach would accompany the kid to the hospital.

All I`m saying is the reason these kids are the way they are is because of all the GUTLESS coaches they have had from pee wee thur high school, middle school included. The former coaches never could toughen up these kids and it shows. Leave this coach alone and in 3-4 years warren co. might be tough agian.