Wrestlers to wear wristbands @ State

shootfirst

Is it just me or is this not the dumbest thing ever? As important as the wrist and wrist control is in wrestling to have some silly paper wrist band being required to be worn by all wrestlers even during matchs is stupid and unsafe (watchout for broken fingers this year).Lets add this to the list of terrable decisions by TSSAA or UTC to require this!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read the information sheet as well and I am willing to bet that this will not stand. The coaches will complain and have this decision reversed. I am unaware of any other state that does something as ridiculous as this. The last thing the wrestlers need is something like this to increase the potential for injury. This is just like adding another piece of required equipment to any other sport. It is ridiculous!

Is it just me or is this not the dumbest thing ever? As important as the wrist and wrist control is in wrestling to have some silly paper wrist band being required to be worn by all wrestlers even during matchs is stupid and unsafe (watchout for broken fingers this year).Lets add this to the list of terrable decisions by TSSAA or UTC to require this!

Some natonal tournaments require this as well. I guess sometimes just the X on the hand cant do. I dont either agree or disagree with this but it sure is new

sounds good, but wont that hurt?

I usually just read the blogs and mentally digest them, but the micro chip in the neck made me laugh out loud. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> I understand schools needing to "police the area," but agree that wrist bands could be potentially dangerous. As a coach of a couple of sports, I can't allow the wearing of any jewelry....isn't a wrist band like a bracelet? The officials always tell the captains (my captains) to check for jewelry. Now, I am certainly not a wrestling coach, just a fan, so I don't know what the officials are saying to the captains when they meet in the middle, but anything worn by a wrestler, besides the necessary equipment, could be potentially dangerous. They don't let the kids wrestle with long fingernails or chin stubble (dealt with that this season!), so why a bracelet that would need to be taped?

I hope this decision is reversed and that all participants in the upcoming tournament are identified in some other fashion. In addition, I hope all participants can compete without injury, and my thoughts and prayers to those who worked so hard all season and, for whatever reason, can't make it to Chatt town.

Wrestling is a real man's sport, and I think all participants are champions in their own right.