Wrestlers to wear wristbands @ State

shootfirst

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read the information sheet as well and I am willing to bet that this will not stand. The coaches will complain and have this decision reversed. I am unaware of any other state that does something as ridiculous as this. The last thing the wrestlers need is something like this to increase the potential for injury. This is just like adding another piece of required equipment to any other sport. It is ridiculous!

House -

I've been to dozens of National Level tournaments including the Senior, Junior, Soph. and Freshman Nationals, the Brute-Adidas Nationals, the NHSCA Open and the Super 32. All of these events require wristbands on wrestlers. In the thousands of matches I've seen with wrestlers wearing wristbands, I don't recall a single incident of injury.

BB

House -

I've been to dozens of National Level tournaments including the Senior, Junior, Soph. and Freshman Nationals, the Brute-Adidas Nationals, the NHSCA Open and the Super 32. All of these events require wristbands on wrestlers. In the thousands of matches I've seen with wrestlers wearing wristbands, I don't recall a single incident of injury.

BB

BB,

Thanks for the information it helps understand where this is coming from. It would make some sense because I haven't been to an NHSCA event in a few years. I tend to travel with the kids more than the high school and it is usually easier for us to head West or North than it is to head to the east coast where most of the NHSCA events seem to be held the last few years. Being on the east side of the state trims about 5 or so hours off of that trip as opposed to us. They usually run a quality event just never as convenient for us.

I do still question this decision. I question the safety as well as the necessity. I see potential for injury during a match along with potential worries with the wrestlers needing to keep up with them. It does ease me a little that you haven't seen anyone injured due to the fact that they are wearing them but I don't think there is enough need for them that it is even worth the minuscule risk. I just don't see there being a need for these during the TSSAA event. There are so many other things they could be seeking to improve upon versus instituting wristbands.

I have worn them as a coach at many, many national and local tournaments and it does bring one question to mind. The information states that there will be some extra wristbands in the coaches' packets but will there be enough for each kid to replace his wristband each day? Many of these kids will be wrestling over a three day time period and that is a bit long to need to wear the same paper wristband. I don't like having to keep it on me overnight at many tournament because it gets sweaty and nasty throughout the day and then they tend to get weaker after showers. I hope that the TSSAA will supply enough that each wrestler is able to get a fresh wristband each day.

I would have much less of a problem if they were using ankle bands as mentioned in a previous post. The wrestlers already wear an ankle band when they compete and this wouldn't be something new for them to adjust to. I just do not see the necessity of this addition at this point in the season. I wonder what it is that caused the TSSAA to make this change. Certainly the wrestlers and coaches were mostly capable of keeping up with the cards they were issued in the past for entrance. Those were much less obtrusive than a wristband that must be worn during competition. I guess that is my major hang up... why is this necessary? I just can not rationalize where the need for this came from. I think the TSSAA has their eyes on the wrong target here.

Just watched a match from last years Super 32, Robert Dyar (AL) vs Devin Carter (VA) on Flowrestling.

They both were wearing wristbands during the match and finished with all fingers attached.

So, let me see ................ so far the only good thing about the State Tournament is the Ice Cream. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Just watched a match from last years Super 32, Robert Dyar (AL) vs Devin Carter (VA) on Flowrestling.

They both were wearing wristbands during the match and finished with all fingers attached.

So, let me see ................ so far the only good thing about the State Tournament is the Ice Cream. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

ditto, that ice cream is very, VERY good.

and I would not want to wrestle with a wristband on my wrist.

Could the TSSAA make it a rubber "live strong" bracelet that can be removed during matches or a lanyard with a pass on it like the coaches wear?

that doesn't sound too bad. I could see that working.

the main problem is if the TSSAA is going to use those cheap paper wristbands. and they are probably cheap enough to do just that.

Could the TSSAA make it a rubber "live strong" bracelet that can be removed during matches or a lanyard with a pass on it like the coaches wear?

[/quo

Here we are having a debate about a wristband that was apparently heretofor not necessary, now all of a sudden it is. We are gonna regulate ourselves and protect ourselves all the way into the fetal position. What forward-thinking executive came up with this (read: peter principle clown), at this point in time? Wrestle, for goodness sakes, let the TSSAA take whatever cut they want, do their jobs, quit this piddly interfering. It is close to being insulting...this is the way alot of decisions are made ('that's the way Iowa does it...no, I'm not sure why, but we need to do it, too"). What the heck? And don't put any more thought into the extra security officers for "food smugglers", or for the crappy food that is offered. Message to Ronnie, now in his lame duck session (and a friend of mine dating to 1970), and the TSSAA officials, put some thought into doing something for the wrestlers and the fans, it isn't that difficult, and communicate once in awhile your constructive thoughts. Jeez!