How does 5A look this year?

catchandthrow

SBA did have a lot coming back, but their starting catcher (who was their best player by far) quit a couple of days before the season started b/c he is transferring to McCallie. A short time before that their head coach was fired, and that situation caused some issues on the team (which is understandable). The current coaches were probably not prepared for what was going to be thrown at them and have struggled to find someone who can catch a high school game consistently. Just in the last couple of weeks though they have started putting it together. They beat an ok CSAS team last week, and last night had Copper beat but blew it in the last inning 9-8. Pitching consistency has been an issue as they still have a good number of young arms and no one on staff who really knows how to work with a pitcher. However, they have been hitting pretty well and could pull some upsets in the tournaments. It should be interesting to see what happens as it appears they are peaking at the right time.

'govols', what do you think about the SBA & GBA games next week? Who do you think will come out on top? Do you think it will come down to pitching?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'govols', what do you think about the SBA & GBA games next week? Who do you think will come out on top? Do you think it will come down to pitching?

The only thing it will come down to is which team comes to play. If Grace comes to play their game SD doesn't match up to them. But its been proven that anyone can beat Grace if they don't come to play. If they play their game then Grace will be fine.

No, I think Grace's pitching is much deeper and more consistent than SBA. I think Grace is also a little better hitting team as they have played a much harder schedule than SBA so they have seen much better pitching and have still swung the bats pretty well. I think the game will be decided with the glove. Whichever team makes the plays will win. Grace has been pretty sound defensively whereas SBA has struggled at times. Over the last few years Grace has been significantly better than SBA and I don't expect that to change any time soon. Grace has good coaching, skilled players and lots of depth for the future.

No, I think Grace's pitching is much deeper and more consistent than SBA. I think Grace is also a little better hitting team as they have played a much harder schedule than SBA so they have seen much better pitching and have still swung the bats pretty well. I think the game will be decided with the glove. Whichever team makes the plays will win. Grace has been pretty sound defensively whereas SBA has struggled at times. Over the last few years Grace has been significantly better than SBA and I don't expect that to change any time soon. Grace has good coaching, skilled players and lots of depth for the future.

All I know is that Grace better be on their game. They have been playing well and need to keep up the same. I think you are correct in your assesment. Grace has to play well from here on out and they will go far!

Grace wins both without a problem..

"govols".. the young looking coach got fired? Wow! He seemed like a great guy from what I saw. He must of known what he was going to make SD look good last year and this year SD is struggling. Oh well SD vs. Grace should be a great game and will determine if Grace will get the number 1 seed or not! Good Luck to Both!

Grace wins both without a problem..

"govols".. the young looking coach got fired? Wow! He seemed like a great guy from what I saw. He must of known what he was going to make SD look good last year and this year SD is struggling. Oh well SD vs. Grace should be a great game and will determine if Grace will get the number 1 seed or not! Good Luck to Both!

[

Grace won big last night 11-1. Silverdale's season may be over. They lost 4 players to academics and have a few nagging injuries that are catching up to them. They only had 13 or 14 kids even dressed last night. The academic losses really hurt as it shuffled everyone on the team defensively and took some pop out of their lineup. Not real sure what Silverdale's coaches were thinking bringing Morrow in. Now they have no one legitimate left to throw today.

Grace won big last night 11-1. Silverdale's season may be over. They lost 4 players to academics and have a few nagging injuries that are catching up to them. They only had 13 or 14 kids even dressed last night. The academic losses really hurt as it shuffled everyone on the team defensively and took some pop out of their lineup. Not real sure what Silverdale's coaches were thinking bringing Morrow in. Now they have no one legitimate left to throw today.

I think that Grace's pitcher took the "pop" out of their lineup....Alec Rose looked great....10 k's! Now about tonights lose to Silverdale. I think that tonights game was the worse that Grace has looked all year. Honestly, 6 errors in the first inning alone. And, by the way, whoever was keeping the scoreboard must also send their stats to the newspaper. Congrats to Silverdale!

I think that Grace's pitcher took the "pop" out of their lineup....Alec Rose looked great....10 k's! Now about tonights lose to Silverdale. I think that tonights game was the worse that Grace has looked all year. Honestly, 6 errors in the first inning alone. And, by the way, whoever was keeping the scoreboard must also send their stats to the newspaper. Congrats to Silverdale!

[/quote

Grace has a lot of young talent, but also apparently a lot of inconsistency. The pitching was not bad, but you have to make the routine plays behind them. Alec did look great Monday, but it also helped that 2 of 3 top hitters were not in the lineup.

[/quote

Grace has a lot of young talent, but also apparently a lot of inconsistency. The pitching was not bad, but you have to make the routine plays behind them. Alec did look great Monday, but it also helped that 2 of 3 top hitters were not in the lineup.

OK, with that reasoning then I guess their losses to David Brainerd 12-1 & 12-2, Copper Basin 12-4, S. Pitt 14-4 & 6-1 were all due to the fact that their top 3 hitters were not present! "govols" or should I say "RP" why are you of all people making excuses for Silverdale? Grace does have alot of young talent, they have been playing inconsistently but the fact that some baffling decisions by the coach does not help in the least.....and then turning around and blaming the players is inexcusable.

I agree 'catchandthrow', A coach has to know that putting in an inexperienced freshman pitcher (who had just thrown 89 pitches in a game 3 days prior) against a team that we need to beat is not really a smart idea. Letting a team score 7 runs on you with only 1 out in the 1st inning before pulling him is baffling to say the least! The pitcher did absolutely nothing wrong and I think he will be a fine high school pitcher w/ a little more experience. It was just batting practice for them....taking nothing away from Silverdale because they did do a great job. Well anyway, I hope that Grace can pull it together and win district...I'm pulling for you guys!