White/Ofori Match

hawksfan

"but in this case the ref blew it badly. I was sitting in the nose bleed and had a good view."

r u kidding????? nose bleed and the ref is less than 10 - 15 feet away /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

good call superman /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got this e-mail today.

www.jonesstreamcasting is offering you as a user the match at the state tournament, where Cleveland Senior Max Ofori (46-1) Vs Nick White of Cookeville. This is the first time in the history of TSSAA that a wrestler has won the state championship WITHOUT scoring a single point. Thanks to Nashville Referee Tim Abel, that is exactly what happened! Coaches, fans, other referees were shocked at State championship was decided like this.

There were 4 penalty points awarded to Cookeville and 1 to Cleveland before the final disqualification. Ofori scores a 2nd period escape for the only score of the match.

BEFORE YOU WATCH you must know some things about Max Ofori. He is a 4.0 student considering Harvard, West Point, American University and other Ivy league schools. He is such a FAST study that this is only his 2nd year wrestling and he was 46-1... and in the state championship finals. He was the leader in the Chattanooga times area take downs listing by more than 20 ahead of the next guy, the only 215 pounder to lead that we know of. He has used the "tap and go" and attack the head his whole two years with out a single penalty. This was his 47th match this year doing this! He beat Nick White by major the first time and decision the 2nd time. Max is a very bright guy, he "gets it." You do not have to warn him 4 times! In this case, he didn't have a clue what referee Tim Abel was seeing. We understand that maybe Nick White had a cauliflower ear and loosened his head gear kind of like a football player having a "tear away jersey." BUT, you don't see the head gear move. Most of you have seen headgear come off or be twisted many times without penalty. THIS SEEMS TO BE A CLEAR CASE OF ONE REFEREE INTERPRETING THE RULES DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHER 47 REFEREES that called his matches this year.

Nick White did a great job and expressed his concern to Max Ofori. He is a great wrestler but Nick White will bear the cross of referee Tim Abel's judgment that taints his championship. That is a cross, we at Jonesstreamcasting hope no wrestlers should have to bear in the future.

see: www.jonesstreamcasting.com click on " controversial state championship match Ofori 215lbs or

at youtube

I'm not a Cleveland fan either. Actually just the opposite but in this case the ref blew it badly. I was sitting in the nose bleed and had a good view. For as long as I have been involved in wrestling, front head locks have been legal. Ofori went for it several times and White pulled out which moved his head gear. Maybe it was loose, I don't know but I actually thought the second ref disagreed once when the main ref was on Ofori's elbow side and could not see his hand. The last call, Ofori did rake the top stap on the head gear but didn't move the head with it.

Oxymoronic?

WOW! I have never seen anything like that. Usually one wrestler's headgear is completely pulled off before even a verbal warning is issued. Also the locked hands call on the Cookeville wrestler was pretty nit-picky. To an outside observer, it seems like the referee was overly critical on the quasi-trivial aspects of the match.

Not true StarRaider...lots of us mean old hated and detested BC fans want the locals to win. Unless of coarse they are wrestling us.

True... well not the mean old hated and detested part, but the part about pulling for the locals. Same here, with a wider range of locals 'cause I tend to pull for a bunch of these guys.

Well I watched it and the first tech violation did look like he pulled the headgear, the third one it looked like the assistant ref called it, but the second one and the last one I don't know what happened there, even replaying it over and over.... may have been a bad camera angle but I think Max got hosed.

thats a shame...after watchin that video i saw nothing that warranted even one point...typically that has to be a blatant obvious attempt to grasp the headgear.....at best that was incidental.......what a shame for both guys....

You should have heard the crowd's reaction to the call......not pleased at all.

The sad thing is that both wrestlers were wrestling a good match. Both being offensive and both were contesting each shot and snap. It is a shame that they were not able to decide themselves the outcome of the 215 finals.

Nick White and Max Ofori are both good wrestlers and it bothers me that Nicks title is surrounded with controversy, and it bothers me Max wasn't given the chance to wrestle to win the match. Refs have to make close calls all the time, many judgement calls, but to call something 4 times (not once during any of these 4 calls did he explain anything to Max nor did he explain to Nick the locked hands call) is unfair to these KIDS. Hopefully we will never see this again. We must all remember.......ITS ABOUT THE WRESTLERS!

First I would like to state that Tim Able is one of the best officials. He is verbal to both wrestlers making them aware of the situation ( warning ). Letting them know they need to work before stalling is called. He is not afraid to make the correct call regardless of situation. All refs make mistakes. These calls were not mistakes. If any official should be blamed it would be the officials that didn't make similar calls against Ofori throughout the season.

He has constantly forced opponents out of bounds, grabbed headgear, and has had hands to the face. Had this been brought to his attention and the coaches noticed this could have been avoided.

Sums it all up! Abel is one of best refs been reffing over 25 years! He makes the calls according to the rule book. Its stated plain and simple, black and white in the rule book. The other refs that let the little stuff slide throughout and that lets the wrestler think its ok and its not. He calls by the rules so dont get upset when a ref does his job!