Deonta Twilley ejected tonight

falconfan94

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shelbyville's Deonta Twilley was ejected tonight in a game vs. Lawrence County for throwing an elbow on a player who had just committed a foul against him. Twilley will now be suspended for two games...including the 8-AAA Championship and 1st round region game.

I think Twilley deserved a technical foul for throwing the elbow, but I thought ejecting him was too much! Any thoughts on this from those that saw it?

It is unthinkable that an official would eject a player at tournament time, in high school, for all except the most blatant activity. An elbow is way below the threshold of ejection. Officials ought to almost always get the benefit of the doubt but in this case, the decision by this referee, which he had time to change had he so desired, should disqualify him from ever officiating again. To potentially alter the outcome of three games plus, possibly, end the career of a high school senior is way beyond the pale of any sensibility.

I have not been on here for some time now, but this incident brought me out of the dark.

What is so upsetting here is the fact that Deonta will miss two very important games because of a " JUDGEMENT CALL." I was not there and have no opinion on if he intentional hit the LC guy or not. Basketball is all this kid has, just like many of the kids that play highschool basketball, but to see an arrogant call made by a so called official, that the state of Tennessee has qualified, has put a black-eye on what the real purpose is here.

We are in this together, and being a coach my number one priority is to get these kids an education after high school. Deonta will get over this and go on to play ball at the next level but my question is this. " When did it become such a game that in the heat of the battle emotions are not to take over? Knowing Tay, he plays the game fair and at 110% and that is what you expect out of a leader. put yourself in Tays shoes, he gives his heart sweat and tears for this game and maybe see his highschool career come to an end on a "JUDGEMENT CALL"

I hope you sleep well MR. TSSAA OFFICIAL. You make us all proud..

I agree.

It is unthinkable that an official would eject a player at tournament time, in high school, for all except the most blatant activity. An elbow is way below the threshold of ejection. Officials ought to almost always get the benefit of the doubt but in this case, the decision by this referee, which he had time to change had he so desired, should disqualify him from ever officiating again. To potentially alter the outcome of three games plus, possibly, end the career of a high school senior is way beyond the pale of any sensibility.

Believe it or not , same off crew ejected players in back to back games. A Tullahoma player on Friday night and Twilley on Saturday. Tullahoma player committed ahard foul on a layup, justifiably an intentional foul but was ejected and now must sit out first two games of his sr year.

Believe it or not , same off crew ejected players in back to back games. A Tullahoma player on Friday night and Twilley on Saturday. Tullahoma player committed ahard foul on a layup, justifiably an intentional foul but was ejected and now must sit out first two games of his sr year.

Did Shelbyville ever file an appeal? What happened? I know other ejections were appealed and were overturned.

Tape was not even looked at to my knowledge. Said they could not appeal a "judgement call"

According to a source that is very close to all the high school sport programs at Shelbyville it was reviewed and the coaches met with the TSSAA Monday morning after the Saturday night ejection.

You have got to remember that contact does not have to be made to consider it fighting. Fighting is a ejection in all sports. 90% of the time it is the one that responds that gets caught.

That's the point. This was not fighting! A Lawrence County player bear-hugged Twilley and he jerked his arms off of him with an unintentional elbow swing. It was a physical game, allowed by the officials, but this was far from fighting. An ejection was absolutely uncalled for in this situation and this official should be punished accordingly. This could have ended the career of a great high school basketball player. What a shame. Just goes to show you what a showboat official with an agenda can get done with a poor judgment call. He should be punished thoroughly.