Deonta Twilley ejected tonight

falconfan94

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is throwing a deliberate jab not an ejectable offense? Thought the game was very interesting in person.

It is an ejectable offense but in that case the LC player should of been ejected for bear hugging him and not letting go of him causing him to get him off of him. I am not defending what the PG did just think it was a quick decision by the ref that would have been handled with a technical by itself. The game was already getting out of hand earlier than that as well. Either way Shelbyville will have an uphill battle to make it to the regional semi- finals.

I know that Shelbyville is going to appeal the suspension. Do they ever overturn the appeal? I guess they will look at the tapes.

They can appeal, but from past experiences this probably will not be overturned as it was deemed in the official's jurisdiction that the elbow was flagrant and warranted a flagrant technical (which is what resulted in the ejection). You will never see TSSAA over-rule an official??™s jurisdiction.

You can debate all day the official in question, or the call in question, but it??™s not going to change anything. The ejection will go to the state office for review as do all ejections. If the TSSAA deems that the official had poor judgment, I??™m sure there will be some sort of reprimand. But again, it goes back to the TSSAA never questioning judgment calls, and as they say these judgment calls are made in good faith.

Was at the game as well. If this was a deliberate jab, why didn't the official call an intentional foul? LC player hugging Deonta was a foul and had been called, but the player lingered. Deonta's natural reaction was to get loose from the player. LC player then may or may not have been contacted. Some say yes, some say no. Point being- Deonta didn't go after this player to cause harm. Ejection is a joke. Technical foul may have been warranted but should have been on both players.

Its a shame that Deonta's senior season and high school career will end on this note. He has done a spectacular job at point for shelbyville these last 4 years. Shelbyville can still win their next two games, but it will be a lot tougher with Deonta sitting out and the real losers in this case are the fans not getting to see his amazing ball handling skills and spectacular assists.

It seems that teams playing Shelbyville for the last 3 weeks of the season are taking an aggressive approach. Columbia and Franklin County have played very good and come up short in games that could have gone either way. The rest of District 8AAA have played a very physical style that leads to out of control ballgames like we saw at Coffee County and this one Saturday night. I commend the effort and deisre of all the teams in district 8AAA but the coaches of the bottom tier of this district need to take a long hard look at their tactics. THAT includes the selecting of your ALL District team as well. Its a shame our students have to pay for the actions of jealous adults!

Was at the game as well. If this was a deliberate jab, why didn't the official call an intentional foul? LC player hugging Deonta was a foul and had been called, but the player lingered. Deonta's natural reaction was to get loose from the player. LC player then may or may not have been contacted. Some say yes, some say no. Point being- Deonta didn't go after this player to cause harm. Ejection is a joke. Technical foul may have been warranted but should have been on both players.

Its a shame that Deonta's senior season and high school career will end on this note. He has done a spectacular job at point for shelbyville these last 4 years. Shelbyville can still win their next two games, but it will be a lot tougher with Deonta sitting out and the real losers in this case are the fans not getting to see his amazing ball handling skills and spectacular assists.

If the player was being checked for a concussion, I think we can all agree he was hit. If Twilley purposely threw the elbow, he should have been ejected, just like throwing a fist.

I don't know about all the 'real losers' but I know the real winners are the TSSAA for not allowing such actions regardless of "amazing ball handling skills and spectacular assists"

Why is throwing a deliberate jab not an ejectable offense? Thought the game was very interesting in person.

A deliberate jab give me a break. If that had been the case, I know Deonta well enough he would have planted his fist right between the kids eyes. So lets be careful how we label the incident.

Keep your head up Tay and good luck Eagles.

If the player was being checked for a concussion, I think we can all agree he was hit. If Twilley purposely threw the elbow, he should have been ejected, just like throwing a fist.

I don't know about all the 'real losers' but I know the real winners are the TSSAA for not allowing such actions regardless of "amazing ball handling skills and spectacular assists"

If that player needed to be checked for a concussion why was he in the game in the 4th quarter???

The TSSAA does need to not allow deliberate fighting to take place. Did the LC player deliberately bear hug Deonta...or was that an unintentional?

This has nothing to do with the TSSAA. This official took his opportunity to retaliate against shelbyville. I'm sure he will be corrected by the TSSAA.

An Academy award should be handed out on that reaction by the LC player. Sort of like a punter faking when he gets brushed by an opposing player.

AND----- its hard for anyone that doesn't know Deonta to even comment on his intentions. He is no more aggressive than any other player in district 8AAA ... He just wants to play basketball without the BS that he has been dealing with down the stretch of his senior season.

I guess I saw more than an elbow. Yep it was a reaction, but the wrong one. BTW, the LC player was hit and checked for concussion.

Kid may have been checked after game but he continued to play for the remainder of time. If it was as bad as some of you are making it out to be he would have not finished game on the court. In saying that I hope he is OK.

bballrocks - I agree. I hope the player is ok.

LC has a bright future ahead with some of their young players. Hats off to their effort. I wish this incident had not happened. Its unfortunate for all involved. Emotions play such a big part of this for both the players and the fans. WE all get very passionate about our home teams!

Good luck to all!

It seems that teams playing Shelbyville for the last 3 weeks of the season are taking an aggressive approach. Columbia and Franklin County have played very good and come up short in games that could have gone either way. The rest of District 8AAA have played a very physical style that leads to out of control ballgames like we saw at Coffee County and this one Saturday night. I commend the effort and deisre of all the teams in district 8AAA but the coaches of the bottom tier of this district need to take a long hard look at their tactics. THAT includes the selecting of your ALL District team as well. Its a shame our students have to pay for the actions of jealous adults!

Unsure as to your philosophy here. 'Amazing' talents do not give license to jab another player! Perhaps this is learned from pro athletes down; but right is right , and the intent of the rule is to prevent players from hurting others. There is a bigger lesson here, and should not be washed away because of 'spectacular' play.

In the games that i've seen Shelbyville is not innocent of playing aggressive style also; in fact Twilley is one of the most proficient hand-checkers in the league and gets away with it night after night. All said, though, he does handle the ball very well and is an excellent passer.