Region 6AA

LetMeHearYA

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The refs had it easy for the 3 quarters in the Bolivar/Sycamore game. Both teams played zone defense and settled for outside shots. No press defense or post play. Easy game to officiate until the 4th quarter and overtime. Some questionable calls late, but not bad overall.

Not a very good game, BTW. But it is the playoffs and survive and advance is the goal at this point.

I thought I saw a lot of missed walks/travels. I saw it happen many times on both sides where it wasn't called.

Yes, the officiating was terrible. They let the girls play for three quarters. And since they let both teams do it, then I didn't have a problem with it. Waverly led most of the first half leading by as many as 5. McNairy's largest lead was 7 but only once and Waverly cut it to two in a matter of 30 seconds. The problem I have with the officiating is the very very bogus call at the end where a charge was called on Prince when it was very clear the McNairy girl slid over in front of her. The basket was wiped off and with the proper call it would have been an and one, making it a one point game with 12 seconds to go. MC was fouled after that, missed the free throw, which would have given Waverly a chance to win at the end. The referees let MC foul and Waverly was whistled for a lot of fouls in the fourth. Sad, but typical of West Tennessee officiating. Let the girls settle it on the court. It wasn't all the officials, just the bald headed one.

Having said that, McNairy does have a decent team, but Waverly is just as good. And Waverly has 10 freshmen and sophomores on the team. I call the games for the local radio and I would say that the school officials made us feel very welcome and we appreciate it. And the fans were great too. I really like the MC gym. Good luck on the new floor.

I believe McNairy had more fouls called on them. I believe they had 13 to Waverly's 9 before Waverly had to start fouling at the end. Burns got fouled alot underneath, at least three while she was shooting, and they didn't call it. I thought Waverly got away with a bunch of fouls in the 4th as did McNairy. Waverly had a bunch of walks that were not called and alot of push offs not called. I'm pretty sure we could go back and forth all night about what was all missed but they missed alot of calls both ways and in the 4th qtr also. Do you know what part of West TN they were from? I didn't know if they were from NW TN, SW TN, or Southern MidTN.

I didn't get to see the block called at the end of game because someone was in front of me. I asked someone beside me if she charged and they sent it could have went either way. But, that was coming from a MC fan, so it I can't say anything about it. Even if they called a foul, it was not a sure thing she would have made the FT. She misses it and McNairy could have had another shooter at the line and hit both of them for a 4 point lead.

Thanks for the good luck on the gym floor, we are in desperate need of one. I was kinda disapointed in the crowd. We usually have a bigger crowd and a whole lot louder crowd. They were nowhere near as loud as they usual are.

Waverly led 11-6 at the end of the 1st after McNairy started out up 4-0. McNairy led by 2 or 3 points at the half. McNairy led by as many as 7 in the 2nd half and Waverly tied the game a couple of times in the 2nd half. Each team had a ton of turnovers. Probably the most walks I've saw called in a game and a ton that did not get called.

What was the refs like in the other games? They were really bad in this game. They were the worst I have seen so far this year and we have some bad ones in our district.

Anybody know the Camden/Harpeth score?

This was the most oddly officiated game I have ever seen. First you have nothing being called whatsoever in the first half. Then you come back after half time and the refs go on a walk-calling spree. I bet 20 walks were called in the 3rd quarter, some were, but most were not. Then you go into the fourth quarter and it's like a new game. No longer can you reach in, push off, or anything that they were letting go throughout the game. However, I was still okay at this point. But in the last minute of play the ball went out on McNairy's point guard and Waverly went to set up for the inbound and somehow it was still MC's ball. Maybe I missed something, but then the real kicker was the charge call on Prince. The only charge call of the game mind you.. and there was hardly any contact. Looked like the refs wanted to end they game. I enjoyed the game nonetheless. I think Waverly prolly went 70% from the field. McNairy has excellent defense and a couple solid guards.

I believe McNairy had more fouls called on them. I believe they had 13 to Waverly's 9 before Waverly had to start fouling at the end. Burns got fouled alot underneath, at least three while she was shooting, and they didn't call it. I thought Waverly got away with a bunch of fouls in the 4th as did McNairy. Waverly had a bunch of walks that were not called and alot of push offs not called. I'm pretty sure we could go back and forth all night about what was all missed but they missed alot of calls both ways and in the 4th qtr also. Do you know what part of West TN they were from? I didn't know if they were from NW TN, SW TN, or Southern MidTN.

I didn't get to see the block called at the end of game because someone was in front of me. I asked someone beside me if she charged and they sent it could have went either way. But, that was coming from a MC fan, so it I can't say anything about it. Even if they called a foul, it was not a sure thing she would have made the FT. She misses it and McNairy could have had another shooter at the line and hit both of them for a 4 point lead.

Thanks for the good luck on the gym floor, we are in desperate need of one. I was kinda disapointed in the crowd. We usually have a bigger crowd and a whole lot louder crowd. They were nowhere near as loud as they usual are.

My understanding the officials were from the Memphis area. My comment about West Tenn. officials is I've been attending HS games for 30+ years and when you go to West Tenn. you expect a more physical game and more fouling allowed. Typically for three quarters nothing is usually called but when that 4th qtr comes, watch out. Now, there were a lot of missed calls on both teams. Missed walks on McNairy too. Two of the officials were very consistent and even when bad, if you are consistent, it's okay. But the bald headed guy, terrible. And we can argue, but it is over. About a missed free throw, doubt it, she is an 80+% FT shooter. But it doesn't matter, it's over. I was kind of surprised at the crowd too. You guys do have a nice gym and I know you are proud of it. I think you will find that Waverly has a nice gym too. Good luck the rest of the way. I noticed several upsets tonight.

So much for your prediction of dominance by McNairy. This was a very very close game and could have been easily won by the very young Tigerettes. McNairy better find some outside shooting or Monday will be their last game.

McNairy is better than what they played. They missed alot shots underneath that they usually make. They do have some outside shooting but Waverly's offense really made them try to speed things up. They made alot of bad passes trying to push the ball up court and forced alot of shots because Waverly took alot of time off the clock running their offense. I don't mean to take anything away from Waverly's Defense because they caused some turnovers with their trap. Is that Waverly's normal offense?

Waverly has a good young team and Katie Price( I think that's here name) is a really good player. You guys have some good 3pt shooters. Good Luck to Waverly next year.

McNairy is better than what they played. They missed alot shots underneath that they usually make. They do have some outside shooting but Waverly's offense really made them try to speed things up. They made alot of bad passes trying to push the ball up court and forced alot of shots because Waverly took alot of time off the clock running their offense. I don't mean to take anything away from Waverly's Defense because they caused some turnovers with their trap. Is that Waverly's normal offense?

Waverly has a good young team and Katie Price( I think that's here name) is a really good player. You guys have some good 3pt shooters. Good Luck to Waverly next year.

I have not seen McNairy play this year, but it was obvious that Waverly's offense had them a little thrown off. They adjusted to it a lot better in the second half. Sometimes slowing down a good team is a huge advantage. Yes Waverly most always plays this offense. They do not have a true post and this is their way of making up for that. They have 4 girls that can hit the 3 all day long and they count on that. But yea I could tell McNairy was not operating at full potential. It was a good game for Waverly, but they usually have less than 5 turnovers in a game. I think both teams had 15-20.

Yeah, McNairy got away with some walks and push offs. I didn't mean it was just Waverly. Probably should have worded it better. I agree with you on West TN officials. One miinute, they let you play and the next thing, they are ticky tac fouls and fouls that are not even there. I think that is one of the major things that hurts you guys coming over here. Especially with the walks, some of those walks that were called were not walks. But, alot of times, you do a quick fake and then drive, they call a walk. They say you shuffled your feet but the player never moves their pivot foot. West TN teams are use to it.

Yeah, I believe if you call consistent no matter good or bad, you done your job. THe balded headed guy looked like he was lost out there.

Yeah, we really like our gym. I thought it would have been pretty full tonight but it was far from it. Alot of times, we can fill the whole gym but we didn't. I would like to see Waverly's gym but I don't know if I will make it since the games are during the week.

I have not seen McNairy play this year, but it was obvious that Waverly's offense had them a little thrown off. They adjusted to it a lot better in the second half. Sometimes slowing down a good team is a huge advantage. Yes Waverly most always plays this offense. They do not have a true post and this is their way of making up for that. They have 4 girls that can hit the 3 all day long and they count on that. But yea I could tell McNairy was not operating at full potential. It was a good game for Waverly, but they usually have less than 5 turnovers in a game. I think both teams had 15-20.

I agree. Slowing the game down, especially against a team that likes to play kinda fast and a team that hasn't saw that all year, can be a huge advantage. I just didn't know if they took that long with their normal offense. When, they had the long possessions, they turned it over or McNairy jumped the pass. They ran the offense really well, just seemed when they took longer, they got a little sloopy. Are you post players Frosh and Soph also, it looks like you have some decent size.

I agree. Slowing the game down, especially against a team that likes to play kinda fast and a team that hasn't saw that all year, can be a huge advantage. I just didn't know if they took that long with their normal offense. When, they had the long possessions, they turned it over or McNairy jumped the pass. They ran the offense really well, just seemed when they took longer, they got a little sloopy. Are you post players Frosh and Soph also, it looks like you have some decent size.

Yeah most of the size are freshmen and soph post players. A few were dominate in Junior high and I think will be ready next year. We only lose 3 seniors this year. And there are no juniors on the team. Prince is sophomore and two of the leading scorers are freshmen. That offense did work well tonight, but sometimes it is frustrating to watch. You have to shoot to win the game. That's why I am such a girls basketball fan. There are so many tactics you can use to win games, regardless of speed, size, talent, etc.

Camden beat Harpeth by 7. Johnson is 0-3 in region play. He has lost twice as a 1 seed to 12AA's 4 and once as a 2 seed to their 3. He's consistant. I don't think it's a lack of talent.

What is up with Harpeth? They never perform in the postseason. Going back even further than Johnson, they lost some some substate games they were favored to win. No one could have predicted all of these outcomes tonight. Especially Sycamore taking Bolivar to OT. I want to hear details about this game.

No, the offense does not normally take that long to produce a shot. However, if a defense is quick and denys out top it takes longer to produce a shot. The problem tonight was too many turnovers. Some of that was McNairy's d some unforced.