Region 2A

HOOPSGURU

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the field was pretty even last night against OZ...they gave us a run for our money, but just couldn't hang in the end

There were a couple of calls at the end that I thought were questionable and probably could have gone either way. They went in the favor of Grace. So be it. That is part of basketball when judgement calls are involved.

A couple of calls does not make the entire game. OS was really lacking on the shooting. They had lots of shots but had difficulty in making the ball go through the hoop. It was not OS'es best night.

Grace played well, OS played well. There can only be one victor and this time it was Grace.

Good luck to Grace as they move on. I am pulling for Rockwood in the finals. Whichever team takes the region I hope they take the state and bring a gold ball back to East TN.

Grace 67

OS 61

I think the presence of a school like Grace Academy playing/competing against small rural towns/schools brings almost everyone together hoping Grace Academy loses.

As I have stated before, Grace has no business playing in Single A basketball. Sure their enrollment allows them to play when using the TSAA multiplier, but let's be realistic- they are a private school that selects their student body. They are sponsored by a mega church that rakes in millions to tens of millions of dollars. Just watch the broadcast every Sunday morning. This school and church's fundraising and pleas for donations is more in line with how division one colleges raise money for academics and athletics than in line with poor strapped public rural schools they are competing against.

Is it fair for a private school with this type of support who hand picks the type of student they want out of the Knoxvilel Metro area ( 700,000 plus people ) to compete against the Midways, Sunbrights, Coalfields, Oneidas, Oliver Springs, Rockwood, Greenback.

The TSAA dropped the ball on this. I am ok with Private schools playing AA and AAA basketball, but it's morally wrong for schools like Grace to be playing against single A teams- especially one bankrolled by a mega church located in a metro area of 700,000 competing against schools in towns of mostly 2,000 people or less and in some cases 500 people or less ( greenback, sunbright, oakdale, coalfield, midway).

This may just be my opinion, but a few years ago when all these schools were beating grace by twenty and thirty points noone was complaining. Now when grace begins to murder these teams everyone begins to complain now, it seems like everyone is happy when their teams win, and then when they get beat they just find the quickest thing they can whine about. Its about time that everyone takes their wins and their losses and lives with the fact that grace is in the district with these teams and they probably will continue to be. It isnt like Grace is winning every game by 50 points either, teams are playing them close and other than the LOSS to rockwood, they have been pulling games out. So either go beat them and quit complaining, or take your beating and quit complaining.

If your statement is true, why aren't they dominate in every sport? Why isn't the girls basketball team playing OS tonight? Why hasn't the softball team excelled? Why is the soccer team co-ed? Why hasn't football and baseball dominated as well?

They do not pick and chose only good athletes! Come on! I am sure they do not have a part of the admissions process where the potential student at Grace picks up a ball and shows the coach what they can do. This is a silly argument on your part. It isn't like Grace made the decision to play Single A ball in this district...just like Tellico Plains did not choose to be in this district next year.

Small school athletics is a 5-7 year cycle anyway. There a not many teams that are consistantly good year in and year out. I would say this would be true of the boys basketball team at Grace next year. The lose of Pridemore and Slusher will be huge, and Grace will not be as good as they are this year. That is just life.

Lets change the subject. Because noones opinion matters in this situation.

Out of the 8 teams that were in this tournament to start, if you could have a team of 10 players, any number of them from any team, to represent the Region in games against the other Regions. who would be your 10 guys?

There were a couple of calls at the end that I thought were questionable and probably could have gone either way. They went in the favor of Grace. So be it. That is part of basketball when judgement calls are involved.

A couple of calls does not make the entire game. OS was really lacking on the shooting. They had lots of shots but had difficulty in making the ball go through the hoop. It was not OS'es best night.

Grace played well, OS played well. There can only be one victor and this time it was Grace.

Good luck to Grace as they move on. I am pulling for Rockwood in the finals. Whichever team takes the region I hope they take the state and bring a gold ball back to East TN.

i dont think a gold ball will be brought back to east tn by single A school for a long time. i would say unaka got the last gold ball for a single A coming east of nashville for a long while. an that was 5 years ago. those teams in memphis play a different brand of basketball. i played for cosby in 06 when we were 34-2, but when we got to murfreesboro we ran into a team named humboldt, im realistic an you wont see a team like that east of jackson. i feel sorry for the graces or cloudlands or UH's or whoever makes it to the state in region 1 or 2 cause your goin to see a brutal beatdown. best of luck tho hope we east tn teams do well

i dont think a gold ball will be brought back to east tn by single A school for a long time. i would say unaka got the last gold ball for a single A coming east of nashville for a long while. an that was 5 years ago. those teams in memphis play a different brand of basketball. i played for cosby in 06 when we were 34-2, but when we got to murfreesboro we ran into a team named humboldt, im realistic an you wont see a team like that east of jackson. i feel sorry for the graces or cloudlands or UH's or whoever makes it to the state in region 1 or 2 cause your goin to see a brutal beatdown. best of luck tho hope we east tn teams do well

Temple won State in 06-07 and Grace Chatt. was in the finals in 05-06 the same year you got beat by Humboldt Grace beat them. When you get to the tourn anything can happen alot of all the talk about teams are hype. Shoot by looking on this board one would have thought Culleoka was the best team in the state and they have already been put out.

Regarding the personal insults directed at Oliver Springs fans by the Grace fan, I doubt Jesus would have liked your comment. You do support a faith based private school, correct? Maybe you need to subscribe to your ideology more and keep the focus on sports related content instead of attempting an joke that's neither funny or accurate.

And for the record, there are many jokes that can be made at the expense of Grace and it's supporters. This isn't the forum or audience. Let's stay focused on the topic at hand.

I don't think those Memphis teams would kill the Cosby and Hancock Co. teams from like 1998-2002. Those teams were ridiculous, had players about 6-8 or 6-9, and either of them would beat this year's Grace team by 20. They never won it, but they were both one of the 2 or 3 best teams in 1A those years. East Tennessee 1A is WAY down right now, but they will be back up eventually...

I don't think those Memphis teams would kill the Cosby and Hancock Co. teams from like 1998-2002. Those teams were ridiculous, had players about 6-8 or 6-9, and either of them would beat this year's Grace team by 20. They never won it, but they were both one of the 2 or 3 best teams in 1A those years. East Tennessee 1A is WAY down right now, but they will be back up eventually...

yes my friend i remember those teams well. cosby was the state runner up in 99 an 2000 and could really go. but they didnt have to play the humboldts and union citys either. see union city an humboldt were both at the state tourny in 2A jus a couple years ago its hard for these small east tn teams to match up with teams like that. your right it goes in cycles east tn will be back on top before long, hopefully. and yea grace wouldnt want any of cosby or hancock. they wouldnt know what to do with coggins from cosby or seal from hancock haha they both would get 50

Lets bring it back to this year. Everyone can talk about what teams would do to this team and that team but the truth is we wont ever really know cause guess what they cant play the game. Just finding a way to HATE on Grace one more time.