Football Rules Changes for 2009

ELA

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I must admit, I never like the A11 football scheme. It was a gimmek at best and a pain in the behind to prepare for simply because your defensive staff had to waste so much time working on it. Very unconventional and not your traditional football system.

2. I am happy to see the HORSE-COLLAR go and I hope they will someday remove the knee destroying FREE CLIP ZONE rule. It comes up every year but has not been amended in a long time.

3. The rule I don't like is the adjustment for the coaches box. I had more than one argument this past season with sideline officials about the 3 men in the coaches box rule. Next year, we will all have to step back into the PLAYERS BOX before the start of the play. They had might as well get ready for throwing a lot of flags on this one because 99% of the coaches in the state did not adhere to the three coach in the box rule!

I don't agree with getting rid of the A-11. It was a valid offense, it wasn't really that effective against a good disciplined defense. I think coaches wined and complained enough because they didn't want to try to teach a new defense.

Secondly, the coaches box thing. Are you kidding me? Who the heck thought this was necessary? This is impossible and not going to work at all. It was bad enough last year when they limited it to 3 coaches in the box. How many defensive coaches does your team have? Which one would you leave behind the action? Anyway This is a disaster waiting to happen. Are you telling me the kids behind the coaches box have to be ready to move and make sure the coaches have room in the formerly players box? Holly cow, this ought to be fun to watch.

Thirdly, the horse collar. We all knew this was coming eventually it was just a matter of time. The problem is kids have relied on it instead of learning how to tackle. Instinctively kids will still do it occasionally, but I guess in time they will learn. I guess after watching it in high school for so long I am immune to it being dangerous. I am not trying to start a debate on its danger however just saying I don't see it. Anyway, as I said we all knew it was coming.

My question is does TSSAA have to abide by these rules? Is this organization over them or can they treat it like a suggestion. I know every State has their own rules, for example the A-11 was already outlawed in some states. I would appreciate an answer to this from anyone that knows.

here is what you do for the coaches box thing: make the get back line 3 yards from the sideline, then make another one a yard further back where the players have to stand. THis one yard zone will give those other coaches who cannot be in the box room to walk without the players getting in the way. This is what we have done at our school the last few years! It is not a big deal to me. Glad to see the horse collar rule. As far as the A11, if a team runs it then you just have to prepare for it. It is a pain in the butt, but you can get it done! Just like you have to prepare for i guess it is the swinging gate on extra points!

A11 is done. State Associations can make adjustments but it is done in TN... TRUST ME! Until you have to waste time preparing for it you won't comprehend what a true pain in the rear it is. I am a four and five wide offensive coach and you need those five ineligible lineman on the field with the correct numbering sequence.

I hated the 3 in the box rule and I will be upset about this new rule. Thanks God we have plenty of sideline to make room for a second players box but smaller schools will not! It will be a mess at away games, especially when some officiating crews don't enforce it equally!

The Horse-collar rule needed to go!

A11 is done. State Associations can make adjustments but it is done in TN... TRUST ME! Until you have to waste time preparing for it you won't comprehend what a true pain in the rear it is. I am a four and five wide offensive coach and you need those five ineligible lineman on the field with the correct numbering sequence.

I hated the 3 in the box rule and I will be upset about this new rule. Thanks God we have plenty of sideline to make room for a second players box but smaller schools will not! It will be a mess at away games, especially when some officiating crews don't enforce it equally!

The Horse-collar rule needed to go!

How many times have you had to prepare for the A-11 offense?

I want to ask 2 questions; 1. Don't Sevier Co use this for there fake punt formation, and 2. If you move the sidelines box for the players and coaches on the Maryville visitor sidelines, you will be about row 3 of the danged bleachers.

dd...That wood bee ok....When 'st eye wuz at Hauls last Awgust....Sevrull ov tha Hauls fans in "row 3 of tha danged bleachers" tolt me thay knowed moore than tha coaches in tha box ennyhow...... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

here is what you do for the coaches box thing: make the get back line 3 yards from the sideline, then make another one a yard further back where the players have to stand. THis one yard zone will give those other coaches who cannot be in the box room to walk without the players getting in the way. This is what we have done at our school the last few years! It is not a big deal to me.

Im pretty sure the TSSAA will make the officials inforce this so you might as well get ready for it