Football Rules Changes for 2009

ELA

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A11 is done. State Associations can make adjustments but it is done in TN... TRUST ME! Until you have to waste time preparing for it you won't comprehend what a true pain in the rear it is. I am a four and five wide offensive coach and you need those five ineligible lineman on the field with the correct numbering sequence.

I hated the 3 in the box rule and I will be upset about this new rule. Thanks God we have plenty of sideline to make room for a second players box but smaller schools will not! It will be a mess at away games, especially when some officiating crews don't enforce it equally!

The Horse-collar rule needed to go!

i agree with everything but the banning of the A-11 lets set the rules up where we can only run certain defenses and only certain types of offenses if you have small linemen the A-11 helped, schemeing for the other type offenses and defenses is what you supposed to do. I love coach t don't wan't to upset people about the A-11 but i don't think enough teams were running to ban it.

There is a difference in running a play such as play action and lining up in a formation that is deceptive at the snap. Kind of like stepping a player on to the field from the sideline at the snap. That is why players must come inside the numbers prior to the snap. I know for a fact that Sunbright ran the A-11 last year or at least attempted to run it. I am sure there were others.

My problem with the A11 is the fact that ALL 11 PLAYERS WORE ELIGIBLE NUMBERS. I don't care about the placement on the field, just the numbers. Everyone sees the old Pole-Cat type formations from time to time and it does cause problems but your secondary can figure out who to cover if the five ineligible lineman are wearing a number between 50 and 79. It fundamentally changes the game of football to the point it is not football anymore when you allow all 11 offensive players to wear the same number. It changes the intent of the game and that is why the rule was redefined. The A11 offense took advantage of a poorly worded exception to allow an eligible player to lineup for punts as an "Special team" lineman to cover the punt downfield. The way they have changed the rules now only allows this formation on 4th downs in punting situations.

How many teams in Tennessee actually ran any type of the A-11? I've not heard of a single one.

Tullahoma ran it a couple of times. Against Lincoln County it almost led to a comeback upset. Against Maplewood it wasn't very successful. It is fun to watch but not that big a deal if your defense knows which are eligible. Lincoln County's D-line would split wide even on ineligible receivers leaving a 3 on 1 or 2 so there would be plenty of time to find an open receiver. Maplewood D-line stayed put creating a 3 on 4 or 5 which put more pressure on the QB.