Is it time to split public, for individual state

drem2acheve

In the past I have heard that unless ALL sports from both division agree to end the split it will remain. The TSSAA won't just select sports to bring DI and DII back together. I don't see DI football schools in middle tennessee or DII basketball schools in west tennessee wanting to end the split. So regardless how you feel about wrestling's two divisions nothing will change unless you get the other schools and sports to go along with it. Besides for all of you who get on coacht and rant and rave about this topic you are not getting anywhere. You need to have your principal or headmasters contact their TSSAA representatives those are the folks that the TSSAA will listen too. My opinion is though that the split will continue because most schools in most sports want it. I also think that if there were a true vote a majority of schools with wrestling would vote to continue the split. That just my opinion.

Also I think adding a small school division at the individual states would help the sport grow in tennessee. Again, just my opinion.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it time to split D-1 into small and large for individual state. Would this help wrestling grow

among the smaller schools. We have 160 plus teams I believe, is it something to look at,

would it help this great sport in Tn. it seems to have helped in surrounding states. Just a thought.

The only TRUE way to grow wrestling is to build it as a wrestling community--that means getting involved in coaching, refereeing, fundraising, and being a fan.

Ohio has been split in 3 divisions for many years and schools go back in forth every few years based on the amount of eligible males that go to each school. This number is on a sliding scale that adjusts to keep the divisions balance with numbers of schools.

I'm not saying Tennessee should go to this type of setup or not. But changing to 2 divsions from Div. I would REALLY dilute the process in the current format as guys only need to place at Regions (top 4 out of 7 or 8 guys) to make it to state (32-man bracket). I know the regions are being adjusted next year to get rid of this occurence, but you have to keep in mind that QUALITY is better than QUANTITY when it comes to building a program (or the sport in general). Keep the quality of wrestling high and the sport will continue to grow for years to come!

On all levels wrestling is not growing. Take a look at the Natl. numbers, there are more teams

which means more competitors. Divide the number of teams last year by the competitors, do

the same for the current year and you will see the number of competitors per team is down.

The sport grows by having people involved, not just quality people, but bodies.

dilute, at first yes. But then competition rises. Remember when D2 split off? State wasn't as tough, now look at what Baylor and Bradley have become, they were nothing before. Give more teams a chance succeed and competition will come.

I do not think Baylor or Bradley's success has anything to do with the split.

You can't argue with the amount of growth that the sport has seen in NC and GA. This argument bothers me because the only people who like the current set-up are the ones from large schools. Try to start a wrestling team in TN and take it from nothing. Those guys have little chance at the region level, let alone the state level. Why would a small school even want to bother? A split into AAA and A/AA gives them a reason to introduce wrestling. I say that we add 25 teams in the first 5 years of an A/AA championship, maybe more.

I have heard recently that states with class wrestling have state champs that aren't reguarded as highly as states with only one or two state champs per weight class.Go to IndianaMat.com and there is a very long thread about class wrestling and recruiting.

Doesn't matter how many classes you have.....if you go to Fargo and Nationals and tear people up.....they notice you.

True tearing it up at a national tourny will get you noticed. If you can't afford that type of travel in these tough times and have to rely on sending info and tapes to schools you are interested in then being a state champ from a state without class wrestling carries more weight than from a state with class wrestling.The best way to go is attend camps that have coachs from schools you are interested in that way they see your work ethic ,potential to improve,and get to know you on a more personal level.The most important thing though is grades, coachs don't waste funds on kids that won't cut it in the classroom.

True tearing it up at a national tourny will get you noticed. If you can't afford that type of travel in these tough times and have to rely on sending info and tapes to schools you are interested in then being a state champ from a state without class wrestling carries more weight than from a state with class wrestling.The best way to go is attend camps that have coachs from schools you are interested in that way they see your work ethic ,potential to improve,and get to know you on a more personal level.The most important thing though is grades, coachs don't waste funds on kids that won't cut it in the classroom.

I won't argue any of your points. I will say we have 5 classes and we have kids from all 5 classes that get scholarships every year.