can mc minn central win it all?

mccharger

First of all, Central and Polk cannot even be compared on the same level simply because of the fact that the Chargerettes have wore them out on a consistent basis all year long... 3 times and make it 4 after Wednesday night! Central has a great chance for a run to the state title this year, but poor ole Polk... they should just feel lucky to make it as far as they have. I would hate to be a Polk fan and have to take the beating they are going to recieve from Upperman in the Sub-State game!

Wore them out? If Im not mistaken, and Im not. The first game this yr @ Polk was 42-38 with Central winning. I dont think I would call that wearing them out. The second game was 19-20 pt game. Dont think Id call that wearing out either. Third game was 25. I guess you could call that. All it takes is ONE bad shooting night and anyone can be beat. If you dont think so, look all over this board at the teams that were upset last night. It can happen to anybody.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my opinion on why they may have a "real"shot this year.

1) Senior leadership, they play together very well

2) strength program showing signs of paying off

3) 10 deep with subs that really contribute

4) A real presense at the post position, something they never have had at the State Tournament

5) lot of experience at the guard position

6) last but not least... full court, man to man, in your face, borderline nasty DEFENSE, every night!!

Good points all, OldSchool! Let's not forget the bad taste the semis left in their mouths last year. That will take them to a whole different level of determination.

4) A real presense at the post position, something they never have had at the State Tournament

6) last but not least... full court, man to man, in your face, borderline nasty DEFENSE, every night!!

Well said Old School

Wore them out? If Im not mistaken, and Im not. The first game this yr @ Polk was 42-38 with Central winning. I dont think I would call that wearing them out. The second game was 19-20 pt game. Dont think Id call that wearing out either. Third game was 25. I guess you could call that. All it takes is ONE bad shooting night and anyone can be beat. If you dont think so, look all over this board at the teams that were upset last night. It can happen to anybody.

Well, if I remember correctly, and I do. After the 20 point loss to Central (that was #2 of 3 so far), Polk turned around and lost the very next night to Meigs? I'd say they were worn out. Don't get me wrong, I think Polk is a good team and I don't like having to play the same good team so many times (the law of averages is against you). But, you have to give Central their due. They are a very good team.

I respectfully disagree:

1) They've had several teams in the past that had good leadership & play well together

2) Strength program? I am very close to the program and have never known them to strength train

3) They have been 8-10 deep in the past....depth at the state tournament is over-rated anyway

4) Post presence- Julie Alderhold was an inside out player but did post up alot and her team didn't win it

5) They've had plenty of experience at the guard position in the past

6) I REALLY DISAGREE WITH THIS ONE & FEEL STRONGLY THAT THIS IS THE ONE OF THE REASON THE ARE NOT SUCCESSFUL AT THE STATE TOURNAMENT! They can pressure full court, man to man, in your face, borderline nasty DEFENSE, every night.....against the teams they play during the regular season, but that gambling out of control style gives up lay-ups, fouls, open 3's, middle penetration, etc against the GOOD TEAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some of the better teams at the State Tournament play well against that style.

Well, if I remember correctly, and I do. After the 20 point loss to Central (that was #2 of 3 so far), Polk turned around and lost the very next night to Meigs? I'd say they were worn out. Don't get me wrong, I think Polk is a good team and I don't like having to play the same good team so many times (the law of averages is against you). But, you have to give Central their due. They are a very good team.

I have always given Central their due. I have said many times that they should win it. They are deep and talented. As for the Meigs loss, I think last night showed that it was a fluke. That leaves 3 losses to Central and one loss to NW Whitfield, who I think is like 30-2 this yr. They have 2 6'4 post players, and won on a last second shot. Should be a good game though, and it would be great for them to meet again....

I respectfully disagree:

1) They've had several teams in the past that had good leadership & play well together

2) Strength program? I am very close to the program and have never known them to strength train

3) They have been 8-10 deep in the past....depth at the state tournament is over-rated anyway

4) Post presence- Julie Alderhold was an inside out player but did post up alot and her team didn't win it

6) I REALLY DISAGREE WITH THIS ONE & FEEL STRONGLY THAT THIS IS THE ONE OF THE REASON THE ARE NOT SUCCESSFUL AT THE STATE TOURNAMENT! They can pressure full court, man to man, in your face, borderline nasty DEFENSE, every night.....against the teams they play during the regular season, but that gambling out of control style gives up lay-ups, fouls, open 3's, middle penetration, etc against the GOOD TEAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some of the better teams at the State Tournament play well against that style.

You obviously aren't as close as you think you are to the program. I've served as their strength coach since April of 2007.

I respectfully disagree:

Well here raider2 is again always disagree something about Central. Raider2 all im sayin is that u come to the game tomorrow night and let the Chargerettes show you just how good they are thats all im sayin raider. Hope to see you there

I didn't say he was not a good coach...I said "he wasn't good enough" Playing some great teams CLOSE in the state tournament is exactly my point- Getting close doesn't count! His track record over the years has them losing in the sub-state or state tournament to equal or better teams. I just don't think he is a good enough coach to beat equal or better teams when it counts. I also think they've had enough talent over the years to win a State Championship at the AA level. Personally, I think the weak schedule they play year in and year out hurts them come March. What good holiday tournaments have they played in to get them ready for the state tournament? Lenoir City Classic, Times Freepress...those are really tough! What makes this team and coach any different? Not bashing just putting out the some facts.

Has it ever occured to you that by just playing many games close in the state tournament it's considered successful? How many coaches can say they've done as well as Coach Morgan has in the state tournament?

I can honestly say I've seen some Central teams play above their heads and win some games in the state tournament, but I've never - NEVER - seen them lose a game in the state tournament to a team they should have beaten. I did think they had a chance to beat Marshall County last year, but with a difference of 20 fouls called between the two teams, Central's task was too monumental to overcome, even if Pat Summitt had been coaching them.

Once you get to the final 8 teams, any one of them can win it all. A teams fortune or misfortune can be determined by a few calls or no-calls, and the bounce of the ball. If Marshall County and Hume-Fogg played 10 games, how much money would you wager that Marshall County would have won the majority of the games - maybe 9 of them? Unfortunately for Marshall County, their season is over just because of that one loss last night.....but that still doesn't mean they're quite possibly not the best team in the state. Do you question their coach's ability?

As someone above mentioned, Coach Morgan is still a great coach - whether Central wins the state this year or never.

You obviously aren't as close as you think you are to the program. I've served as their strength coach since April of 2007.

WOW, that smackdown will be felt quite a while by raider2! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

It's quite obvious raider2 has some sort of grudge against Central and just can't stand the thought of them possibly winning the state this year. And it's also quite obvious that raider2 knows nothing about the program at Central.

I have always given Central their due. I have said many times that they should win it. They are deep and talented. As for the Meigs loss, I think last night showed that it was a fluke. That leaves 3 losses to Central and one loss to NW Whitfield, who I think is like 30-2 this yr. They have 2 6'4 post players, and won on a last second shot. Should be a good game though, and it would be great for them to meet again....

I'm not so sure the loss to Meigs was a fluke. I was at that game, and Polk was simply outhustled and out played.

I agree that Polk is a better team than Meigs, but I can guarantee you that Central could play their worst game against Meigs' best game, and the Chargerettes would still win the game. And that is the biggest difference bewteen Central and Polk.

Didn't say I was the personell director for McMinn Central High School. Didn't realize the school had a position of strength coach? Are you employed by the school system? Give me some details of your responsibilities of the team? How many days of the week do the girls workout?