South Greene vs. Elizabethton Round #4

coachh17

Elizabethton and South Greene will square off for the Region 1 title tomorrow night. South Greene was awesome in the 80's and 90's and won 4 Gold Balls. I think their last title was in 2000. Elizabethton has been very good this decade having won four of the last five Region 1 titles and will be appearing in the sub-state for the sixth time in the last seven years. South Greene has had more traditional state level success, is higher ranked in the polls, and owns three tough victories over Elizabethton this year. The first two games were decided late in the fourth quarter and the Lady Cyclones let the third game slip away in regulation before falling in overtime. These are two very good teams that are a classic contrast in styles. Elizabethton is bigger and prefers to pound the ball inside to 6'1" Mariah Pietrowski and 5'9" Jasmine Jefferson in the half court. South Greene likes to press, run, and slash to the basket with super point guard Rechelle Dye leading the way. Controlling tempo and officiating play a huge role when these two teams play. If the game gets fast and the referees let it get physical in the open floor, the advantage goes to South Greene. If the game is slower and called tightly, I believe the Lady Cyclones have the advantage inside the paint. South Greene is the favorite, but if the Lady Cyclones can handle the pressure and keep Powell and Pietrowski out of foul trouble they may pull off an upset. Good luck to both in the sub-state. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Elizabethton and South Greene will square off for the Region 1 title tomorrow night. South Greene was awesome in the 80's and 90's and won 4 Gold Balls. I think their last title was in 2000. Elizabethton has been very good this decade having won four of the last five Region 1 titles and will be appearing in the sub-state for the sixth time in the last seven years. South Greene has had more traditional state level success, is higher ranked in the polls, and owns three tough victories over Elizabethton this year. The first two games were decided late in the fourth quarter and the Lady Cyclones let the third game slip away in regulation before falling in overtime. These are two very good teams that are a classic contrast in styles. Elizabethton is bigger and prefers to pound the ball inside to 6'1" Mariah Pietrowski and 5'9" Jasmine Jefferson in the half court. South Greene likes to press, run, and slash to the basket with super point guard Rechelle Dye leading the way. Controlling tempo and officiating play a huge role when these two teams play. If the game gets fast and the referees let it get physical in the open floor, the advantage goes to South Greene. If the game is slower and called tightly, I believe the Lady Cyclones have the advantage inside the paint. South Greene is the favorite, but if the Lady Cyclones can handle the pressure and keep Powell and Pietrowski out of foul trouble they may pull off an upset. Good luck to both in the sub-state. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!

I think the key to the game is South Greene's Shelby Hicks. She is going to have to get tough and make some big baskets against Mariah and play some nose to nose defense and South Greene will have to hit the boards hard and get it out and run, if they can press and run South Greene will make it a long night for the Lady Cyclones. However, if the Lady Cyclones control the boards and Dye gets in foul trouble it can be a long night for the Lady Rebels. Good Luck to both teams and may the best team win. God Bless

Coachh17, South Greene was runner-up to Jackson County in 2000. Man, that brought up bad memories. I think SG really could've won that game if it wasn't for Sharee Renner getting into foul trouble. But anyway, that's how it goes sometimes. (I'm not blaming the officiating cause all of the fouls called on her were legit) I was afraid that Elizabethton might win in the district championship, but now that SG has taken 3 of 3, I think they'll make it 4 of 4 on Wednesday. Tempo and officiating will play a major role as usual in a SG-Betsy match-up.

I think that both of these teams will win their sub-state games and make some noise in the boro.

Coachh17, South Greene was runner-up to Jackson County in 2000. Man, that brought up bad memories. I think SG really could've won that game if it wasn't for Sharee Renner getting into foul trouble. But anyway, that's how it goes sometimes. (I'm not blaming the officiating cause all of the fouls called on her were legit) I was afraid that Elizabethton might win in the district championship, but now that SG has taken 3 of 3, I think they'll make it 4 of 4 on Wednesday. Tempo and officiating will play a major role as usual in a SG-Betsy match-up.

I think that both of these teams will win their sub-state games and make some noise in the boro.

Sorry to bring up an unpleasant memory. It should be a great game tomorrow and I would love to see both these District 1 teams shake up Murfreesboro. Go Cyclones!!!!!

I believe the year that South Greene was runner-up to Jackson Co. Sharee actually tore her ACL in the first few minutes of the game. The rest of the game was quite simply dismal. The next year they lost in the first round to Gibson Co. after giving up a big lead. That's the last year they have been to the 'Boro.

CLOSE GAME TO THE HALF THEN SOUTH GREENE TO PULL AWAY BY 14

SOUTH GREENE 48 ELIZ 36

GOOD LUCK TO BOTH

Wow. Great math.

I think Elizabthton can win the game if they can play a complete game. When these two teams played in District Championship Etown played three great quarters, but lost everything (for the most part) in the third quarter. If Etown can eliminate that run from SG and stay out of foul trouble, then they can win this ballgame.

GO CYCLONES!!!