Marshall Co. - David Lipscomb

Tiger_4_life

20 point lead, why is Johnson (best player on floor with 4 fouls) even in the game. I sat behind MC (Major Choke) bench and watched as Johnson begged/talked the coach, after the coach had already put in the white/blonde haired lefty just before the 3rd qtr ended, to put him(Harris) back in. And the coach puts Harris back in as white/blonde haired kid left slammed his seat as he came out and was consoled by the black coach at the end of the bench.... losers "always" blame the refs - but I would argue MC coach made a bad decision in regards to putting Johnson into the game when he did. Luckily this was a region final and MC lives to see another day.

Who is "Harris"?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread needs an unbiased viewpoint. I was at the game last night, and I am not associated with either team. I am actually a referee in several college leagues and personally have worked college games with two of the officials from last night's crew, not to mention I played Div. I basketball and was an assistant coach briefly at the college level. I say this simply to point out that I have seen the game from all sides. The game was not refereed perfectly (just as no game is), and the officials would tell you the same thing I'm sure. After every game, officials discuss plays that occurred and whether calls were missed and so forth. But I will say that I absolutely think the game was called 100% equally and justifiably as to how the game was played. #45 for Marshall Co. is a stud talent-wise but needs to learn to play smarter. Fans miss the point so many times. Why was he trying to block a 3-point shot 23 feet from the basket with four fouls? I can understand contesting the shot with a hand in the kid's face, but swatting at the ball? And yes, he did hit the guy's arm. If it was such a bad call, why was there no protest from the coach or the player? As far as him pushing off with his off arm while dribbling, the DL players were initially holding/hand-checking him which was called at least twice by the crew, and later #45 for MC was called for pushing off. So why are fans from both sides still complaining when the officials adjudicated both situations correctly? Also, #45 for MC could have easily been called for a bone-headed hand-checking foul in the first quarter when he had both hands all over a kid 25 feet from the basket. But thankfully the official used great judgment and told him to get his hands off without calling a foul. Why is that not cited as a situation where the officials properly saved him from a stupid foul? The officials have much more integrity and capacity to manage games than most anyone gives them credit for.

I will say that after talking with the crew after the game, they commended both coaches on being class acts, and watching the game I totally agreed.

Fans have a right to disagree with calls, but try to maintain some class while doing it. Throwing personal jabs in there only shows the lack of intelligience and dignity a person has. It is also amazing to me how certain schools are supposed to be Christian-based yet their fans will yell some of the nastiest things you could hear. And that goes for any fans of any school whether they are Christian-related or not. I'm certainly no where close to being perfect, but it's got to be hard walking into church on Sunday morning when you've disgraced yourself on Friday and Saturday night.

I have to totally agree with this (at least in this game). All three refs seemed to have the game well in hand and cut boths teams plenty of slack. It was indeed a flury in the end. Tough to call.

I saw the hand-check foul that wasn't called. I don't think I'll be able to be convinced otherwise that Lipscomb got away with a few extra pushes down low and in the press. The refs were fairly consistant on letting them play, the style just helps a team like Lipscomb who isn't as athletic, but more physical.

But the refs didn't score 43 points for Lipscomb in the 4th quarter. And believe it or not, with Lipscomb's big 4th, Marshall Co. still should have won the game.

I saw the hand-check foul that wasn't called. I don't think I'll be able to be convinced otherwise that Lipscomb got away with a few extra pushes down low and in the press. The refs were fairly consistant on letting them play, the style just helps a team like Lipscomb who isn't as athletic, but more physical.

But the refs didn't score 43 points for Lipscomb in the 4th quarter. And believe it or not, with Lipscomb's big 4th, Marshall Co. still should have won the game.

Lipscomb wasn't as athletic? Which game were you watching? As I recall DL owned the boards, and had their post players guarding little quick guards the whole night. DL had the bigger more athletic team in this game, and MC can shoot lights out. Thats why it went into 2 OTs

...and to everyone leave the refs alone, they at no point in the game shot a basket, got a rebound, steal, nothing, point and case, they didn't play the kids did. and on the calls; they are people who are imperfect just as all of us are, we all make mistakes, such as a missed call which occur during every athletic event in every level of all sports.

This thread needs an unbiased viewpoint. I was at the game last night, and I am not associated with either team. I am actually a referee in several college leagues and personally have worked college games with two of the officials from last night's crew, not to mention I played Div. I basketball and was an assistant coach briefly at the college level. I say this simply to point out that I have seen the game from all sides. The game was not refereed perfectly (just as no game is), and the officials would tell you the same thing I'm sure. After every game, officials discuss plays that occurred and whether calls were missed and so forth. But I will say that I absolutely think the game was called 100% equally and justifiably as to how the game was played. #45 for Marshall Co. is a stud talent-wise but needs to learn to play smarter. Fans miss the point so many times. Why was he trying to block a 3-point shot 23 feet from the basket with four fouls? I can understand contesting the shot with a hand in the kid's face, but swatting at the ball? And yes, he did hit the guy's arm. If it was such a bad call, why was there no protest from the coach or the player? As far as him pushing off with his off arm while dribbling, the DL players were initially holding/hand-checking him which was called at least twice by the crew, and later #45 for MC was called for pushing off. So why are fans from both sides still complaining when the officials adjudicated both situations correctly? Also, #45 for MC could have easily been called for a bone-headed hand-checking foul in the first quarter when he had both hands all over a kid 25 feet from the basket. But thankfully the official used great judgment and told him to get his hands off without calling a foul. Why is that not cited as a situation where the officials properly saved him from a stupid foul? The officials have much more integrity and capacity to manage games than most anyone gives them credit for.

I will say that after talking with the crew after the game, they commended both coaches on being class acts, and watching the game I totally agreed.

Fans have a right to disagree with calls, but try to maintain some class while doing it. Throwing personal jabs in there only shows the lack of intelligience and dignity a person has. It is also amazing to me how certain schools are supposed to be Christian-based yet their fans will yell some of the nastiest things you could hear. And that goes for any fans of any school whether they are Christian-related or not. I'm certainly no where close to being perfect, but it's got to be hard walking into church on Sunday morning when you've disgraced yourself on Friday and Saturday night.

One of the best post I have read on Coach T in years. All fans should put a whistle on and call a game like that and see how they feel about what they called/did not call, and then be able to drive home feeling like they did the best job possible. To be a ref takes a lot bigger person than to be a fan (short for fanatic). Most of you could not handle the crowd, much less the players. Great game with a lot of swings in momentum. That is what tournament basketball is about.

While Lipscomb owned the boards, I would argue that Marshall Co. has more atletes. Nobody from Lipscomb was as athletic as Johnson. Burns is also probably more athletic than the guys from Lipscomb. Lipscomb owned the boards because they were able to muscle up down low. They were stronger as a team. By no means am I saying Lipscomb isn't athletic, you have to be to play basketball. I just think that as a whole, Marshall Co. is a more athletic team. While Lipscomb had bigger guys guarding the smaller guards, they couldn't stay with the guards consistantly when they were driving. McCullough and Johnson made a number of baskets getting to the basket.

I'll also say that when both teams are playing at full strength that Marshall Co. is better. Johnson is the difference maker as he is a match-up head ache. Him being out the just about the entire 4th quarter really hurt Marshall Co. No team in the region showed any signs of stopping him.

While Lipscomb owned the boards, I would argue that Marshall Co. has more atletes. Nobody from Lipscomb was as athletic as Johnson. Burns is also probably more athletic than the guys from Lipscomb. Lipscomb owned the boards because they were able to muscle up down low. They were stronger as a team. By no means am I saying Lipscomb isn't athletic, you have to be to play basketball. I just think that as a whole, Marshall Co. is a more athletic team.

hahahahaahahaha

this guys got jokes

I fully intended to head on back to Nashville after that awesome girls final, however at the last minutes i decided to stay and watch the start of the boys game because i wanted to see if Lewisburg could shoot again like they did against CPA. I ended up staying the whole night. All i have to say is WOW. Now that is high school basketball. On one side, you had one of the better perimeter shooting teams in the state (perhaps the best??) and on the other side you had one of the best fundamental teams in the state. Great offense against solid defense. The first half lipscomb did a good job of defending the outside shot by getting a hand in the face nearly every time. In the 3rd Qtr however, it looked to me like fatigue caught up to the Lipscomb defense....they were getting slower in fighting through sceens and allowing Lewisburg to get open looks...and Lewisburg does not miss open looks. You could feel that momentum had shifted, but still i was surprised to look at the scoreboard at the end of the 3rd quarter and see Lewisburg up by 20. At that point I thought the game was over. Lipscomb didnt seem to have an answer, their legs were tired and their shoulders drooped a little bit. I dont know who the red head kid from Lipscomb is, but he was the difference in the game. When he came in early in the 4th qtr, he totally changed the flow of the game during that furious rally. I dont think that he scored a lot of points, but he seemed to be everywhere on defense and the Lipscomb point guard hit everything he threw up. I have to say....a 43 point 4th quarter as well as the suspense of double overtime....I will still be a girls basketball follower, but this classic was the most exciting game I've seen in quite a while.

I fully intended to head on back to Nashville after that awesome girls final, however at the last minutes i decided to stay and watch the start of the boys game because i wanted to see if Lewisburg could shoot again like they did against CPA. I ended up staying the whole night. All i have to say is WOW. Now that is high school basketball. On one side, you had one of the better perimeter shooting teams in the state (perhaps the best??) and on the other side you had one of the best fundamental teams in the state. Great offense against solid defense. The first half lipscomb did a good job of defending the outside shot by getting a hand in the face nearly every time. In the 3rd Qtr however, it looked to me like fatigue caught up to the Lipscomb defense....they were getting slower in fighting through sceens and allowing Lewisburg to get open looks...and Lewisburg does not miss open looks. You could feel that momentum had shifted, but still i was surprised to look at the scoreboard at the end of the 3rd quarter and see Lewisburg up by 20. At that point I thought the game was over. Lipscomb didnt seem to have an answer, their legs were tired and their shoulders drooped a little bit. I dont know who the red head kid from Lipscomb is, but he was the difference in the game. When he came in early in the 4th qtr, he totally changed the flow of the game during that furious rally. I dont think that he scored a lot of points, but he seemed to be everywhere on defense and the Lipscomb point guard hit everything he threw up. I have to say....a 43 point 4th quarter as well as the suspense of double overtime....I will still be a girls basketball follower, but this classic was the most exciting game I've seen in quite a while.

The best summary of the teams and game.