Ump not getting his way

Indian

It was bizarre at the time but now I can laugh about it. This was during the East Ridge playday. Sequatchie is batting, Baylor is pitching. A pitch hits the batter around the wrist and the home ump gives her first base. No appeal or asking for help by Baylor, which had the view from the first base dugout, but the field ump on his own charges down the first base line waving everything off and saying "she's out, she's out," apparently trying to convince the home ump there was a swing. There wasn't at all, the bat and arms were raised up and back to try and avoid the ball. The field ump is unsuccessful after a conference with the home ump, so he simply charges off the field /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Another ump was nearby and took over for the rest of the game. I've never seen that, I'd hope he would not in a regulation game but then again after that attempt to overrule the home ump I'd hope not to see him anymore this season.

It was bizarre at the time but now I can laugh about it. This was during the East Ridge playday. Sequatchie is batting, Baylor is pitching. A pitch hits the batter around the wrist and the home ump gives her first base. No appeal or asking for help by Baylor, which had the view from the first base dugout, but the field ump on his own charges down the first base line waving everything off and saying "she's out, she's out," apparently trying to convince the home ump there was a swing. There wasn't at all, the bat and arms were raised up and back to try and avoid the ball. The field ump is unsuccessful after a conference with the home ump, so he simply charges off the field /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Another ump was nearby and took over for the rest of the game. I've never seen that, I'd hope he would not in a regulation game but then again after that attempt to overrule the home ump I'd hope not to see him anymore this season.

Are you sure he charged off the field on his own and wasn't thrown off the field by the plate umpire? /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> I would have given him the ole heave-ho.

If he did all of that without being asked he deserved to be tossed by his partner. I'll bet the plate ump was royally ticked and was probably happy he stomped off. I wouldn't hold my breath over not seeing him any more. While anyone who pulls something like you describe simply isn't ready to be on the field, there is a shortage of bodies to fill the blue uniforms and you very well may see him a lot this spring.

No one really said much at the time, everyone was stunned. If Baylor wanted his help and the home ump asked for his view I could understand a little but they didn't ask for it, it was all his doing. It's hard to describe how eager he seemed to be to get that call changed and how angry he seemed after it wasn't. A couple of fans were wondering if he would have been that eager if the batting team and the fielding team has been reversed.

I sent this story to my father who is a baseball umpire (young, middle/high school and adult leagues) in the Northern Virginia/Southern Maryland area and has been for 15+ years. He is a former Navy fighter pilot, takes umpiring very seriously and is part of an organization that trains and tests it's umpire yearly. They even have a winter training week in Florida. He sent back the following story.

"Similar situation happened to me years ago. I??™m doing the plate at Fairfax HS, my partner ejects a player at second base but so quietly that I nor were most folks aware. This in the top of the ninth inning of an otherwise peaceful men's game. As we started the bottom my partner says the game is a forfeit (he can??™t do that) so I ask what is going on. He says the ejected player is behind the other dugout and didn??™t go to the parking lot. So ??“ not that big a deal. So partner walks off field to parking lot. I stayed (was friends with the home coach) and finished bottom of ninth, only three batters. When I got to the parking lot he was all upset at me. I told him he couldn??™t forfeit a game and he abandoned me. Some of the guys thought I should have gone with my partner and others thought I did OK. Today that guy no longer umpires.

"

In west TN I know you you would not. Our assigning officers take that sort of stuff serious. I would say he would be removed from all games that year.