Meeting a district opponent 5 times in 1 season

MrTSSAA

In 2006, Temple and Grace played each other twice in the regular season, at the Best of Preps Tournament, district and region championships. Grace went on that year to finish runner up to Union City after beating Humboldt in the semis. Temple came back next year and won the state title.

If Temple and Grace both win their semis, it will happen again this year, two regulars, district and region championships, and the finals.

I believe the year that Lang Wiseman and his brother Russell led Bolton to the state title they played Treadwell 5 times losing the first four then winning the one that counted. That was the year that legendary coach Joe Branch had passed away. I want to say late 80s maybe early 90's. I am really old.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if a district team has faced another district team 5 times in one season like:

Reg. season game 1

Reg. season game 2

District Championship

Region Championship

State Championship

This is probably more likely to happen in girls, but I was just wondering...

I'm not sure but the 97-98 Perry County team may have played Columbia Academy 5 times...

May have happened with AAA memphis teams...

Random topic I was just wanting to know...

Im not sure about 5 lol, but Powell met Halls which is the biggest rival and in the same district 4 times in one season.

I believe the year that Lang Wiseman and his brother Russell led Bolton to the state title they played Treadwell 5 times losing the first four then winning the one that counted. That was the year that legendary coach Joe Branch had passed away. I want to say late 80s maybe early 90's. I am really old.

Treadwell had Anfernee Hardaway that year...

If memory serves me well...Hampton and Unicoi Co. played 5 times during the 1992 season...first in the Hardee's Classic Championship...then the two regular season games...and then in the District and Regional Championship games...Hampton won all 5 with the District Championship game being the only one that was close...Unicoi should have won that game actually...sadly they did not meet in the State Finals because Unicoi lost in the substate and Hampton lost in the State Semi's to Alcoa...good memories and two good teams...

I think in the late 80s or early 90s South Greene's girls beat Unicoi County's girls five times in that very scenario...those were the only losses for UC that season. I can't remember the exact year.

I may be wrong...I am quite often...but I thought that going into the State Final the teams had split the previous 4 games and then SG went on to win giving them a 3-2 edge in the series that season...those were some great games to watch...

I may be wrong...I am quite often...but I thought that going into the State Final the teams had split the previous 4 games and then SG went on to win giving them a 3-2 edge in the series that season...those were some great games to watch...

you were exactly right on the unicoi - hampton boys in 92. hampton did beat unicoi 5 times that year and both teams had their seasons ended by the same team - Alcoa. but, hampton would have beat alcoa if vines wouldn't have gotten hurt. probably should have anyways.

but on the one quoted above south greene - unicoi girls actually played 6 times in 91 and split 3-3. both teams were very good and unicoi had their best player ever(boys or girls) in amy engle. /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />