THS VIKINGS 09

THSVIKINGS11

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno if i really agree with that comp, the qb situation settled down and most of the players took the coach's back on the situation, Harmon was the man... The balanced offense that came into play in the last few games brought great results and i think wouldve helped the vikes all season. As far as the defense goes there was some trouble with the run because of D-Tackle play but i still dont buy that as the issue, the secondary had its hands full all season. There were far more than 3 plays against them this past season, The one against DB, 2 Easts only 2 Tds, Right before half at Va High changed the game, Unicio threw for all of their tds and right at 300yrds in that game, etc. etc. all the way to the Mo West game.

I agree..with the QB change and should have been made sooner IMO. The run D had most of its problems with lack of depth at DE and Tackle. And yea.. They gave up a few yards here and there, but it was the pass D that did us in most of the season. I mean Greenville had 8-10 yards at will most of the night and south ..with better execution would have beaten us by 40.. they had people open all night. And to give 256 yards passing to T.Hall a RB..playing QB(GREENVILLE) ..come on! And Unicoi? I won,t even go there! We need better technique than that TAUGHT!!! and to get burned by the exact same play 3 times against Mo west..and still no safety help that I saw..there should have been a safety over the top on that guy after the first one ..that kid could flat run!!

I agree..with the QB change and should have been made sooner IMO. The run D had most of its problems with lack of depth at DE and Tackle. And yea.. They gave up a few yards here and there, but it was the pass D that did us in most of the season. I mean Greenville had 8-10 yards at will most of the night and south ..with better execution would have beaten us by 40.. they had people open all night. And to give 256 yards passing to T.Hall a RB..playing QB(GREENVILLE) ..come on! And Unicoi? I won,t even go there! We need better technique than that TAUGHT!!! and to get burned by the exact same play 3 times against Mo west..and still no safety help that I saw..there should have been a safety over the top on that guy after the first one ..that kid could flat run!!

Unicoi threw the ball pretty well on a lot of teams last year, but there were WR's running way too free for a top notch program like Tennessee High. My two cents after watching the Vikings for years is that they rely too much on the front four getting pressure and hardly blitz against multiple receiver sets. I can't argue with their success, but the best way to take pressure off the back of a suspect secondary is to put the QB on his back before the coverage breaks. Good luck, Vikes!

I believe your assessment of the Viking program is pretty accurate Cap. From my vantage, Tenn. Hi is somewhat restricted from developing their Freshman talent by their middle school feeder situation. With only Vance to supply their Freshman football team ,there is little competition within class for important position development like QB. This places much more pressure on the Vance coaching staff to "get it right" or fall behind in development of the skill positions. Take for example last year's Vance team. The big kid was at QB and now I understand he is going to Science Hill to concentrate on basketball. Now your Freshman coaches will be scrambling to find someone to develop at QB this year. I know these things happen , but it is more critical when you don't have another team to draw experienced candidates from.

Science Hill is making 1 feeder school work, but they are twice the size of Tn. Hi. They have beaten all the middle schools up so badly the last 2 years that they are able to develop excitement and depth on a middle school roster of close to 50 players. That is the only reason it is going to work for them. I still believe it would be better for them if they had two feeder schools to balance it out.

Dobyns Bennett currently has the best system. Robinson and Sevier are always competitive and contending for titles. In football, they report to freshman camp with 2 QB candidates,2 proven RBs and so forth.

South's situation is close to DB's but not as deep. They get a handful of good football players every year out of Sullivan Middle to mesh with the group from Colonial Heights. Bradley Davenport at QB is a good example. Although Sullivan is a small middle school, Coach David Carter[ Stacy's uncle] always does a good job of competing and getting those guys ready.

The talent is in the pipeline for Tn. Hi. I just think it is "thin" because of the system. My understanding of the MLC situation the last few years was that Coach Stubbs asked his Middle school coach to put more emphasis on winning the Col. Hgts. game season opener since South was their big rival. This has been accomplished with Vance winning 2 of the last 3. Still the Col. Hgts. kids will add key players to their roster each year at South as they merge with Sullivan.

If I were a Viking my position would be similar to Cap's. The feeder system is what it is. Somehow the coaching staff has to promote BIG invlovement in the Vance football program. Things will not change at DB, SH, or South in the next few years, and Boone, Volunteer, and even Crockett are growing. I believe Central will be flat. Tn. High's only other source of additional talent influx into freshman football would be transfers from out of town or Central or East school zones.

Good post Crawdad??¦and great take on my post. Many would look at my last post as a shot at the coaching staff. But in contrary to the way the talent pool has been flowing, the coaching staff has made big strides since the ???Massacre at Maryville??? in 04??™. They continue to build on the experiences that they have gone through the last 4 or 5 years. But my point is that I??™ve only known of one man that could turn water into wine and we all know who he was??¦George Pitts over at King College! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Just kidding. Seriously though I have to totally agree with Crawdad in that THS is at a big disadvantage with its feeder program. Although I say again that if Coach Stubbs and his staff get more personally involved at the lower ranks we may be able to survive this dry spell. Even at the elementary level, daddy ball is many times not a good idea. You stand a great chance of loosing some of the better talent because of some father trying to push their child up to the top of the pile in front of a more gifted (but un-coached) athlete??¦if you know what I mean. But with no money to pay coaches??¦what do you do? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Cap- I'm reminding you that the BTAYLOR Mama personally invited you to come sit with us this year and cheer the Duece on....it all starts this evening at 5:30-- home scrimmage. Wanted to remind you to come on out! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Unicoi threw the ball pretty well on a lot of teams last year, but there were WR's running way too free for a top notch program like Tennessee High. My two cents after watching the Vikings for years is that they rely too much on the front four getting pressure and hardly blitz against multiple receiver sets. I can't argue with their success, but the best way to take pressure off the back of a suspect secondary is to put the QB on his back before the coverage breaks. Good luck, Vikes!

Hustle you always got good stuff to say about whoever you posting with. I know you Viking fan and you seem to be partial to Unicoi but you never talked bad about anyone. It's easier to see it how it its when you don't have a dog in the hunt. I always tried to be real but I know sometimes I was not.

Me and Cap had this discussion way back in '06. Only DC I ever seen put pressure on the QB was Watson. Other than than nobody knows how to play corner. Nobody knows how to teach corner play. Anybody ever heard of bump and run. How about man coverage. Highschool QB's throw to one man maybe two. It don't take rocket scientry. Eight to ten yard cushion...what's up? You want to watch film of a real corner? Watch Josef Throp. And to be honest...no one knows how to run a route either. It's no different than if you watched any track & field this year. Pay attention to the relays and tell me who taught them to hand off a baton. My daughter went to Oak Ridge and it was even going on down there. Nobody teaches the basics. There are basics for all skill positions that don't change. If you don't know them what you gonna' do? Corner is probably the hardest position to play on the field. And requires a special skill set. And requires technique. You don't know the technique it's like trying to cook with no knowledge of what spice to use. Most times in HS it's the position that gets the leftovers. Not good. When it comes to corner old school is best.

Hustle you always got good stuff to say about whoever you posting with. I know you Viking fan and you seem to be partial to Unicoi but you never talked bad about anyone. It's easier to see it how it its when you don't have a dog in the hunt. I always tried to be real but I know sometimes I was not.

Me and Cap had this discussion way back in '06. Only DC I ever seen put pressure on the QB was Watson. Other than than nobody knows how to play corner. Nobody knows how to teach corner play. Anybody ever heard of bump and run. How about man coverage. Highschool QB's throw to one man maybe two. It don't take rocket scientry. Eight to ten yard cushion...what's up? You want to watch film of a real corner? Watch Josef Throp. And to be honest...no one knows how to run a route either. It's no different than if you watched any track & field this year. Pay attention to the relays and tell me who taught them to hand off a baton. My daughter went to Oak Ridge and it was even going on down there. Nobody teaches the basics. There are basics for all skill positions that don't change. If you don't know them what you gonna' do? Corner is probably the hardest position to play on the field. And requires a special skill set. And requires technique. You don't know the technique it's like trying to cook with no knowledge of what spice to use. Most times in HS it's the position that gets the leftovers. Not good. When it comes to corner old school is best.

The huge cushion by corners is certainly the standard in NET. I personally have seen vastly different versions of corner/wr play in TN in the past, say 9 years of my observing. Also observed at many, many camps and combine 1 on 1's over the past three years, and kids from other areas will make the WR's fight to get off the line. Great experience. Comp, I may be a bit partial, but "some" NET WR's have been taught to get off the line vs. press coverage. They just don't have to until meeting teams from the west deep in the playoffs. OHHH, I wish NET teams would play the Rebs with press coverage....please please. If you know what I mean!

Cap- I'm reminding you that the BTAYLOR Mama personally invited you to come sit with us this year and cheer the Duece on....it all starts this evening at 5:30-- home scrimmage. Wanted to remind you to come on out! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

You can count on it MommaT. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> You know I couldn??™t miss the South vs DB match up. Probably have to get you guys to save me a seat for that one. Bobby is now out of the shadows of the ???Little Giant???, and with a new QB??¦.there??™s no secret who??™s going to be the work horse this coming season! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

What??™s up Comp?! Congratulations to you and yours for a successful and rewarding high school carrier??¦mission accomplished!!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

What you say about corner coverage is painfully true IMO. I too struggle with see how or why the coaching staffs continue to over look the fact that most QBs at this level in this area have their target picked out before the leave the huddle.

It really continues to amaze me that...year after year its cover 1 or cover 2 with a 10 yard cushion on the corner and thats it. I mean do they really not know how to teach a corner to show zone and then roll up into press or vice versa. If not then at least teach a little route recognition and technique to break on the ball.. not too many double moves from the WRs at this level to worry about. And I,m not getting on the kids at all ..there just doing what there told. just like i do 5 days a week..well better make that 7 days a week counting 2 days with Mama /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

What??™s up Comp?! Congratulations to you and yours for a successful and rewarding high school carrier??¦mission accomplished!!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

What you say about corner coverage is painfully true IMO. I too struggle with see how or why the coaching staffs continue to over look the fact that most QBs at this level in this area have their target picked out before the leave the huddle.

Thanks Cap, I appreciate the recognition. Nobody knows what the parent goes through until you see it first hand. As for them...it's one thing to get there...it's another to stay there and have an impact. But I am happy he got there. And proud. He's still alive and well and that is a good bag of groceries.