Who will coach Cleveland? Who are the new candidates?

auburn

Guys I believe alot of you are letting personal feelings cloud your judgment. 1st, Why would Coach Slaughter not take the Cleveland job for better pay and opportunity? Isn't that the American way?? Don't most people look to move up in their professions? Not saying Cleveland is better than Soddy but the finances were. 2nd, People like to bash coaches about leaving, loyalty and such? How loyal were you guys to your previous coach? How loyal are alot of places to coaches if they are not winning?? If it is about the kids and not rings, wins or losses then why do fans get on here and bash coaches for not winning? Why do you see high school coaches asked to resign or get fired all the time b/c of wins and losses? I have no dog in the fight but do know both EK andDanny personally. Both are good men, good FB coaches and I wish them the best. IMO loyalty to should run both ways. Good luck to the Trojans and Blue Raiders in the future.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys I believe alot of you are letting personal feelings cloud your judgment. 1st, Why would Coach Slaughter not take the Cleveland job for better pay and opportunity? Isn't that the American way?? Don't most people look to move up in their professions? Not saying Cleveland is better than Soddy but the finances were. 2nd, People like to bash coaches about leaving, loyalty and such? How loyal were you guys to your previous coach? How loyal are alot of places to coaches if they are not winning?? If it is about the kids and not rings, wins or losses then why do fans get on here and bash coaches for not winning? Why do you see high school coaches asked to resign or get fired all the time b/c of wins and losses? I have no dog in the fight but do know both EK andDanny personally. Both are good men, good FB coaches and I wish them the best. IMO loyalty to should run both ways. Good luck to the Trojans and Blue Raiders in the future.

I like the post, but if a coach is getting fired because of wins or losses than that is probably the only thing that they are bringing to the table. If a coach is developing productive young men, getting players to perform at highest level, and establishing a good reputation for the program; he has job security. Now eventually he will need to win, but winning is usually a byproduct of characteristics. If a player??™s value to a coach is dependant on how they can help them win, then a coach??™s value to the fans will be dependant on how much they can win.

Shoot, I've really missed the boat. I thought their profession was Classroom teacher. When they are wanting to drug test players don't they say that after school sports is a extra curricular activity. So why is it a profession for a coach. I don't remember anyone going to college and majoring in Coaching. Do you?

Why would you care if he took a job somewhere else if he is such a bad coach, you should be grateful. You can not play the victim both ways (hate him for coming/hate him for going). May be I am wrong but most coaches be willing to make a move in late March. Soddy will most likely hire an assistant, because trying to taking someone's head coach during spring practice would be bush league.

Never said he was a bad coach, I said we downed him. We downed him for questionable calls he made like going for two against Walker Valley instead of taking the game into over time, or allowing Red Bank to run down the clock on their game winning drive instead of using one of his 3 timeouts(We are entitled to have and opinion). I don't hate him for coming, I'm just saying their were better options. I don't hate him for going, his timing could have been a little better though. Coach Wilson is a good man, I'm sure all his intentions are good.

Never said he was a bad coach, I said we downed him. We downed him for questionable calls he made like going for two against Walker Valley instead of taking the game into over time, or allowing Red Bank to run down the clock on their game winning drive instead of using one of his 3 timeouts(We are entitled to have and opinion). I don't hate him for coming, I'm just saying their were better options. I don't hate him for going, his timing could have been a little better though. Coach Wilson is a good man, I'm sure all his intentions are good.

Hine site is not a luxury that coaches have. If going for two worked he would be a genius. Using TO during someone else??™s drive (telling your team WHEN they score on us we want more time), there is a lot of person on those ???O??? players when that clock is running out. Sounds like a coach that expects his team to perform. I personally would always go for two in that situation (in high school), 3 yards = win, EP could miss. (MAN UP). You and the other thousand coaches in the stands don??™t have to make that call. You hind site coaches have never lost a game. Those two situations could not be anymore on the fence, kudos Wilson for putting the game in his players??™ hands.

Brokedown, tell me how many coaches are asked to resign or fired because of their classroom performance? How many of the people on these boards actually know or care what the coach is teaching? I just think it is funny that alot of people, not everyone, like to get on the message boards and down a coach, treat the high school sports like college or pro BUT let a coach leave or move for more money then the same ones want to whine about loyalty and classroom teacher and yada, yada, yada!! I may be old school but my dad raised me to treat others as you want to be treated. So if you want loyalty from a coach you must be willing to show him the same. Also, coaching is part of the profession, the pay may not be the best but you are being paid to do a job. Clubs are extracurricular activities. I don't see guys on here bashing the yearbook sponsor for a bad cover to the book!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Look around coaches are not staying at schools for 30 years like the old days. Even the best are moving, example Gary Rankin. I understand and appriciate your opinion and I have mine as well so we may agree to disagree but as I said before i wish both schools nothing but the best and good luck in 09.

Brokedown, tell me how many coaches are asked to resign or fired because of their classroom performance? How many of the people on these boards actually know or care what the coach is teaching? I just think it is funny that alot of people, not everyone, like to get on the message boards and down a coach, treat the high school sports like college or pro BUT let a coach leave or move for more money then the same ones want to whine about loyalty and classroom teacher and yada, yada, yada!! I may be old school but my dad raised me to treat others as you want to be treated. So if you want loyalty from a coach you must be willing to show him the same. Also, coaching is part of the profession, the pay may not be the best but you are being paid to do a job. Clubs are extracurricular activities. I don't see guys on here bashing the yearbook sponsor for a bad cover to the book!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Look around coaches are not staying at schools for 30 years like the old days. Even the best are moving, example Gary Rankin. I understand and appriciate your opinion and I have mine as well so we may agree to disagree but as I said before i wish both schools nothing but the best and good luck in 09.

You have a good point wardawg, and you really used a great example. Now let me ask you this, Would Rankin have left Riverdale if they hadn't built the new schools in Muphreesboro? And what made him pick Alcoa? I'm almost sure you know why.

Hine site is not a luxury that coaches have. If going for two worked he would be a genius. Using TO during someone else??™s drive (telling your team WHEN they score on us we want more time), there is a lot of person on those ???O??? players when that clock is running out. Sounds like a coach that expects his team to perform. I personally would always go for two in that situation (in high school), 3 yards = win, EP could miss. (MAN UP). You and the other thousand coaches in the stands don??™t have to make that call. You hind site coaches have never lost a game. Those two situations could not be anymore on the fence, kudos Wilson for putting the game in his players??™ hands.

Yes call a time-out when the other team is driving the ball right down the field on your D, timeouts do you no good if you dont use them( it would be more like an insurance policy "if they score, we'll have some time to work with"). And why go for 2 when if u miss it the game is over and your headed to Maryville, or go for 1 and take a more talented team into overtime. But I understand what your saying, and like I said I'm sure Coach Wilson had good intentions for every play call he made. I wish him the best of luck at South Pitt, maybe he'll schedule a game of basketball against the Lady Raiders, that would be fun /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Yes call a time-out when the other team is driving the ball right down the field on your D, timeouts do you no good if you dont use them( it would be more like an insurance policy "if they score, we'll have some time to work with"). And why go for 2 when if u miss it the game is over and your headed to Maryville, or go for 1 and take a more talented team into overtime. But I understand what your saying, and like I said I'm sure Coach Wilson had good intentions for every play call he made. I wish him the best of luck at South Pitt, maybe he'll schedule a game of basketball against the Lady Raiders, that would be fun /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Us Rhea Countians thought it was a GREAT call. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Us Rhea Countians thought it was a GREAT call. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

lol, I'm sure you all did, and rightfully so. Us Clevelanders thought that 41-7 was a good game /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Brokedown, I see your point on Rankin. He did move to a school he knew would be in the running for many a state title. So we do agree on that. My point would be if you are in his position would you not do the same? I was saying that coaches are like anyone else and they are going to look for the best job possible. That includes teaching and coaching. For example, the guy that left Hillsboro to go to Oak Ridge just came off a state title and Hillsboro is a title contender most years. I would venture to say more money and a better teaching environment were big draws for him. I just feel coaches are unfairly judged at times b/c they are in the public eye and they work with people's children. This allows emotion to get in the way, nobody thinks twice if the air conditioner man takes a job with a rival company for more money but let a coach go to a rival...look out the fur will fly!! We could point and counterpoint each other all day but we will both see some differences. I have enjoyed debating this with you though and even though I will let this post go, I hope to discuss other topics down the road. The dawg is out! good luck and good night.